Register now to get rid of these ads!

Platforming a '57 Bel AIR[FRAME FLOOR SWAP]

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choprods, Aug 17, 2012.

1. belair

belair

Quit trying to justify this swap to whoever might not think it is kosher, and get it done! I think it is a great idea/upgrade. You are doing a great job.

2. If there is one point of this particular swap to remember is that I did not channel it......
    The cowl mounts sit directly on the frame at front.... and the trunk floor fo the '85 is joined to the sides of '57 s trunk at the stock "corner seams".....PLUS the trunk floor is not taller than the rear panel below lid,as it would then be taller and look weird when the trunk is opened....

This results in a mostly original stance and also does not end up with the floor being higher than the rocker panels when door is opened.

It also cuts down on the front frame horns being higher up into the radiator mounting area.....Also that would make for a much more severe angle difference in the steering shaft to the steering box.

this car could still set very low if one wanted a lower look by drop spindles or cut coils etc and the rear being coils also will make that an easy task.

I actually plan on leaving it alone as sorta like the stock appearance better and am sorta geting tired of the lowrider look.

3. I traded for a hood and front fenders today,and also ordered in all the [4]lower rear quarter repair panels and new set of rocker panels, these should be here in a few days.
    Will post some pics of that phase then....... that should really help the appearance of things a bit......

4. Hi Russell, good ta hear from ya......stayin busy-
    I built a new big house since you were here,so let me know if you are in country,you can come by again......I have room for guests....Orange Crush still available too.:cool:

5. This isn't a bad swap, because the 55-up body is the same width all the way down you avoid the issues the earlier cars have with the track being too wide for the body.

I just don't like the flex in these when the body's cut away (the '85), I'd want to box the frame rails or something. But that's just me.

The seat should fit fine, I had a '79 Electra seat in a '51 Chevy shell and it fit okay. Hopefully this started out as a 2-door, but if not that's a bolt-in swap. Midsize (Monte Carlo) may work too.

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

I am just getting back to that car. I built a 57' plymouth this year which I drove down to Joplin for the HAMB drags. It took going to to drags to get re-motivated for 55' project!

If I had been able to use the stock caprice floor, I would not have had to channel my car. It actually sits pretty close to stock ride height. I still have lots of work to do, but that is going to be my winter project since the 57' plymouth is at home now.

I want to take the car to the Drags next year, but don't know if the twin turbo smallblock I want to put in will be frowned upon. The Mallicot brothers were running twin turbos in their Willys back in the mid 60's, and so did the Turbo Honker, so I am going to bring her down and see.

7. RollinSlow84

RollinSlow84

Awesome work it all especailly on the trunk pan. It looks like it might have came that way. How did you measure and figure it all out? What were your references?

8. Actually,
    It really boils down to this.....
    It was just a very close fit comparatively between these two cars,not much more than a lot of tape measuring and noting the locations then comparing the two.....
    It was incredibly close at the critical points such as the width BETWEEN the rear wheel tubs-exactly same width....
    the wheel tubs were also same location [frt to rear] in both floors.
    I cut the Caprice wheel tubs out and pitched em as they were about a foot taller...

the worst fit if you could say worst is where the front floor kicked up into the firewall......
    The '57 had been sledgehammered there-at the lower firewall for a W motor or bigblock I think.....
    otherwise this all was very close fitting as these things are usually way the hell off....
    the firewall's lower uprights set very close to the newer frame there and allow about a half inch of tightening or adjustment when bolted down,this helps with the door's alignment some...

as for nice or nasty I suppose the factory original cars were dumdum or calked at theses corners for the same reason as this one is.....:cool:
    I did have to remount engine and tranny back about 5" to match the '57 firewall.....

9. Man!,it seems like my hobby stuff moves so slow I have to chalk a line to see any progress.....

Had a bit of time,welded in those front and rear lower quarter panel repair patch panels,and rough them in,installed a pair of rocker panels too........
    Added a new tail panel below the trunk lid opening too.
    its lookin a bit better even to me.....I confess the area destined to be under those aluminum quarter covertrims is still :eek:not too pretty.

the '57 rockers fit exactly on the outside of the newer donor's rocker panels with about 2" clearance.
    I added a strip if 1" by 1/8" bar stock along their lower edge and four braces to stiffen that lower edge of new 57 rockers some.....
    still in the rough here,but headin in the direction of progress.....

I also bought a few takeoffs from epay some fussy resto boys took off their show car.... got much nicer taillight housings and a crown fin moulding and a couple repro frt fender mouldings for the front clip....those will have to wait for later work to get done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. lawman

lawman

Nice work !!!! Please keep posting.

11. chop, lovin' it. that floor fits really well. what, if anything, are you going to do with the extra wheel base? i could be wrong here, but, i'm not sure how the caprice front seat and 57 rear seat are going to look together. may be fine with a recovering. that car will drive amazingly when done.

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Lookin good Kenny, I wish I could find some time to work on my own stuff once in a while!

13. rusty28a

rusty28a

Awesome work, Kenny! You should probably go back to the guy that sold you that and kick his butt though!

14. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

"Hotrodders The First Recyclers"
    Hey Kenny............nice work as always my friend.
    Cheers,
    Mike

15. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

subscribed.How did the 57 body mounts work with the 86 frame? Did you have to relocate? Great thread!

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

• Exactly, most guys who looked at that car in the classifieds probably saw it as a parts car to fix a munched 57 they had. With a thought of I can cut the quarter off but there is too much rusted floor to make it worth it and I'll just find a replacement quarter for my car instead.
    • Isn't hotrodding saving what no one else wanted and making a car out of it? I think that is the way it started anyhow.

That model of Caprice drove fairly good and cop car sway bars and some decent suspension upgrades are easy to find.

17. the wheelbase is doable as is......

Hey....Im happy and you did tell me how pristine it's rust was:rolleyes:

Terry, remember Sunday is a day of worship-for worsiping OUR projects,Ha

Hi Mike,we gotsa get together man!

18. the floor AND frame of the Caprice is used with just the outer shell of the 57 body welded to them,,,,,

19. This car is getting bucket seats/four on the floor.....sheet Aluminum bead rolled door panels etc.....ALA 60s street racer look.
    the rear seat from a 69 Buick electra 225 will fit perfectly in the body with the 57 arm rests- and on this floor even the fasteners work on floor.....
    This is a side job for my entertainment and is on no schedule thankfully so am trying to be creative with what is available rather than throwing huge amounts of cash at it....

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not normally a fan of frame swaps but you wont get any grief from me on this one,when its done to save a very rusty car I have no problem with it and after seeing it done might consider doing the same if I run into one I want that is on the rough side.

21. gwstorrey

gwstorrey

would love to see pics of your frame floor swap....(wont let me open thumbnails...attachments) I am considering this for my 50 merc
    Thanks,
    Greg
    [email protected]

22. Greg, there is an issue today with the Hamb's [upload of pics] I heard,should be back at a later date./soon.....
    This floor and frame is also what the Merc also fits on.....
    the 1/2" longer wheelbase in not detectable visually,also the 1/2" extra width is negligible and offset of wheels will hide that too....
    An update....
    the stock seats for the Caprice [or in my case] I have '69 Buick Electra seats.will bolt up and look good....a stock carpet set for the Caprice still fits.....
    about ready to start back doing some work on this project.... been busy!

23. gwstorrey

gwstorrey

I ended up buying a 1995 Buick Roadmaster Wagon for my floor/frame swap.

24. gwstorrey

gwstorrey

and by the way I did get the pics of your project eventually..... looks great..... I am excited to start my 50 merc.

25. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

so what ever happened to this build?

26. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

i would like to know too ;)

27. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

28. Rogga