Register now to get rid of these ads!

please look, questions about CA registration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hron13, Mar 23, 2009.

  1. hron13
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 44

    from sandy eggo

    k so i've been reading on this forum about how to get my car registered and I want to run some stuff by you guys to see if i have the right ideas... oh and it is a 31 A 5 window coupe

    1. i make up a vin (ie *A123456) and stamp it on the frame, and in the door hinge area, and get it varified by a vin verifyer, then send it off to international titling(i belive that's there name, but they title your car, not for finding lost titles), they then send me back the title, and i register as a 31 model A in Cali

    2. or i register it as a special construction vehicle, outside of the sb100 500 alloted obviously, and they check out my engine to comfirm the model year, i have a 90 ford 302 block stroked and bored to 331 with alluminum heads and a edlbrock intake, i think i can get away with saying it is "from various years and manufacturers" by having my friend make me a recept for building me my engine, thus making it a crate motor(i believe), so i can get a 1960 model year for emmisions purposes.

    how's this sound to you guys i think the first is probably the best and most foolproof, but i am posting this to get some input from experienced people not my noob mind lol.
  2. Mazooma1
    Joined: Jun 5, 2007
    Posts: 13,598


    registering it "special construction" is going to be a problem.
    IMO, you are much better off going with the A reg.
    I've never heard of a good story from registering anything SC...
  3. hron13
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 44

    from sandy eggo

    so option 1 then, and yes it is a rediculous amount of text i know

  4. HR Classic Cars
    Joined: Aug 11, 2008
    Posts: 308

    HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

    Not sure about the law in CA, but I think this is true in most states and countries, making up a VIN is illegal. Many people have gotten in trouble with this, pretty sure this is how the guys going the Eleanor mustangs went down.. they made up vin numbers.
  5. Crazydaddyo
    Joined: Apr 6, 2008
    Posts: 3,205


    Thanks for coming on here and wanting things and not even introducing yourself.
    Did you even read the rules and guidelines?
    Who are you?
  6. Special Ed
    Joined: Nov 1, 2007
    Posts: 6,990

    Special Ed

    If you are a member of AAA, register through them. If you are not a member, join. Do NOT even consider the SC option. AAA can do the verification, and handle EVERYTHING for you, and guide you through the process.
  7. Jalopy Joker
    Joined: Sep 3, 2006
    Posts: 27,478

    Jalopy Joker

    Geez-You need to slow down and do some of your own research on this subject. Do a search here on titles/registration-lots of info already posted. Read the Cali DMV requirements for registration. Contact a title search company. ETC. Do not just come on here and ask for someone to help you break the law-do it on your own.
  8. hron13
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 44

    from sandy eggo

    sorry for not introducing myself, it sort of slipped my mind, im James, me and my friend Sam are building a 31 A 5 window coupe with a 331 for the powerplant, sorry guys, i wasnt trying to be a jerk:(

    but back to the point, how can i get a vin for it, i have an aftermarket frame, and a body with no tags, its an orginal body, but it has none of the original tagging.

    should i mabey use the engine# as a vin
  9. DragRacingTV
    Joined: Mar 21, 2009
    Posts: 21

    from So Cal

    the last time i registered a car that had fallen out of the ca dmv database, the dmv had to see the vehicle in person, and verify the vin number in at least two places.

    when i looked at doing ca special construction vehicles years ago, the smog requirements were based on the engine block number... even if you got an early engine block, you'd still have to get it checked every two years, i wouldn't suggest going in there with an unstamped block.

    the air-cooled vw guys have had major problems with engine cases that don't have numbers, that's how they make 'em in mexico and brazil... replacement cases, but it's resulted in lots of chp hassles, if you are doing a dune buggy or similar.
  10. vertible59
    Joined: Jan 25, 2009
    Posts: 1,058


    Will a swap meet title work in Ca? I bought a title at the Autofair in Charlotte, for the '50 Merc I built. The guy I bought the document from signed and notarized it on the spot, and the NC DMV accepted it with no problem. I eventually sold the car (big mistake) to a guy who re-sold it to someone in your state.
  11. Jalopy Joker
    Joined: Sep 3, 2006
    Posts: 27,478

    Jalopy Joker

    So, you still do not do a search here on this subject? Want quick response for your needs! Go look at info already posted, then come back with real questions.
  12. Falsifying a VIN number is indeed illegal in California and posting that you are considering doing that, with the number, on a public forum is downright stupid. There are many people on here including California CHP officers. Sorry man but you are just inviting trouble!
  13. hron13
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 44

    from sandy eggo

    well i was only resorting to that as a last ditch effort anyway, so i would like to do it legally, can anyone help me do this, ive been researching, seriously, and all i see is "find a vin", i cant, i dont have one, so i either do special construction, or nothing, and that to me sucks, im not an idiot, im desperate, so help or point me in the right direction please
  14. Hardy
    Joined: Nov 21, 2007
    Posts: 56


    Way to go "Crazydaddyo" drive the new member rite in the face, make sure they follow the rules!!! Cause everyone follows the rules on here:confused:
  15. hron13
    Joined: Mar 16, 2009
    Posts: 44

    from sandy eggo

    so, i guess im f'd, unless i can find an old frame or somthing, but whatever, i'll just take my time and register as a sb100 next year i guess, unless theres a better idea....
  16. jusjunk
    Joined: Dec 3, 2004
    Posts: 3,138

    from Michigan

    Well do some more research... Lots of guys found a way.. As far as some of the other answers youve gotten here fuck them. Some people just gotta pick on other people.. Do some more searching.. I cant help im in michigan and only know what works here ..
  17. FLAT6
    Joined: Dec 15, 2003
    Posts: 386


    You need to go to the dmv with the car and tell them you want to register a 1931 vehicle that you have been rebuilding and that it is out of the computer. Tell them that you can't find the vin number on the frame as it is obviously very old and possibly got wiped out in the many years of driving and sitting before you got it. They will send you to CHP who will check to make sure there isn't a vin and that the car is not stolen, then they will give you a blue plate vin and off to the DMV you go again with plenty of paperwork to fill out. It will be registered as a 1931 and will be smog exempt and require you to abide by the DOT laws in place when the vehicle was manufactured, i.e. no windshield wipers, seat belts, blinkers, reflectors, etc. That is how I have done all my cars. Just be polite and it usually works out just fine.

  18. there are better ideas.
    search REGISTRATION and TITLE.
    call CARS title service in temecula.
  19. coupster
    Joined: May 9, 2006
    Posts: 860

    from Oscoda Mi

    Streetrodder magazine did a multi part article on this subject last year I think. Try researching their web site.
  20. GassersGarage
    Joined: Jul 1, 2007
    Posts: 4,727


    In California, if the car doesn't have any vin numbers, it MUST be inspected by the CHP. They are the only ones that can issue a new vin number. They will apply the vin number to your chassis and body with the correct plates and rivets. After that, you can register the car as special construction and wait for the first of the year to get one of the 500 Y.O.M regs.
  21. scootermcrad
    Joined: Sep 20, 2005
    Posts: 12,375


    So why do you need to ask if you've been reading here. It's been covered over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

    Second, if you're going to go with "option #1", which is illegal (and you would know, because you read about it here on this forum), maybe you shouldn't publically announce it. It's none of our business and in-turn will make hot rodding more difficult for everyone when California says "we will now do cavity searches to register old cars".

    It's difficult enough with ANY car...
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  22. 61TBird
    Joined: Mar 16, 2008
    Posts: 2,640



    Take it to the local CHP office.
    It is best to call ahead of time,make an appointment and explain what you are going down there for.(You can't find the VIN on a vehicle you want to register.)

    Whatever you do...DO NOT show up in a non registered vehicle or have any outstanding tickets!!
  23. Jeeze, if you're going to make up a model A serial, at least make it match the factory ones and like add a digit to it. California is not too bad as the states go, though, there's no reason to break the law. It does vary some depending on what DMV office you go to and what idiot may or may not be at the counter when you walk up, but that's the same for every state.
  24. kenny g
    Joined: Oct 29, 2007
    Posts: 172

    kenny g

    Don't make up a serial no.Believe me they check,
    it may come back as allready on a car ,or stolen.
    stolen no's stay on record.
    Its agood way to get a vacation in the,
  25. notrod13
    Joined: Dec 13, 2005
    Posts: 988

    from long beach

  26. Beef Stew
    Joined: Oct 9, 2008
    Posts: 1,253

    Beef Stew
    from So Cal

    if you're going to make your own vin might as well do something cool like 'heydmvguygofuckyourself123' or 'thisisamodelavin456'
  27. Ball and Chain
    Joined: Mar 24, 2008
    Posts: 1,157

    Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

    pay the $0-250 and buy a junk frame problem solved!
  28. Sutton Speed
    Joined: Jul 15, 2006
    Posts: 1,118

    Sutton Speed

    I second that... quit asking questions and call CARS in Temecula.
  29. Geez Torchman, there was a good bit of rambling there and a little useful information, although very little regarding what the OP was looking for. ;)
    In California you must have a VIN number to get a car registered for the highway. No way around that. Now there are generally three types of VIN numbers for cars. The original as supplied by the manufacturer. A "Blue Tag" as issued by the California Hiway Patrol. The third is a rarely used but option where a frame manufacturer can assign a serial number and supply a statement of origin that can then be used as the VIN number. California also accepts titles from other states, as a general rule, but this can get touchy with titles from certain states, especially when it comes to assembled or kit cars, or non title states. It can be a crap shoot.
    It is legal in California to to stamp a legally owned VIN number into a replacement component, like a frame that is considered a "Replacement part" as long as the original part with VIN number is suitably destroyed.
    In the case of this OP he has a couple of legal options. One is to go the Special Construction route with a CHP issued Blue Tag and meet all the special construction rules, or wait for an SB100 exemption (500 per year)
    If he knew the original VIN for the car he could transfer that number in to the frame with a statement of facts that explained it and showed that the original VIN had been destroyed.
    It is also possible to have the vehicle verified as an original Model A by the CHP/DMV(although this can be tough with a highly modified hot Rod and falls under another California law with regards to vehicles that have been substantially modified and no longer represent the original vehicle), and then have the Blue tag assigned, but as an original car, not a special construction. I owned a Model A that was Blue Tagged with the title showing 1931 Ford.
    the key to any of these is understanding the law and being properly prepared before starting anything. have paperwork in order, including receipts for the major components like the Body Frame and engine so they don't confiscate it as stolen.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.