Register now to get rid of these ads!

Police speedo. Watch the rich boys play.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by injectedA, Jul 25, 2003.

1. injectedA

injectedA

2. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

That is killer...

M-

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I'd have to sell my car to get it,,,Dirty

4. the harley police special speedos seem to be pretty common at bike swaps.

5. injectedA

injectedA

The HD's are still affordable but I don't know that you can convert them.

Think I'll pop for a Autometer, pull the bezel, and lay in my own design. Talked with a rep at the NHRA nats a couple of weeks ago and he said you can mail it to them and they would rebezel your gauge.

6. wow.ive never seen one !i gotta have one!!(just not that one)

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Isn't that Goerge Poteet bidding for another one of those speedos. He recently bought one for $75.

Wouldn't that be nice??!!

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

If it's reading over 60 without being hooked up, I wouldn't want it. As for hitting the button. All that shows is the speed the cop was traveling. Pretty easy to hit the button as you're gaining on the speeder to pull him over. That's why we have radar now. If you're doing 60 in a 55 zone and the cop hits 70 catching up to you and hits the button there, you get a 70 in 55 zone ticket. All it's proof of is that the cop was speeding. I pointed that out to a judge and got it dismissed in my younger days. [​IMG]

They can't be all that rare, they put them in millions of cop cars. [​IMG]

9. injectedA

injectedA

$75? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] NO NO NO your lying. Right? And yep, Reet Poteet.

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

11. alchemy

alchemy

Those police speedos aren't THAT expensive. I got a white face NOS one for $99 once and another for $120 just like the one in the auction. Try to buy a new speedo of most any brand and it'll cost close to that, and not be near as cool.

Poteet is hard to read sometimes. I've never won an auction against him (that I can remember), but I sold an Essex dash once that I could have sworn he'd win. Some other guy just had to have it a little more. But I do know that Poteet is patient and persistent. He'll get his part sooner or later.

alchemy

12. injectedA

injectedA

Oh I know you to alchemy. [​IMG] Sometimes I'll see something I want, and BAM, your already on it. Mostly I watch it go. I can tell what your in to. But....soooomeday.

Were gonna go. [​IMG]

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

No sale at $318.88 with 1 second to go from a guy bidding the first time on the item. Typical [​IMG] Guess the guy don't get 600 bucks for his 75 buck guage,,,this time. [​IMG]

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just scored one at Carlisle for $100, NOS--it shows 2 miles on the odo. Got it from some poor devil who was dying of hyothermia and trenchfoot in the cold, cold rain--didn't bargain. Does anyone out there know any more about these things?

15. SimonSez

SimonSez

16. Dirk

Dirk

Did any of these things actually end up in Hot Rods In the '40s or '50s? I don't recall ever seeing one in any of my old mags.

17. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Somehow I missed this thread until now. Interesting topic.

[​IMG]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35558&item=2434517290

Here's the Stewart Warner Police Special speedometer that I bought last week for my coupe. It came from a 1965 Panhead.

While I like the earlier automotive ones with the white face and the orange pointer, this style is a better match for the 1960s Stewart Warner 2 5/8" gauges that I've bought for the car.

The speedometer mentioned earlier that George Poteet bought on eBay had a Buy It Now of $75, and he got there first. I think it was only listed for about half an hour.

I'm told that the Stewart Warner Police Special speedometers for cars used the same-sized cases, glass, and bezels as the large Harley-Davidson speedometers. They were calibrated to a higher standard. The earlier versions had curved glass. As far as I know, the only aftermarket five-inch speedometers that Stewart Warner made in the old days were for motorcycles and police cars.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

18. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Simon mentioned putting that gold Police Special speedo in the dash.

IF it fits, you'd end up losing the coolest feature of the speedo. The little knob on the side is a brake on the needle. The police would pace a speeder, pull the brake on the PS Speedo, and then pull over and ticket the speeder. The proof was the needle of the PS speedo frozen on the speed the speeder was paced at.

Anyway, the knob is behind the bezel, so if it's in a dash, you can't get to it.

19. spudshaft

spudshaft

There was a 1959 NOS police speedo on there a couple of weeks ago. Went for $200+.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Did any of these things actually end up in Hot Rods In the '40s or '50s? I don't recall ever seeing one in any
    of my old mags. "

I think these are one of the current totally bogus "nostalgia hot rod" things, stuff that just didn't go on actual rods back when but is now considered a hot period piece. Blue dots? Fuzzy dice? Visors (on cars not driven by granpa)? Motorminders? Necker Knobs? Mexican blankets? Swamp coolers? All are hot authentic period stuff now--but I think they largely either didn't happen or were used on totally non-rod type cars in the fifties and sixties. The police speedos ARE cool, however...don't know if I'll use mine or pass it on.