Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Poll..how long do you normally keep a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Mar 13, 2015.

?
  1. 1-2 years

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 2-5 years

15 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. 5-10 years

15 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. More than 10 years

54 vote(s)
    46.6%
  5. I never sell one of my cars

28 vote(s)
    24.1%
  6. 0-1 years

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Working on my Chebbie yesterday I realized things I was doing should have been done years ago. Then it hit me just how long I have had it. And my other cars too. I painted it in 2006 and I was thinking it was just a couple of years ago.
    So I thought while nursing a bad shoulder at home I would post a poll. My first attempt at a poll.

I know some of us have their first car. I wish I did.
    There are some I noticed that seem to have a car for sale as soon as they get it finished.
    How long do you usually keep one of your HAMB FRIENDLY cars or trucks before you send it along and get something else? Don't really care about your newer cars.

Edit: Oops. Had to add an additional choice I forgot for those who do not keep them for a whole year usually.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. There isn't any set answer for me. If I like a vehicle, I may keep it indefinitely. I have one that I've owned since the late 60s, another since the late 70s. Some I've kept for a year or less....

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Anything I put love into, permanently. Hate losing loved ones.

BobMcD likes this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my two cars I have now I've had one for 39 years and the other for 25. the other 35 or so cars I have owned I would say I had them for 6 months to about 3 or 4 years. I bought and sold a bunch of cars in the 80's, not so much to make money, but just to have different old cars to cruise around in. made money on some, lost money on others, probably broke even when it was all said and done.

5. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

In the past, I would by a car for the summer, then sell it next spring to get another. Sometimes, my younger sister would get it. I always had a "Spare car" to play with. This last one I've had for 19years! It was a stock original when I purchased it.

6. I have regretted letting my first hot rod go for years. I've had my current hot rod for 20 years. I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. I'll die with this one. It reminds me of too many good memories from when I was young and innocent.

56don likes this.
  7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I keep em until they're dead.

Deucecoupe likes this.
  8. Your original pickup was one of my favorites back in the day. I bought a 28 RPU thinking of building it just like yours. I also regret selling my first real hot rod. But luckily, I bought it back and won't make that mistake again.

9. Timbofor

Timbofor

As far as daily drivers. I usual buy a non running crap box for a couple hundred. Fix it up and drive it for a couple years. Then I get tired of it and sill it for a decent profit. Then buy a nicer crap box.
    For classics I've had my vw about 6 years and don't foresee selling in soon. My 58 apache is an heirloom passed down to me. The old man used to say "I'll never sell it, burry me in this thing" now it's mine, and I say the same thing. "Dig me a big ass hole, cause it's gotta hold my truck too"

10. 35desoto

35desoto

I voted 5-10 years but have had one car 36 years and the rest between 4 - 10 years so it all depends on which car we are talking about. In the main tho I tend to keep them as I cant bear to let my hard work go and regret selling my 35 Desoto some 5 years ago. You never seem to get back the compensation for the effort that went in so I keep them and just enjoy them. I do admit that to get another car I need to let something go so my O/T 68 Chrysler will be sold to let my next "desire" into the garage.

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since 1962---------53 years now.

lothiandon1940 and 56don like this.
  12. I like to say I keep them a long time,but in reality they slip through my fingers fairly quick..I had my Deuce 4 door for about 12 years,my deuce pickup for 8 , my deuce roadster for about 7 years,,and of course Don's deuce coupe for about 5 years.

I have owned my '65 Ford pickup since 1973.

lady hrp is better at it than me,,her '54 wagon has been in the family since it was new. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have never sold any of my running (pre '64) hot rods. I've let a few bodies go over the years, but for the most part I've kept the majority of them. But it's getting to the point where I really need to offload some of the extra bodies though.

14. Some of us keep cars too long.... How many here have multiple cars that don't get driven much (if at all) or have multiple 'projects'? Are you really going to get to all of them? Or are you more-or-less a hoarder?

15. You talkin' to me?
    Thats me alright. I still have 7 cars that I have had over 10 years. I have only worked on 3 of those and only 2 of them in the last 3 years. But I have gotten rid of 3 vehicles the last couple of years that I knew I would never get to. I would keep them if I were in my 30s or 40s, but time is getting shorter..

16. Had my last driver about 8 years and out about 80K on it in that time. If I have a good one I hang onto it until I am totally bored with it or it is all used up. :D

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Varies, I've only owned thirty or forty cars, some only kept a week or two, some two or three decades.
    The ones I have now I've had less than ten years

18. My '46 Coupe I bought in '78 and passed it onto my brothers wife in '85 when I went away. She still has it and says that it is my car to this day. So I guess I have a car and a bike that I have owned since the '70s. But I haven't used either one since the '80s.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Buy it, build it, sell it.. Buy it, build it, sell it...

20. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I 'sold' my first 1941 Ford pickup in 1980 for $1500...he drove it away, as I stood in the dust questioning my decision of ''uh ohh'' and a deep gut-wrenching pain...I was broke again in 1 week and realized how dumb I really was ---even more now as time goes on.....fortunately, I have 'replaced' my loss with another (albeit 25 years later), but what a devastating headache I had for even selling ''my truck'' I loved (and cheaply)....I still have fond memories of that 1st love, and though the replacement is 'acceptable',.... I wouldn't wish that 'bad moment' syndrome on anyone:confused:.

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have owned the impala for 30 plus years, I bought it with bingo winnings!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426281360.387057.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426281381.636992.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426281405.254797.jpg

22. My Rambler, first car, my dad's car since 78, my model A- 5years building- sold, 1950 chevy truck prob 4-5 years- still building, prob keep it a while, I might sell, but I'm keeping the HEMI!

23. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

Normally, when I get to about 85 to 90 percent of done with the build, I can envision the final product and there is no further interest. I'll let her go to the first party that shows an interest and start another project. I don't care about drivin' 'em, only building 'em.

24. I have had a lot of cars that became f drivers and that was the end of the fun for me. I am just not a big paint and upholstery guy and once the build is done I am getting bored real quick, so I guess that somewhere between 70 and 90% for me at least 90% of the time.

moriarity,
    You are aware that I am in lust with your impala right? if you turn your back I'll steal your woman. :)

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I still have the first car I ever bought.
    I bought a new 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula when I was 18, yes I know O/T!
    Paid $4141.00 out the door with nearly a $1000.00 worth of options!
    Bought the '57 in 1983, 32 years this May.
    Paid $2500 and got a running parts car also!
    The '57 had a little over 29,000 miles on it when I got it, but had never been garaged.
    KK

26. I am somewhat like this. I get it nearly complete and push it into storage instead of selling it. Then start on another. I don't really get a big thrill out of driving them either. I don't care to drive anything on the roads now days with the overcrowding and bad drivers, kind of takes the fun out of it. It was fun back in the 60s and 70s when you might be the only one on a country road. Now even the country roads are crowded.

27. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I generally buy rusted out junk for cheap, spend a bunch of time and money building to a driver stage. Then I drive the wheels off of it until some other pile of junk catches my eye, and the process reruns. It usually takes me about 2 years to get it drivable (I am slowing down as I get older, recent builds are taking a little longer), 3-4 years driving before I fall in love with something else, and the old one hangs around until the "new" ride is ready, or almost ready to drive, then the old one gets sold and goes down the road. I'd say the hot rod stays here between 5 and 8 years total. I usually don't know if I miss something I've sold until a few years later, some rides have turned out to be better vehicles then others. I slightly miss some of the better ones. Gene

28. trollst

trollst
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I sold my first hot rod, cried as it left, tracked it now fifteen years, still don't have the money to buy it back, owner won't sell anyway. Haven't sold one again till this year, I built a Chrysler coupe and the new owner has a shit eating grin a mile wide. Don't like selling my shit though. Still got my 36, going on twenty years and 100,000 miles.

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought and sold until I FINALLY have what I will keep until I'm pushing up daises. Started with a '35 Chevy 2-dr in '66, sold in '71. Then a '34 Ford Vicky with '33 front sheet metal, sold in 6 mos. Then a '34 Ford 2dr in '72, sold second time in '90. A Wescott '32 roadster for 8 mos. A CA '40 Ford coupe for 6 mos. A '37 Ford 4 dr flatback for 7 yrs. THEN the present '32 Ford Highboy since 2011. THEN the present '40 Ford 2-dr since 2014. Last two are Keepers. Next Lotto I hit, the '56 DeSoto 330 will be put into something.

30. almost forever
    1929 Ford cabriolet since 1959
    1929 Ford CCPU since 1993, actually since 1963 with tudor and roadster bodies til '93
    1951 Ford club coupe since 1997
    1929 Ford coupe, since 2010 non-op

had a '63 Impala coupe/ht work car for only a few years, in the 80's, it was stolen/stripped
    had a '57 bel aire tudor '65 to '73, needed money
    I tend to buy slow and keep long term