Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please help I'm a newbie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don task, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Don task

Don task

Hi guys I just bought a 1950 Pontiac fleetline and I was wondering if somebody could answer me a few questions. I'm not new to cars by any means but I'm new to 50s cars. I was wondering what the access panel is for inside the rear inner fenders. I know this might be a funny question but I just can't figure out why they would have an access panel. What are they trying to access there's nothing in there. Thanks

2. Maybe to access the upper shock mounts??

3. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

It could be for access to adjust the valves.

4. Where to hide the drugs...

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Don task

Don task

Why does this panel remove. I don't see any reason for it to be removed

Attached Files:

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

That's a good question.. I've never seen that before but there's a lot I haven't seen before...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They call it an access panel but what for???

9. rjones35

rjones35

So if you take it off and stick your hand in there, there's nothing at all? Gotta be for something.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could it be they needed access during manufacture to weld the body together then closed it off with a bolt on panel? It doesn't appear to give access to anything except the inside of the rear fender above the wheel arch.

Don task, rjones35 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"If ya don't know what it's for, why are you sticking your had in there?" That's what my mom would've said.;)

12. trim access possibly, my 51 chevy has them and I can see where thee was once trim over the rear wheel wells but is missing now. not all of the cars had trim over the wheel well though so no all needed them. also the bottom of the panels on mine had places where the factory fender skirts hung from and then locked into brackets at the front and rear of the wheel opening.

Don task, rjones35 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Brake adjustments? Bleeding cylinders?

14. That panel faces out toward the quarter panel. If you haven't already take them off, and clean all the crap out of the inside. then put them pack in a seal them up real good. if not it will fill the quarter up with dirt and water over time.

15. To pour in a quart of prop wash, 2x a year both sides.

16. Yeah, for those rear engined 50 Pontiacs

Hnstray likes this.
  17. southerncad

southerncad

Like has been said, I imagine for access to fender bolts or trims bolts, on my '65 F100 there was on on each kick panel so that you could access a bolt that held the front fender on:rolleyes:

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Why did the chicken cross the road?? If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?? What came first, the chicken or the egg??

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Don task

Don task

That's exactly what I thought I can't figure it out either. Thanks for your reply though I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't know what it's for

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

First of all Welcome to the HAMB! Having '50 Pontiac in the thread title may get more Pontiac people to see this. Just a guess but maybe having access through those panels would allow you to adjust the fit of the trunk lid. Did Chevrolet have the same access panels? Bob

Don task likes this.
  21. Don task

Don task

That's what it is! Thanks for your help. Accessibility to trim .

The37Kid likes this.