Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plugging dual diaphragm vacuum pump.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Itsbiscuit, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Itsbiscuit

Itsbiscuit

54 olds. Rebuilt original dual fuel/ vacuum pump. After about 100 miles started making a quacking noise like a duck. Changed wiper to manifold vacuum and put two plugs on the vacuum side. Got louder. Ordered new rebuilt pump from fusick. I'm going to leave wipers on manifold for now as I like the cleaner look without the two extra lines.

I want to plug the new pump from debris. Can I stick two plugs in or will this damage the diaphragm since it is sucking against a closed port. Would it be better to run a loop from in to out?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You paid for a double pump, use it. 1 line from the wipers to the pump, another line from the pump to the manifold. Pump should be marked In and Out or Wiper and Manifold.

If you insist on not using it, plug the lines. It will be better. It is designed so the pump does not work unless the wipers are on and the vacuum is low. This is controlled by the manifold vacuum. Without manifold vacuum, and with a bypass line, it will be beating its brains out all the time the engine is running. Plugging the lines will spare it some wear.

Carry a couple of pieces of rubber hose in the car in case it rains and you get sick of the wipers not working on hills.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

It may look cleaner but going up hill in the rain without wipers ain't fun.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I can't see how it would look cleaner. We are talking about one black rubber hose the size of a pencil from wiper motor to pump and pump to intake manifold. It would get lost among all the plug wires, vacuum hoses, fuel lines, and wiring. If you wanted to be sneaky you could disguise it as a plug wire and run it along with the plug wires on the side of the engine. Or make a hard line that goes out of sight under the engine.