Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plenum size for Flathead blower intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:40 PM.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, thinking of making my own blower intake for a flathead. I have a few ways that I am thinking of doing this in my head. My blower is an eaton (cheap) that has a farely small mount surface. I Could modify a four barrel manifold to work fairly easily. the single plane unit that speedway made/makes (may be discontinued??) looks like it was made to be a blower manifold, not a flathead four barrel!! they want a lot of money for them IMO..... but notice there is no divider in the middle?? ask anyone how well their flathead four barrel manifold worked when they milled out the divider!
    [​IMG]

option two is making my own out of steel like below but thats a lot of plenum! [​IMG]

or something with a much smaller plenum volume like the navarro. the difference being the runners come in to the plenum from the front and back instead of the sides/underneath.
    [​IMG]

this makes the real question how much does plenum volume matter on a supercharged flathead?? is it better to keep it small?? I know there are calculations that can be done on an NA motor to optimize plenum and runners but I'm not sure that any of this applies when I bolt on a huffer!

Runnin shine and bobo1 like this.
  2. Nathan_1929

Nathan_1929

Flame me for not responding about a supercharged flathead, but my friend made a plenum for his FI big block.. and the rule of thumb he used was plenum volume equals engine displacement volume.

Been running pretty damn good for 20 years that way.

Runnin shine likes this.
  3. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

1 cubic inch of plenum volume per cubic inch of engine volume is a good rule of thumb. Custom intakes for forced induction applications are often 1-1/2, 2 and 3 cubic inch of plenum volume per engine volume, depending on how much boost and power output is required. For your Flatty, between 1 to 1-1/2 times the engine volume would be a good starting point for your plenum size. I have an EFI intake for the Chevy inlines designed specifically for forced induction in mind and I have it at 2 times the engine displacement and it works great for those wanting higher boost levels than normal.

Runnin shine likes this.
  4. Bored&Stroked

Bored&Stroked
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm having a hard time imagining a plenum for a 276 cubic inch street flathead Ford (given the port spacing) having say 276 - 414 cubic inches of volume. That would require an extremely tall box. Also, while having a larger plenum makes sense for higher boost full-out racing (as once the plenum is filled under boost pressure, then it has enough capacity to dump into the cylinders), it may not make a lot of sense for lower-boost street applications . . . due to a lag associated with filling the plenum and velocity issues under partial throttle and low boost (which you'll have the majority of time on the street). Given the size of your blower, I'd think that something closer to the Navarro design would work just fine. If you make taller/longer port runners - that should help with low-speed torque (based on better velocity and associated atomization). Just thinking out loud here . . .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    paintslinger805 likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bored&Stroked

Bored&Stroked
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a medium to large cube motor and higher boost levels (say 10+ lbs), having a bottom like the one that Tom Roberts designed might work great. I contributed initial funding to help this project get under way - but have yet to put my manifold on an engine. Another 'future project'! Arggggh!

This is the same manifold bottom that Magnusen then used. BUT - it is going to make an extremely tall package and I believe would work best with a big engine and a big blower (on the street). Notice how the runners for a sort of 'cross ram' effect at the center of the plenum - this makes a lot of sense to me (for port velocity).

BlowerManifold1.jpg BlowerManifold3.jpg

6. Bored&Stroked

Bored&Stroked
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another thing to consider is the type of outlet and where should it be in reference to the plenum. With modern 'delta outlet' blowers, one should set the blower back to move the outlet toward the center of the plenum. While this works great with 14-71 blowers and top-alcohol or top-fuel, it makes for some fun with blower drives. This would probably work the best with the blower you have - but would require a customized drive.

paintslinger805 and Runnin shine like this.
  7. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Here is a sample plenum I put together in Solidworks right quick to see what type of volume it requires for the size constraints of the engine bay with LxWxH just to see. The sample is 17" long, 6" wide and 4" tall and is 270 cubic inches in volume. A Flatty probably doesn't have the same air demands as an OHV engine since the airflow thru the ports is often much less in comparison. So a 1 cubic inch of plenum for 1 cubic inch of cylinder displacement is more than likely very sufficient for your needs in a street engine.

plenum1.jpg plenum2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV

Using a carburetor...plenum size matters a lot.
    Not so much with a belt driven blower, most any size will work well.
    You need pay more attention to port entrance restriction than anything else.
    If I were building one...it would be the top one in post #5. Longer runners..! Though the second one in post #5 is also plenty good.

Mike

9. Here are a couple of Flathead blower intakes I make. One to suit a 4-71 blower and the other can have an adaptor plate bolted to the top so you can fit different types / size's of blowers on to it. IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0808.JPG P1070959.JPG P1070960.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:33 AM
    juan motime likes this.
  10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this is the unit I'm considering, its an M112 and the opening appears to be about 6" square:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The motor will be street only. I'm not looking to run hard as the drive line is early ford. 3 speed and a banjo. I'm looking at around 5psi of boost in something around the 270-300 cube range... probably a big stroke with 3 5/16 bore.... 4 and 1/8 or 4 and 1/4 stroke... I want a nice SUUUPPERR flat torque curve that just pulls hard. this will be in a 32 btw.

One of the reasons I am inquiring about the plenum size is I don't want to put a "race" setup onto a street motor and lose bottom end. I can make the plenum small with short/no runners very easily while keeping my entire assembly low but I think having a longer runner seems to be a good thing for a flathead?? the speedway four barrel looks perfect for long runner small plenum... but it is definitely smaller than even a stock flathead. If consensus is a full 1:1+ ratio of plenum to cubic inch is "good" even on a street motor I can design around that.

if I get something that just matches up to the outlet size on the supercharger I think I can get a plenum in the 144 cubic inch range. outlet is about 6x6" so figure 4" tall =144. this would have to have the ports coming in from the front and back of the plenum. that's half the size of what your guys are recommending. bigger is much easier.

Dale, I can see that manifold being ideal, especially in a bigger high rpm motor. larger tapered ports in the manifold. looks nice. If I were to make something like that I would put the ports straight up and down so I could make it lower and narrower without impeding flow. basically it would look like a SBF EFI intake with a box around it.
    like this, mustang on bottom, explorer on the top.
    [​IMG]

11. earlymopar

earlymopar

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall one of the reason Tom's design was tall is that he left room for an intercooler as an option. - EM

12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've looked at his page, the inter-cooler is recessed into the top plate, above the lower manifold that Dale posted a picture of.

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

here is the top plate that bolts on to the lower manifold that would house an intercooler:

Attached Files:

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yes, this is how I remembered it. - EM

15. Bored&Stroked

Bored&Stroked
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom hadn't yet designed the intercooler top - which would surely be good if you were planning on any real boost - at 5 lbs, really not necessary. I may have to get in touch with him and see if he still has that top available - would be the right way to go for sure.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  16. Wow that's awesome. Looks like I need one of those. I really like the design of the inside. Big ports at what is that about 45 degree straight to the valves. I think the great Mr. Navarro once said that he got the most power from 45 degree runners. I could be wrong though.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

In looking at the supercharger where is the inlet? I always thought a Ford lighting unit would be the easiest to use.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    sidevalve8ba likes this.
  18. A quick google search shows its on the back, opposite the drive snout

Full Kustom, drunk mobile posting

19. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Like stated above it's rear inlet but you can mill put the rear upper portion. I plan to mill the longitudinal webs flatter and tap them to bolt a plate on for 2-3 97's.

I had originally thought of the.lightning unit as it would be easier. I think the jag unit will look a little better when I finish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. did this to my 304 and am happy with it......... used a 4x2 manifold....... easy and quick welded manifold comp 001.jpg blower mani 9 14 001.jpg
    welded manifold comp 001.jpg

Fordors likes this.
  21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

Ive seen 2 3 and fours all converted similar to that. What supercharger are you using?

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. trey32

trey32

Damn Carl, stack them dimes!!!