Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help identifying this Lincoln motor in my 53 F600 Pickup

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by logic2, Jun 24, 2018.

1. logic2

logic2

I just acquired a 1953 F600 Pickup / Flatbed in relatively good condition and it has a cool hot rod Lincoln motor.

Very cool truck and very original. All metal is in great condition and very low rust. Has the nice grille with the teeth !

Upon opening the hood, it appears to have a Lincoln Y-Block with a 2-bbl carb.

Although dirty on the top side, the engine is free and turns by hand.

The oil (dip stick) is very clean, smells good, no dirt or water.

The carburetor is clean and oily looking (not dirty or dusty).

When I removed the radiator cap, the radiator is wet and still smells of antifreeze.

I wouldn't think these old trucks originally came with a Lincoln motor and assume it was replaced at some point, but I'm not sure.

The only details I can find from searching on the internet, is that Lincoln made a y-block (368 ci) but I don't know much about them or what years they were made.

1.) Can anyone identify the engine from the photos below ?

2.) Are the plugs / wires / points / condenser compatible with anything else that I might be able to find at my local parts store ?

3.) Are these old engines known to be pretty good ?

4.) Can anyone identify that carburetor ? I'll need to know what rebuild kit to buy.

I'm optimistic that I can get it going, but need to know a few details before I start ordering parts, plugs, points, wires, carburetor kit, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Mike Nelson
    Denison, Tx
    ACME Garage IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3138.jpg IMG_3137.jpg . IMG_3142.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Looks like 52-7 Lincoln
    317 cube?

3. What are the serial numbers on the block?

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

War horse beat me to it check the numbers on the block

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. egads

egads

Some big Ford truck's that era came with Lincoln engine's

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DON'T TRUST THE DIPSTICK. Take a big enough piece of rod and go all the way to the bottom of the pan. That's where the water will go if there is any. Can't do that? Then pull the plug and see what comes out 1st, water or just oil. I wouldn't even put a battery to it for a starter crank til you find out. Best of luck, kool sounding truck...

logic2 likes this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is it automatic or stick?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. logic2

logic2

Stick -
    Looks to be the original tranny with original shifters coming through the floor and (huge) rear diff. It's a work horse with a big flat bed.

10. logic2

logic2

Will do.
    I'll do some research to find where the numbers are located and check it out.

Thank You !

11. logic2

logic2

Anyone recognize the carb ?

Need to find a rebuild kit.

Thx

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

017.JPG In 53 it could well be the original engine for that truck. Which would be a 279 or maybe a 317. I like the Lincoln engines. Parts are available that I needed. Not the most common engine.

13. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The strange carb may have a governor on it , tough to see but not uncommon.

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

F-600 pickups are scarce up here ... may we see a picture ?

15. egads likes this.
  16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I knew Ford heavy trucks were available with Lincoln motors but am surprised by the Lincoln valve covers. Would have expected plain or stamped Ford.

17. logic2

logic2

Are the points, plugs, condenser unique or compatible with other motors of the period ?

THanks

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My thought too. I would speculate that a truck of this age could have had any number of mods, from replacing a tired Lincoln based original engine with a passenger car long block, to just adding 'Lincoln' Valve covers for a little extra pizazz I tend to think the former is more likely.

Ray

19. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Are you sure that carb isn't a 4bbl? It sure looks like the "T-Pot" Holley that came on '53-'56 Lincolns, but the exhaust manifolds w/crossover were '52-'54 Lincoln (& Ford Commercial for several other years as well). This could be a Lincoln motor from '53 -'56, or some previous owner could have "dressed-up" his commercial engine by adding the Lincoln valve covers, or replaced his worn-out commercial motor with an available Lincoln that fit. Until you determine where this motor fits in the ECU series(the smaller Y-block ford is ECZ series) you won't know what you have unless you can measure the bore/stroke. Lincoln motors were sourced from the Ford Commercial division.

logic2 likes this.
  20. logic2

logic2

Thanks for all the good info.
    I'll check the carb and engine block #s tomorrow and post the details.

Photos of the truck coming...

THanks

21. logic2

logic2

IMG_3142.jpg

22. carbking

carbking

The carburetor appears to be the Holley type 1901-FF 2-barrel. A picture from the side would confirm/deny it being a 2-barrel. Mercury used it on the 255 in 1952. Lincoln used it on the 318 in 1952.

Governored versions (1901-SFFG) were used on Ford trucks with larger engines in the same time period.

To identify the carburetor, look along the edge of the mounting flange for a series of stamped letters and numbers.

The early 1952 Lincoln would be stamped EAD-9510-B2 List R-933-A
    The late production Lincoln would be stamped EAD-9510-D2 List R-933-1A

Kits are fairly expensive, but readily available.

EDIT - After posting, I seem to remember Lincoln calling that engine a 317. When we did our database, we calculated CID by using the bore and stroke. It shows as 318 in the database.

Jon.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    logic2 likes this.
  23. The carb looks very much like this one which is listed as EBY-9510-J LIST-803-6.

[​IMG]

logic2 likes this.
  24. Way back I had a 1952 F-7 Big Job that was originally ordered as a fire truck in Wilmerding Pa. It had the 317 and that is a two barrel carb backed by a 5 speed transmission. The truck was shipped from Dearborn to Howe Fire Apparatus where a WWII surplus transfer case and front and rear axles were installed along with the front mounted pump and fire truck body. I bought it and converted it to a dump truck as the PTO for the hydraulic dump cylinder was already there for the water pump. The truck had 514 gears and would top out at about 45 MPH which on the hilly curves was fast enough. Used it to haul; gravel on well roads, lime for farmers to spread on their fields, grain for farmers to make into feed. Sold it to a guy in Kentucky and lost track of it back in the 1980's.

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks for the picture Bleach! It shows the same carb as the OP's picture, & it is a 4bbl(4 holes/2 throttle shafts) available on Lincolns '53-'56(as well as Ford/Mercury /Thunderbird), which leads me to believe '53-'54 Lincoln 317" is most probable answer, especially with the exhaust cross-over.

logic2 likes this.
  26. logic2

logic2

UPDATE:
    Hooking up a battery and new starter relay got it to kick over and rotate. Sounded good with no mechanical issues.
    Started sputtering and trying to start...
    Very random and very weak spark. Going to rewire the electrical system.

Better photos of the engine...

IMG_3145.jpg IMG_3151.jpg IMG_3150.jpg

Toms Dogs and Hnstray like this.
  27. carbking

carbking

Better pictures, definitely 4-barrel, but still do not see the secondary diaphragm housing; which one reason I thought it might be the 1952 2-barrel.

The identification number for the 4-barrel is stamped in the same location as described above.

Jon.

warhorseracing likes this.