Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please answer Poll

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by candyman, Jul 23, 2008.

?
  1. Type and quality of cars present

245 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Size of event

40 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Quality and type of entertainment at show

19 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. The people who attend or run the event

100 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. Don't attend. I hate car shows and car show people.

28 vote(s)
    8.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. This seems to be heading towards a car show rant thread... I hope not. As for me, I know it's impossible to put on an event without entry fee, but I still don't like paying $25 and up for a one day show, I don't mind paying more for GG or NSRA because of the multiple days, and abundance of door prizes.

That being said, I voted for quality and type of cars.

AND... Cutoff dates are a must!

2. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Billet Proof hands down is the best show Ive been to in a loooong time, tired of the
    local hokey parts store redos on total crap cars. its all about content to me

3. SlamIam

SlamIam

I don't go to parked car shows anymore, boring. I want to see and hear cars moving like they were made to do, so I only go to racing or driving events, CHRR is my favorite, also any event where I can drive my vehicle as part of the activities - poker runs, rallys, cruises, etc.

4. candyman

candyman

This is valuable information here... Our show had a cut off of '73... and I hear time and again that the atmosphere of our show is what was really cool about it. Not knocking any other shows out there... but ours is more like a party than a show. Which is what this is about for me... Having fun.

I can careless about trying to out do other people and stuff. Most other car shows come off like a big mass marketing campaign... and I'm really turned off by that. But we also have some cars that don't quite fit in... that show up... but are hella cool folks. So, do you turn away cool people because the car they drive has IFS? Where do you draw that line? At some point you lose that atmosphere and that is soooo important to me.

5. FuelFC

FuelFC

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

First and foremost, the ability to get there (gotta schedule around work). Then, what kinda people are going to be there, then what kind of / quality of cars, yes, in that order.

Oh the further I have to go to get to an event, the pickier I am ahead of time (you pays your money and you makes your choiches, and still screw it up sometimes :eek:).

7. candyman

candyman

And that is something to respect in itself too... I figure at least 10% of car folks out there can careless about parked shows or shows in general. But what about the other stuff at an event Sam? Do fire titties entice you? Would a burnout contest be enough? What about a poker run being mixed into the event some how? How can you get the cars moving and parked at the same time?

8. Searcher

Searcher

Friends going, distance, grass and shade are a plus, good food in the area.

Free car entry is a big plus or at least cheap.

9. candyman

candyman

I wish I would have added cost of event and distance to travel to event to the poll. I don't think I can change it after the fact though. If anybody feels it's neccessary please just post how you rate those things. How much is too much and how far is too far?

10. sorry, but the reasons in the poll have little bearing on whether I attend or not.

Proximity to home (not many in eastern NC), family schedule (2 teenage daughters into competitive cheerleading, extended family no closer than 2 hours away), and spectator friendliness (my rod is not self-motivated!).

Have one within 2 hours of home on a free weekend, I'm there!

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I didnt vote, because its a little bit of several things.
    First comes friends/ family that attend. I go to bullshit all day :)
    Second might sometimes be driving distance.
    Third may depend on the weather.
    I can have fun at most any shows, it doesnt matter too much what types of cars attend. Its all about attutude and fun.

12. candyman

candyman

I would hardly expect anybody but a good friend to drive over 2 hours to attend an event. Your other things listed are factors to be considered.... and in a way already are.

13. I go to see the cars first and foremost, that's why they are called "Car Shows" not "hang out with your friends shows", or for that matter dog shows, golf cart shows, or motor home shows. It's all about the cars. You then meet the people that are into similar things (cars!) and that just sweetens the pot.
    If a group of friends is going, that adds to the deal. If I meet new people and make new friends, even better. But I don't usually go to a show just to hang with my buds, I can do that anytime.
    I don't worry too much about what the show is supposed to be, IE: traditional only, pre whatever cut off etc. I don't go to lowrider shows, since I'm not into that type of car too much, and I wouldn't go to a Pro Street only show either, but a car show with a mix of cars will always have something to pique my interest and I can walk past the stuff that doesn't.
    Honestly, if I went to a show with 500 black primered, red wheeled, tall tired, flatty powered roadsters or unfinished, chopped top, Mexican blanket, no paint, "customs" I'd be pretty bored. Hell half the fun is looking at the weird shit and wondering "what the hell was he thinking?" Plus I have a wide appreciation for all types of modified cars - last night a guy came by my shop in an Austin Healey 3000 that had a laid back windshield, an SBC with 4 Webers, a louvered hood, knock off Halibrands and as Gray Baskerville used to say it was Soooo Bitchin'

14. SlamIam

SlamIam

If the show is mostly a parked car event, a burnout contest would be better than nothing, poker runs or a gymkhana better, but racing or cruising events with some parked cars are my favorites. Flashlight Drags and 1/8 mile events intrigue me, even a timed 60-foot event would be interesting. If moving cars creates too much liability, how about a dyno shootout to see which car club can build the most power out of a pile of swapmeet traditional engine parts?

15. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Is alcohol allowed and can I bring my own. All joking aside, if drag racing is involved, I'm there regardless....

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

16. jimmyv

jimmyv

How far, what type of show/cars, how hot it is outside.

17. Brandi

Brandi

I say the people that are there (I can be drug along to anything my friends are wanting to check out). I think the mixture of people and the vibe can make a show, regardless of what cars are there.

Then, the type of cars that are there. I'm going down to Seaside this year and it's typically a street rod show. But, we're all sharing a condo and going to party our asses off all weekend, so it's worth it.

If you talking about how to improve on your show, I know that the Oldtimers event is pre-'64 UNLESS you have an invite from a member. You could do something like that.

18. candyman

candyman

That isn't a bad idea Brandi... thanks!

19. There are three things that make a great show and things we look for in attending.

People, Venue (including entertainment), Cars. If ya got all three going for you, then you got a home run.

20. DBAG

DBAG

Good bands are an added bonus!
    For me cars are the main deal, it just sets the tone for the type of crowd it's going to get.

21. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

After the HAMB drags my favorite show is the downtown Anoka Saturday night cruise, usually 1000 plus cars and every thing from stock model T's to a GT40.
    The show is 75 and older with a special invite, This weekend any car entered in the Car Craft nationals in Saint paul is allowed in, the night the GT40 was there the Shelby American was the quest club.
    I very seldom go to judged shows- trailer queens are not my cup of tea.

jim h

22. coopdevill65

coopdevill65
    from tac ,wa

great thread! i am putting on my first show this year and always wondering what people would like to see. its hard to kick your good friend out of your own show if his car dosent fit. but like most people said here, the cars are first and the people are next. who wants to go to a show if everyone there is an asshole? shameless plug here... south tacoma alley rally august 8th from 4p.m. on and august 9th all day. fror you guys that like cars in motion there will be a dyno contest and bunout contest. fire tities entice me so much there will be a bikini contest as well. search the threads and check it out!

23. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, leave the DJs at home. Wanna-be rockstars anyways!

I like that beautiful rumble of a seldom-seen car and all heads turn, all mouths shut off. Then we all walk over to it en masse

24. dbradley

dbradley

Since all these "shows" seem to want to play LOUD music from the past and everyone sits around in lawn chairs, I choose not to go. Not even to the one that's 4 miles from my house on Rt 66.

25. none of the above.

My favorite car shows are the casual ones. People show up and park, period. No velvet ropes, displays, or attitude. No awards either. Just a gathering of cool cars, casual folk with some music and vendors to round out the day. i.e. Mooneyes Christmas Party.

26. I've been going to shows since the 60's but only since '02 as a partcipant. After hitting most of the local shows for a few years I've started to travel more, as far as 9 hours one way. Driving, don't own a trailer. Even at the big shows like NSRA York you see the same cars parked in the same spot and the same vendors year after year. Now I try to attend local and distant events that I haven't been to before. For example for the last 3 years I've been to the Wheels of Time show in Macungie PA. This year I'm going to Das Awkscht Fest, at the same location, just for a change of pace. The featured brand is DeSoto. How many of them do you see at shows ? Last time I went to an "antique" car show was in the 60's. Now those cars are in the show. See www.awkscht.com. Conversely, I go to York Nostalgia Nationals every year and plan to do so as long as they have it. The draw for me there is the people who attend. It's a drag racing family reunion. So the anwer is, it depends. I like to see cars I haven't seen before and old friends. Go figure.

27. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

I am sick of seeing the same cars at event after event. After about a year of going to shows you have pretty much seen them all. Where is the new stuff?

2cents.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

The type of cars first, the reputation of the event second...of course, if it's a show known for good looking honeys in attendance, that always helps. :D

29. candyman

candyman

I find it very interesting how low the entertainment falls on the list of peoples interests. It almosts seems that any effort to bring in national acts to a show are done in vain. I fully expect to top interest to be the cars with people running close behind.... but to see people have entertainment the lowest priority is a little unexpected.

30. I think the time the car show is held, depends on the turnout. If it ends in the afternoon, people go, look around and split. To me, not very fun. I won't even go.

If it ends in the night, or the next day, people loosen up a bit more, drink more, and take in the night time entertainment. To me, more fun.

Dragfest rocked in my opinion. They had racing, swap meet, night time bands and movies, overnight accomodations so no drunk driving, family oriented, AKA kids allowed, car show, vendors, and racing again the next day. I got to hang out in the pits with my friends until late in the night.
    It was great.

But I drink, and that is part of the fun for me. Those who don't might have a different opinion on that.