Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features POLL: Canted quad headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Jun 13, 2021.

?
  1. Cant get enough of em

21.0%
  2. I'm in neutral

35.5%
  3. Cant stand em

43.5%
  1. If I were to get another '53-'56 Ford pickup, I'd have to put them in..they just look so right to me on those pickups.
    As for other cars, depends on the car, its theme/and other mods done to it.
    If you're into peoples commenting on your car, build a custom..everyone seems to have an opinion on them.
    I'm a fan of customs..as long as they're tastefully done..again another guy with an opinion.

Jim Bouchard and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the wheels and tires in fact post 65? That build of Larry's Hotrod at that time started in 63...it took a while to get it done so perhaps the slots and tires were available in 65...even though his Showtimes yes well into the late 60s and 70s...just curious...It truly is amazing how many times many Hotrods and Customs went under the knife in their meandering journeys...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

4. The rear tires look like Goodyear blue streaks which came out in '65. Those were race tires and not generally available initially unless you 'knew someone'. They started showing up on rods in '66 but were soon replaced by 'Wide Ovals' but those didn't come out until '67. The 'correct' big-tire look for the pre-'66 era would have been pie-crust cheater slicks. Same for the wheels. Alloy wheels weren't all that common on non-race cars yet, chromed stockers or Astros (either 5-spoke or slotted dish style) were still the prevalent choice, especially for show cars.

chryslerfan55, Jim Bouchard and Stogy like this.
  5. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I recall that car from the 80's in Addison, Il. where it was built by a fellow named Schmitt. Nicely done, too!

stanlow69, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  6. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you build a car with canted headlights, be prepared to own it forever. You'd better love it because there is no guarantee anyone else will. Some can look tasteful but most just look weird. Sorry, but that is my honest opinion.

That truck above looks tasteful.

Stogy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  8. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I like canted quads but, like a lot of stuff that's worth doing, it is very easy to get them horribly wrong.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Horribly wrong isn't limited to Canted Quads...everything including the rubber that meets the road can go horribly wrong Hotrod or Custom...

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and Ned Ludd like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That goes for the entire package not just the Headlights...it generally gets tossed around as cutting the ugly off...problem is Ugly is an opinion not necessarily shared by everyone...

11. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

The intention is to improve on the styling... not to just change something. Beauty is like art and sanity... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  12. George

George

lots of people change stuff just so they can say they changed it.

scotty t, rockable, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Exactly.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't...I generally buy into what I like and any change will be complimentary and bring positives rather than negatives...:confused:...I hope...:)...and with aquired Hotrods and Customs that may mean following in the former builders thought process...nothing wrong with that as many times the ole "wouldn't change a thing" gets tossed around here...so any further changes follow an established look...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

FHP>>>The factory chryslers are cool as hell. >>>
    FS2Q>>>I agree on the Chryslers, they nailed it.>>>
    Stogy>>>I generally buy into what I like and any change will be complimentary and bring positives>>>

gbb.jpg

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old thread but I am totally amazed about the number of people who don't grasp the concept that "Canted" means slanted or offset at an angle.

Still canted quads are like any other custom modification. They have to blend in and be a cohesive part of the total build or they don't work. Looking at Morarity's Photo in post 136. you see the blue car as one package where everything works in unison with every other part of the car, The other two you see the front ends and then you look to see the car behind the front end. The win goes to the blue car.

18. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>Still canted quads are like any other custom modification. They have to blend in and be a cohesive part of the total build>>>The win goes to the blue car. >>>

Yeah, agreed. Almost but still not quite as cohesive or good as Virgil's. 8^)

good.jpg

19. safetythird

safetythird

Let me add my 100% unbiased agreement to this.

20. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  21. But but canted quads…..:p

22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yyyeaahhh... I 'spose... Ha ha!

23. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>UGH!!! So wrong on so many levels!!! >>>

Hmmm. I don;t about that? I think I see some possibilities here.

cantundone.jpg

24. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

25. BJR

BJR

What part of the former Soviet Union did that {pardon the word} Car come from?

scotty t likes this.
  26. Well known Volvo from the UK...
    [​IMG]

27. 5window

5window

NO

28. I remember that car well. There used to be a show called the Run to Roslyn which was hosted by Mr. Harper among others and he always had the car there each year.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Surely you can’t be serious?

scotty t likes this.