Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods plates question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LazyS-mac, May 7, 2012.

1. Hey guys I just got my 1949 Stude C-cab truck on the road. When I got it there was no registration at all, just a bill of sale. I used a registration guy to help me because I quickly found out from the serial number that it was not a 1952 like the add said and my bill of sale said, but rather a 1949.

So I got some help to get it plated correctly. But it did not have any type of license plates on it so I just got it plated with standard modern plates.

After looking at it for a few weeks one of my biggest eye sores is those gastly {ghastly?} white reflective license plates.

Being a 3/4 ton truck it HAS to plated with a commercial set of plates. Being a '49 it need the yellow plates with black letters that say '47 in the corner, and btw I am in Cali.

The only vintage YOM plates I have been able to find that meet this criteria are already proffesionally restored plates and they want between $650-750.00 for them. I just do NOT have that kind of cash and I would MUCH rather have a set that are a bit weathered and fit the natural patina the truck has already.

Does ANYONE have a set of USED 1947 Commercial plates that they are willing to part with for a fair price?

PLEASE
    Thanks in advance for any help or for pointing me in a direction to look.

2. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

i hear you pal, the dmv doesn't require them to be NOS, but you will need a pair, keep an eye on ebay.. you might consider picking up just one 1947 plate but you will also need the '49 metal tab, and then maybe www.cr8-one.com can make you a duplicate plate.. save you some bread that way..

3. California will NOT accept a plate from cr8-one.com, it MUST be an original pair .

4. Shitboxdodge

Shitboxdodge

Wow! I thought YOM plates in Texas were pricey...

Do you have to take the plates by the DMV to have them "approved"? That is the process in Texas and it all comes down to whose line you get in...a couple times the person has had to call the supervisor over because they have no idea how to register the plates and they really scrutinize the plate. Others have looked at the plates while I stood there expecting them to turn them down because of condition and they say "look ok to me"!

Good luck!

5. The big deal is to make sure that they aren't "assigned".

There will be two or three guys at the upcoming GG Pleasanton swap meet that will have plates, hopefully they'll have your '47s.

6. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

You can call Sacramento DMV "Special Services" at 916-657-8035 and they'll run the numbers for you to see if they are clear. 1947's are a pricey plate. Single motorcycle plates I've seen fetch as high as $500.00. Good Luck on your search.

7. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Reading through these posts makes me realize how lucky I am to be able to run YOM plates on my cars registered as Historic Vehicles in Kentucky. They don't even register the plates to the vehicle. The only criteria is that you keep one of the two (not sure why they issue two since only one is required in KY now) issued historical plates in the vehicle with you. The only problem is most cops aren't aware of the statute that allows the use of the plates, so I also carry a copy of the KRS (Kentucky Revised Statute) that allows it just in case.

8. there are a few hambers who deal in california plates
    a few guys at pomona swap meet sell unrestored plates
    and try these,
    http://www.davesclp.com/
    http://oldpl8s.com/

also you have the fathers day swapmeet (LARS), I found my '47 car plates years ago for $25, held onto them for about 5 years until I had a car to use them on and they where still clear.

you need this tab:
    [​IMG]

but in commerical
    [​IMG]

you can use the ones with COM, BE, PC on the side. Remember the '47 and '51 plates are the highest priced, so if you find a good CLEAR pair for around $150-$200 JUMP on them.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

47 COM plates are hard to find, usually beat to hell and very expensive. Expect to pay at least $300-$400 for a set good enough to pass with the DMV.

10. Yes, In California you have to take the plates in to DMV. They check the number (something you can do ahead of time as others have suggested), they then look at the condition and check the colors and size against their master book. They also make sure they are steel. If they are no easily legible, they can reject them. If they have been restored, they can reject them. Then they check that they are correct for the vehicle you are trying to put them on. Next they will take a picture (or a big ol Xerox copy) of them and once all the paperwork is done, and fees collected they send it all to Sacramento (you keep the plates, they send the pictures) for final approval. You get a temporary sticker and they take back your current plates. If Sacto approves, you get a new registration and the new stickers in the mail.

11. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

sorry about my misinformation regarding cr8.... if the CA DMV scrutinizes that carefully, you may need a legitimate original pair.. ebay and Hemmings.. also, because of the commercial plate configuration, it's very unlikely that there'll be another set of plates out there with the same exact numbers and letters so they should clear..

12. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Speaking of YOM plates, I ran across a very nice '39 Maryland plate yesterday if anyone needs one (It has the the Exp. 3-31-40 date on it so my assumption is '39). Not perfect but no rust and 99% of the original paint in tact. I didn't purchase it but can go back and get it if anyone needs it. It was around $25. Let me know!