Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PLEASE HELP... Door Latch Spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Jan 30, 2017.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I'm hoping for some info from this great wealth of knowledge known as the HAMB.

The spring, circled in the pic, is broken on my 1962 Skylark driver's door latch.

I have searched up and down and can't find a supplier. The early to mid 60s GM cars all have similar latches, yet I'm coming up dry.

I figured between the Nova, Corvair, Oldsmobile and Pontiac there would have to be a source out there.

So... Can anyone help me out on this one?

Thanks in advance!!!

(The pic shown is from the net so I could show you what the spring looks like)

[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Leakie

Leakie

Take some measurements of the original and then do a google search for spiral torsion springs. If you can't find an original one you should be able to make something work.

3. I'm thinking you'll have to get another latch. Find one that's a direct replacement are one close with the same spring.

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Getting another latch isn't the problem... a repro 63-67 Nova latch includes the spring I need... I just dont like the $80 price tag that goes with it.

I have searched for spiral spring, torsion spring, spiral flat... Yada Yada Yada...

All the word combos you can come up with... I was really hoping someone here had already figured this one out

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

How about flat wire spring. Wind your own? Electricians use what is called a fishtape that is flat spring steel.

nailheadroadster likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

it's a special spring made just for that latch, so you won't find it anywhere that sells normal springs.

Sometimes you can get a good used latch for a rear door at an affordable price, and the spring might be the same. I had a similar issue with my 62 Chevy II, and was able to get one for free from a friend who has a 4 door parts car. ymmv

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Not for this application, but I've had custom springs made before. Vodvarka Springs can make anything you need. You might need to buy a few, though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Try McMaster-Carr or Restoration Specialties.

9. You might also try Year One. Not sure if they have inside door parts, but you never know until you check.

10. Looks similar to an old clock spring I saw once- a mantle clock from memory.
    There used to be a spring manufacturer here that had a "specials" bin, and had all their odds & ends in there, but alas, has gone the way of the dinosaur. Any spring manufactures nearby?

11. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

12. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Yeah, I'm actually talking to that seller.

It just kills me to have to pay 50 bucks to get a tiny spring.

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You might try re-shaping that spring [by either wrapping it tighter or un-wrapping] so as to gain enough length to make it work , I've done this with broken springs in old house door latches..

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Not much left of the original spring[​IMG]