Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please Help - 56 Buick Special Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuceswild557, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Deuceswild557

Deuceswild557

1956 Buick Special,40 Series, 2D, v8 322 Nail Head, Drum/Drum Brakes (Standard)

Good afternoon fellow HAMBers. First off I would like to thank you Car Gods out there that take the time to bequest onto us your infinite knowledge that has proven to be essential in not only mine but Im sure everyone's restoration projects.

With that said Id like to now tell you about my problem with the '56.
    I am 20 years old doing my best to make my first car, the 56', my Daily Driver.
    Virtually everything is in safe and great running order except one part.. You guessed it, the Brakes.
    Now I understand this problem and thread subject is all too common and, Im sure, has gotten rather annoying. but Im not the typical HAMBer who asks the same questions over and over rather than reading older threads. Ive spent countless months reading and re-reading virtually every thread pertaining to the 56 Special's one-time-deal brakes on this website and any other one I came across. unfortunately I didn't get the answers I needed so I finally forced myself to make this post to see what my Buick brothers had to say.
    On we go..
    I know there's no Master Cylinder kit available. I probably bought the last one in the world last month but It didnt work out too well.
    So i have two options: 1. Wait for 94-year old Anne Marie to learn to use the internet and put her Ex-husbands kits on ebay ,or, 2. Evolve with the times and convert to a new Brake system.
    Iv'e decided to go with Door number two and convert to Disc Brakes.
    The problem lies in not only the cost of doing so but the fact that someone else will be doing it. I can easily take it somewhere and pay the 1546 dollars or whatever it costs and have someone else do it but theres no fun in that.
    What Im looking to do is find a parts list or buy the brackets and search junkyards to do the entire work myself. Much like everybody here, Im sure, the adrenaline rush and satisfaction comes from the countless hours spent trying and re-trying and finally accomplishing the task; Whether it'd be brakes, wiring, duct, carburetor or engine work. It is a million times more satisfying to drive your beautiful project after building it yourself from the ground up. Ill take five years of personal Blood/Sweat labor, headaches, and personal growth -over- 6 months in the shop for my car any day. Im positive you all agree, otherwise this website wouldn't exist.

So finally.. the question:
    Does anybody have information or links as to where I can find the above mentioned brackets or parts list to convert my 56 buick Drum (standard) brakes to Disc breaks? Possibly a company that offers the list and Directions.
    Here's what I gathered so far to save us all time and trouble. Anything I am wrong about however, I encourage you to please comment.

Scarebird- I dont believe The 1956 conversion kit includes the SPECIAL as it is not mentioned?

Kanter- Only offers overhaul kits: Wheel Shoes, Hydraulic Hoses, Wheel Cylinders, Master Cylinder, etc. not conversion kits

CARS/Old buick Parts- Does not offer conversion kits for 1956 year

ClassicBuicks- Skips 1956 in virtually every important mechanical part. However only offers MC rebuild kits as well (for other years)

Classic Motor world auto- Same as Classic Buicks

Rock Auto- Offers a variety of brake parts, again only to overhaul

any information, comments, opinions, suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Once I get the brakes done I can get this baby back on the road where it belongs.
    Thank you for taking the time to read.
    -Happy Holidays-

Attached Files:

2. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Our stuff will due a Special no issue. We even offer a bracket to do the master with a modern remote res dual unit.

3. converted a 56 buick to disc brakes using scarebird parts and instructions. worked out great, customer was very happy.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I had a '56 Special. It was a great car. Still miss that thing!
    Welcome to the HAMB! It's refreshing to see a 20 year old not typing in Ebonics (i.e. words like OldSkool, Ratrod, etc....)

One of the things I found interesting on my Special was the wipers. Came in two styles, basic (which I had), and some kind of strange cam action setup.

Again, welcome!
    John

5. Long Roof

Long Roof

Scarebird,
    I have a set of your front disc converstion for the 1956 Buick but have not had time for the installation yet. You mentioned you have brackets for a master cylinder conversion for a '56. I didn't see any links on your website. Could you provide some more detail?

6. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

If it is a treadlevac I cannot help, if it is manual we can. This is one version - bolts to the side of the frame, we have another that uses the 3 bolt mount...

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER