Register now to get rid of these ads!

polishing stainless fuel tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelswithinwheels, Aug 30, 2011.

1. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

Was going to get the Tanks Inc. stainless fuel tank for my 32 coupe build. Since this tank is so visible in the rear of a deuce and an integral look to the car (imho) I was contemplating not painting it black, rather polishing it.

Anyone try this? Any advice on polishing? I've been hearing good things about Metal Wax and how easy it supposedly is to clean up metals. Color me cynical. I guess I will have to try it.

Thanks for any advice :cool:

2. Old&Low

Old&Low

Okay, first off, good luck with your '32! I read your posts about your build, it sounds like it's gonna be great, and I can tell you're putting a lot of forethought into it and are excited as hell! But (imho,) the fact that "Since this tank is so visible in the rear of a deuce and an integral look to the car," I would 're-think' all the work of polishing and paint it the color you'll be using for the body/frame. Picture your full fendered '32 all painted but with a polished SS hood; it's an integral part of the body too . . . . either way, have fun with it; it'll be great if you like it!

3. x 2........ I'd rather have it blend in then stand out IMHO.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I did the S/S fuel tank cover that I rolled up to cover the OEM tank in my 35 Chevy.

Use an 8" grinder for buffing duties. When finished clean out the buff as this stuff gets in everywhere especially the armature and bearings.

There are two (2) polishing bars:-

1. Grey coloured fastcut. Use it with a sisal mop. Compound is coarse and abrasive. Easily removes scratches left by belts P240 and finer. Ferropol M.G. is a softer compound and produces a slightly finer finish.
    2. Green coloured compound that is used with a cotton or loose calico mop. White compound is used with aluminium and stainless steel.
    Buy your compounds and mops from a proper abrasive store and wear eye protection as well as a mask to prevent inhaling all the residue. When finished you won't exactly be clean.

Have a look here for information. www.australianabrasives.com/compounds.htm

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I have a Rock Valley ss tank on the '40 that I intend to polish---it won't stick out as bad as on a deuce tho---

6. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

I thought it would give a cool look to the rear of the car and complement the Moon tank up front. It certainly would be different :D

Thanks for your input! :)
    stumpy, thanks for the info and link :cool:

Are you happy with the quality of the Rock Valley tank? Do you know if the Rock Valley and Tanks Inc. are similar in construction in re. to quality? Is the work on the tank high enough quality that it would look nice polished? Thanks man and good luck :cool:

7. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Paint it.

We paint the Rock Valley tanks all the time so they blend in with the chassis.

On a full fendered 32 you can run the rock valley tank because the frame horn covers hide the square corners on the sides. The rock valley tank is fabricated from flat stock and welded together. On a fenderless car you need a stamped tank IMHO in order for it to look right.

We use Rock Valley for all of our builds with the exception of using the Vintique tank on all of our 32 builds. I have no experience with tanks.

8. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

dontlifttoshift: thanks, as always for taking the time to post ! You are a great help :cool:

here is the Tanks Inc:
    http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ategory_id=81/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd167.htm

and the Rock Valley:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1932-Ford-Gas-Tank-Fuel-Tank-Deuce-Coupe-Model-Rod-/4537754246

The Tanks Inc. is 11gal. (stock size) The RV tank is avail. 15 or 20 gal.
    I'm thinking the smaller size tank would look better. The Tanks Inc. is stamped as well, no? Thoughts?

*** I was planning on frame horn covers

thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its good to be different, but different isn't always good !!!

10. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

Roger that ;)

11. Old&Low

Old&Low

Hey 'wheelswithinwheels,'
    We've got a Tanks Inc. tank for our Deuce Tudor, as well as one for our '35 P/U; they're both stamped. The '32's tank is an 11gal; I thought it might look a little more traditional and allow the rearend to 'show' a little better as well.:)

12. wheelswithinwheels

wheelswithinwheels

That's what I was thinking.

great info and you assured me about an upcoming $$ purchase. :):cool: