Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please tell me about these flatty heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Bought this flatty today. Seller said his dad ran it in a 40 Ford years ago hauling moonshine
    in Georgia. The 40 got wrecked but they saved the engine and stored it. It is suppose to be a 40 Ford engine but it has a 48 Ford dist. The cast bellhousing has 59 cast into it. I am mystified by the aluminum heads as I have never seen a pair like these before. The following is cast on the head: SCHRAGER AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING CO. LOS ANGELES S.A.E
    FIRING ORDER 15486372 I would like to know more about these heads and the history of SCHRAGER AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING. Any knowledge you can share is much appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Their not worth nothing ,heres my address ...lol

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

OK. You pay the shipping? Just kidding. But now I need to know more.

4. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I'll see if I have any lit. on them in the archives...if I do I'll let you know ..cool score though.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

6. Here's a photo that was posted on Hotrodders.com in 2004 by a fellow asking the same basic question. No one had an answer for him then.
    [​IMG]

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

WOW! Rich. Thank you very much for posting that pix. At least we can assume that maybe there are two sets of these heads in existence. Sure hop more info. is found.
    Thanks, JIM

8. F&J

F&J

Did you notice the different water necks on that pair?

There was an old thread here about a certain flathead finned head casting company that would put your logo on their head if enough demand.

I don't recall much more. I would think there should be similarities in the fin layouts and plug recesses if it was one of those.

willumbilt likes this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No (Thank you) I didn't notice as I was just enthused to see another pair. So now we know they were also made for the 49-53 flatty. Wonder if these were made by that "company."

10. what do the fordbarn guys say?

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

I have read all the replies to these heads on 3 or 4 different sites and as far as all these Flathead Gurus go ,you should have an answer by now,I am pretty dang sure they didn"t just make 2-sets and quit,If there was anyway to get ahold of Jr. Johnson,I bet he could tell you what they were,he has built and ran alot of flatheads.to bad theres not many real flathead gurus still around.GOOD LUCK

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks Brad. I did contact Tony Baron and he said: "When Tatersfield stopped making cylinder heads (early 50,s) they sold there patterns to this company, they are Rare. They are Rare."

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

One Fordbarner said;
    "The heads are made from the patterns formerly used by Tommy Thickstun for his brand of heads. In between they were modified to make Tattersfield heads. The same history is true for the intakes."
    stn

14. I just recently read something about them in a current publication Hot rod or TRJ or???

I'll look this evening and see if I can pull it out for you.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

THANK YOU. That would be great. I have some TRJ issues. If it's there I would be happy.

16. I looke dlast night and didn't find what I was looking for. it seems as though one of the old greats, someone akin to Navarro but probably not him worked for them when he was comming up.

I'll keep looking I still have about 3 stack to go through.

I do remember mention of that company in something nthat I have read in the last couple of years.

17. So now we know that they made at least 2 sets !! LOL So now yours are only worth 1/2 as much !! I think they are Bad Ass !!! >>>>.

18. Labold

Labold

Hell, if 19Fordy doesn't know about them than I am of no help :eek:

You are usually the one giving me (much appreciated) advice and helfpul info.

19. wgc1952

wgc1952
    from Ontario

19Forty

I am the guy who has the other SAE heads, good to know there someone else who has a set. I have not been able to find out anything about the heads. Where did the California location come from, is it stamped on the heads.
    I have them on my 52 F1, powder coated red and they look like a million dollars and seem to run real good in the garage, soon to make it down the road. Will post some pictures once I figure out how.

WGC

20. titus

titus

I know this is an old thread but ill add some to it.

I thought tattersfield was pre thickstun?

I see that the SAE heads were for sure the tattersfield pattern modified.

but the thickstun heads look nothing like the tats or saes.

jeff

Attached Files:

21. alchemy

alchemy

Tattersfield is after Thickstun, and Tattersfield made some parts in addition to the Thickstun line. There are Tattersfield intakes (4x2 and maybe 3x2) that Thickstun never made, as well as the finned heads. I've never seen a Tattersfield version of the Thickstun head covers or teardrop air cleaner though.

22. Elrod

Elrod

I just bought a set at Hershey. The pre '49 type.

23. willumbilt

willumbilt

Hope I'm not hi-jacking the thread too badly by asking if anyone can place a value on these apparently new Canadians I've had hidden away for awhile?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app