Register now to get rid of these ads!

plexi-glass floor boards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49 Fleetline, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

i had this interesting idea the other day, to take a 3 quarter inch thickpiece of plexi-glass and some metal straps and put it in place of my drivers-side floor boards or even passanger and drivers, it would look pretty kool in my opinion, something i havnt seen before, at at least done well...

the metal straps would make it just that much more sturdy and then u can just weld it right up to the body without loosing to much structural strenght lemme know what u guys think of it, or how i could do it better..

:cool:

2. Sounds like a dumb idea to me. But hey, it's your car. If you like it then go for it.

3. Greezy

Greezy

Why?...Hopefully you arent spending that much time looking at the floorboard when you are driving.

4. steevil

steevil

I think it would be kinda neat. It would freak the hell out of any passengers that hadn't ridden in your car before.

This is not really a new thing. Lot's of 4x4 guys do this so they can see front tire placement...particularly rock crawlers.

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

You are going to be spending a lot lf time under the car washing windows.

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I think it's actually quite handy to make sure that you've run over the correct person. Plexiglass doesn't wear very well though, especially underneath a car. I thought about it once too because I thought it would be neat to see the ground rushing under your feet. Then I just bought a car with the floorboards rusted out and got the same effect for free.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've seen it done. The guy worked for a plastics company. The biggest problem is it scratches so easily that it looks like shit in no time if you drive it.

8. muffman58

muffman58

A 3/4'' sheet of plexi would more than likely cost several hundred dollars. I have a 1/4'' piece in my truck bed for the floor that wasn`t cheap! It does scratch very easy. I thought it was a good idea too! It will be replaced soon with wood.

9. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I had one of those cars with the rusted floorboards also until the night that I hit a raccoon. I had shorts on and got pieces of coon sprayed all over my legs. It was a good thing I was heading home. When I got home I went straight to the shower. The next day I was fixing the floor in that car.

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Waste of time.
    Undercoat won't stick to it properly. :D

11. You could always install a blind in case you didn't want to see thru all the time. Just a thought, not a good one mind you, but a thought. Pat.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

If you go through with the clear floorboards use scratch resistant Lexan.It is much better suited for your application its much tuffer than plexi and i have never seen a piece broken in use the way plexi does plus, a piece 1/8th to 1/4 will do the job.I have even cold formed lexan in a sheet metal brake and a shop i know of does this on a daily basis.Lexan 1/8 inch thick is so tuff that i once put an old windshield under a floor jacj in the back field and jacked up a monte Carlo without even any permanent deformation .I did NOT use it to work under a car I was just curious as to how tuff this stuff was as a stock car window how would it hold up to a piece of debris hitting my windshield

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I rode a boat in Catalina like that.........unless your planin' to drive it into a lake I wouldn't bother:D

14. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

lame idea... so rat-rodder-riffick

15. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

easier to just build framework and have no real floor... then whjen you get sick of the idea (read first rain or gooey mess)... do tthe floors right...

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It worked for the Hemi Under Glass, but they needed it to see where the hell they were going during those 1/4 mile wheelstands, and I'm pretty sure Hurst had a bigger budget than you do.

17. Mutt

Mutt

Why stop at the floor?

Mutt

18. kreapin'

kreapin'
    from St. Louis

Thats kickass...I think plexi floorboards would be awesome, imagine running over roadkill and what would get stuck onto it...:confused:

19. LMAO !!!!!!

20. Gumpa

Gumpa

I think it would be cool if you could get some nice looking lady to pump the brakes in a mini skirt while you were bleeding the calipers or something.

21. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

Plexi scraches pretty easy.. have soft slippers to wear when driving it.

Dawg

22. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Chuck Sanford. Full fendered '33 Ford. Everything was chromed or painted white underneath.

23. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

plexi floor? sounds like pimp my ride struck again dam u MTV DAM U!!!!

24. hemifarris

hemifarris

Don't do it...........

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Don't forget the Lava Light shift knob and nylon seat covers with a Scooby-doo headrest.

26. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Did I mention that car was built in the '50s? Long before RAT RODZZ and lava lamps?

EDIT: Rodding and Restyling. July 1957. Cover car. Says he was from Scarsdale, NY.

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something else to keep in mind here is that the correct thickness acyrilic to get this job done (which would be closer to 5/8 or 3/4) is VERY expensive and VERY heavy! I could see how if it was done right it might give sort of that 60's show car element to a car, but certainly not practical because of the road debris that you will get underneith. HOWEVER! If anyone decides they absolutely need to have this, let me know because I'm very close with an acrylic company here in town and just might be able to get a good deal for someone. Still won't be cheap if you want it done right though. There's more to cutting acrylic CORRECTLY (especially thick acrylic) than meets the eye! But I will be glad to help if someone wants some info. Just PM me.

28. I did a glass floor in a 67 chev p.u, that had a chromed frame, engine and trans. I stilll thought it was stupid. I think you'll find wood a better sound deadener

29. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

it's just an idea, it aint gonna happen cause the car ive got will be a high powered street rod but just thought it might have given someone a kool idea for something... by the way the day i put in a lighted shift knob is the day priests stop liking their choir boys

30. SilentMind415

SilentMind415
    from Stockton

I've seen a few of the cheese ball "velour and mirror" lowrider guys do plexi floors and never understood it. To each there own I suppose.