Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plastic Lense Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 2, 2012.

1. All the polishing info is great. But what about those FADED plastic lens? How to restore the strong red, amber, etc ?? Paint? What do you folks use???

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The color will often come back after you polish them.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used the Novus #1-#2 for years and it works fantastic!

4. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

What was that product the pinstriper/sign painter used to cast a replacement lens after making a vulcanized rubber mold on american restoration. He was showing ricks son step by step?

5. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

On very faded lenses, I have painted them with Testors # 1607, "transparent hotrod red". Being transparent, it doesnt block the light from the tail light bulb. It's available at model or hobby shops.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here ya go! Finding the unique wire connectors are next.

Attached Files:

7. Those actually look pretty good, Bob. Wish we lived closer- I'd take care of 'em for you!

8. FWIW, you could always get the plastic lens restoration kit that Mother's makes. For about $20, you'll have everything you need, and would have plenty left over for future projects :)

9. Like others have said, use 600 grit wet/dry paper after the paper has soaked for awhile. Then switch to 1000 wet. I finished mine by polishing with Brasso. I was working on a 59 Buick lens so the shape was similar.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The37kid:

Every time I read one of your posts I picture main st in Ridgefield and wonder if it still looks the same as it did in the mid 80's when I owned a business there.

I remember Ridgefield Hardware and the guy who ran the store was a bit of a character.

What was the name of the guy who sold hot dogs on main street?

Copps Hill shopping area and Friendly's were always a favorite back in those days.

The old Connecticut Kart Club used to meet once a month at the Odd Fellows Hall in town.

One of my good friends built about 75 Homes there.

Jimbo

11. Don't sue me because the car is sooo far O/T but it'll give you an idea..........

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

INITIAL SANDING:
    [​IMG]

AFTER DA'ing with 240:
    [​IMG]

HAND SANDING (DRY) and the after results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE POLISING PRODUCTS used in order from left to right:
    [​IMG]

AFTER USING THE SUPER DUTY COMPOUND:
    [​IMG]

AFTER USING THE PERFECT-IT COMPOUND:
    [​IMG]

FINAL RESULTS AFTER FINAL POLISH AND WAX:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Plastic polish is normally finer and less aggressive than the paint and metal polishes mentioned in this discussion. Not that some of those won't work, a plastic polish will provide a better final finish.