Register now to get rid of these ads!

please help...1954 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Hi, im doin my first buick... a 1954 buick special 4 door... with a nailhead... im gonna lower it 3.5 inches or so.... any tips how to do this... can i just cut the springs?..... and i need to replace the brake system.... any tips or help on this car would be great...should i convert to an altinator?... also... does anyone know where to buy white wall tires cheap.... thank you... chris

Attached Files:

2. jt7282

jt7282
    from Midland Tx

should be able to cut a spring up front and 2" block on the rear. Convert it to 12v. wires for a 6v are heavier than 12v so no wires there but you'll have to change bulbs and reduce voltage to the gauges or switch them. starter will still work plus you can run a modern radio. Diamondback makes a affordable tire but it'll run you around $900. You can have a set ground out to make a ratty white wall and get the set for 4-500. Hope that helps, nice car btw

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

4. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

coker on the tires, heat the front springs and the rear I think is also coils.....they were on my 2. 56 buicks

5. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

look up kanter.com. they have all kind of Buick parts. I don't recommend cutting the springs. I cut mine and had problems. pay some $$ and buy new lowering springs.

6. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Jamco Suspension has new 3" lower springs for both front and rear and they are reasonably priced. Just got mine for my 56 Buick for about $370 for all 4. The HAMB discount paid for the shipping.

www.jamcosuspension.com

7. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

thanks... its alreadry 12 volt... and but im not sure what the blocks are for the rear... i dont cut the rear springs then??? thanks again

8. Orn

Orn

Blocks in rear are for leaf springs but your Buick have coilsprings so cut coils or lower springs are your options when lowering.

9. choptvan

choptvan

HELL NO. DO NOT HEAT THEM! Cut sure, but heat NO!

10. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

i agree no heating..... how many full coils equal three inches??? i think 1 coil in an inch and a half.... right???..... and the guy i got the car from said I gould get an altinator that hooks right up... he called it a single wire altinator... ??????? p.s. thanks for all the help guys.... Im digging this club.....

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Cut the coils don't heat them or the car will ride like crap. You have coils all the way around.

12. choptvan

choptvan

varies on weight. And you want to be sure that you can still bolt these in afterwards. So do a 1/2 at a time till you get it where you want it.

The alternator is internally regulated. You need to be sure you set it up right. Especially the brakets and pulley alignment.

13. metalman

metalman

If I remember right (been awhile since I've worked under a 54 Buick) the rear springs are tapered on both ends which makes cutting them a problem, you would have to fab up a new spring perch. PITA I know but I wouldn't cut more then 1 coil at a time, you can cut a little more if it's not low enough, cut too much at the start and you throw the spring away and buy more! 1 coil off always seemed to be the majic number for me on most cars to get it down without totally ruining the ride.

14. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Unless you need a very high charging output, like for a serious sound system, there's no real reason to convert to an alternator if you've already got 12 volts. Delco generators are plentiful, easy to get parts for, they work just fine, and they just look better.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cutting the front coils isn't a big deal as long as you do it like the guys said and don't cut too much at a time. On the rears as they are tapered on both ends you might snoop the local wrecking yard for later model cars with shorter rear coils with a taper at both ends.
    It might take a fews tries to get the right ones but it's an idea to work on.

And this time I have to agree with SRF in that if the generator works ok now and you don't plan to run a big sound system there isn't a real need to fix what isn't broken. If there isn't a generator on the car now it's time to look for an alternator. There are plenty of threads on the net on how to replace a generator with an alternator. Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money for a so called "one wire" alternator and just buy an internal regulator Delco alternator for a mid 70's early 80's GM car or truck with at least 60 amps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  16. missysdad1

missysdad1

Hey, man! Cover your glass when you're grinding! You'll ruin it if you don't!

17. jonahboo

jonahboo
    from NJ

18. deto

deto

and when you're done heating the coils dump a handful of sand down the oil fill and then 2 lbs of sugar in the gas tank. We're talking about how to ruin cars right?

19. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

YOU RIGHT... thanks ... didnt even think of that...

20. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

thanks... i hink im gonna stick to the gen....

21. hotrod34

hotrod34

78 El Camino rear springs lowered my 57 Buick 3.25" in the rear.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi sloppymotor. I've had a few Buicks...great cars.
    No to heating the coil springs. Sure...it's been done, and you can do it too, but be assured...you'll will screw 'em up. You'll get the car lower, but the ride will really suffer. The heating process (torch) is too localized...you know, a little here, a little there, and the spring gets all unevenly bent up, and loses its temper in spots, and the spring-rate left to right will never be the same. All that, along with the fact that the old Buick shocks might not be like new anymore, and you'll be pitching and yawing like a drunk airplane-pilot as you "roll" down the road.
    No to cutting the coils also. For sure, the rears are coiled to a smaller diameter towards the ends, so they can be attached to the axle and frame. I'm not sure, but I think the front coils may be ground flat on the ends. Cut them, and they won't sit nice in the pockets. But if they aren't ground flat, you could cut them, but...
    I suggest going to your local spring-shop. Tell them what you want to do. They've probably got the shorter springs you need. I've had this done, and the total cost of parts and installation was less than I thought it'd be.
    Be aware of your clearances...especially rear axle to frame. Also, good shocks help to keep from bottoming out. My Buicks were all a couple years older than yours...'51, '52, '53. I don't know if your car has the lever-type shocks as mine did. If they are...and they leak...they need to be rebuilt, otherwise you'll have to continually top off the fluid. Consider adapting tube-type shocks if needed. A spring shop might be able to help you there too.
    That's all I have time for...gotta go. Good luck, have fun.

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Disregard virtually everything in this post.

Springs:
    Get some JAMCO springs front and rear.. they'll set you right up. You can cut the front springs (go a half coil at a time, reinstall, check height, repeat as necessary.. time consuming but worth the effort).
    Out back, the coil springs have pig tails at both ends, so you can't just cut them. Lower blocks ("2-inch block on rear") is inapplicable because you can't put lowering blocks on a coil sprung rear end. You can clamp some of the coils together, but that kills ride quality. Do NOT torch them to collapse the coils.

One of the best things you'll be able to do is replace the front sway bar bushings... it'll improve handling dramatically.

The shocks out back are knee-action, and you'll need to rebuild those.

Moving to the wiring: it's already 12-volt. Buick was all 12-volt in '54. The Roadmaster in '53 was 12-volt as well.

An alternator is nice, but my '54 kept the generator while I was driving it daily.

Brakes:
    Replace all the wheel cylinders, soft lines, and get familiar with a dual-reservoir conversion. I used a kit from Master Power Brakes for a 1st generation Corvette, with a remote reservoir. It's spendy, but it's a lot cheaper than flying through an intersection. (which I did in mine, after replacing all the wheel cylinders. If you blow a rear cylinder, you won't have front brakes, one rear drum will be lubricated with DOT3, and the car will not stop on one rear drum with the E-brake. Or slamming through the gears to 1st. Trust me.)

CARS in New Jersey is expensive, but they'll have most of the things you need for simple rebuild stuff.

Good luck--they're fun cars.

-Brad

24. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

whats up man, i found this thread and was wondering how your buick is coming along?

25. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

scratch that,i just saw that you sold it, the 51 is slick tho!

26. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Thanks Bro... To be honest.. I kinda liked the Buick Better.. even though its a 4 door..it was Comfy.. and the ride great..

27. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Did u ever end up lowering the buick? And how if u did?

28. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yes..I Cut the springs on the front 1.5 coils, and bought 3inch lowering springs for the rear.. It Rode great..

29. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

^^^^^yep.

30. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

FIRST, get a shop manual, check your current ride heights, write them down, have a baseline. Keep measurements.

jm2c