Register now to get rid of these ads!

points help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacMat, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CadillacMat

CadillacMat

I have a 55 Ford Victoria it originally came with a 272 but someone along the way changed it and put a 292 in it I can not.find points for it I think its a truck motor but not sure cant find numbers on the block and it has the old 272 intake on it the points in it now are shaped like a L and the points that I keep getting are just straight and I wanna put petronix in it but now I can't because Idk what distributor is in it. and the car is still 6 volt I know they make petronix 6volt. Another question I have is can I get a new distributor for a 55 Ford 272 and would it work in a 292?

2. F&J

F&J

I don't know about that year Ford, but most all older points can be found if you have a distributor number that is on a tag or stamped into it.

If you can get a number, get your local parts place to look it up

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

If its a curved points plate, its probably a 57 and later distributor. All YBlock distributors interchange except for the 54 which has a different lower gear. No such thing as a 272 and a 292 distributor. They are the same.

If I remember correctly, ford used the same points from 57 right up to the electronic ignitions.

Number one, you would be going backwards if you put in a 55 distributor. They were not the best and Ford improved them in 57. They will not work correctly with a later carb. You can get rebuilt 57 and later dizzys from NAPA, O'Reilys etc.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Take the points with you to a parts store and see if they have a printed picture catalog. If you can, take a picture of the points and post them here. Somebody will know what they are.

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Try Delco # F102PV. Number may have been changed as this catalog is 30 years old.