Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods plasma cutter/compressor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cuzncletus, Sep 14, 2015.

1. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I'm getting my new shop set up and need a compressor after dumping my complete piece of trash Lowe's 60 gal. as having nothing was better than that frustrating crap. I've used a Miller 375 Extreme plasma cutter for a few years with good results. I was looking for another 60 gal. compressor as I thought it took a pretty good size compressor to feed the plasma cutter.

A Miller rep at a show the other day said it doesn't take much compressor at all to power a 375. He said if it would pump 90psi it was good to go. He claimed to run his demo 375 off of a pancake compressor normally seen on construction sites.

I work out of two separated areas and having one big portable would be a lot better for me than another 60 gal. stationary. Anyone have any experience using smaller compressors on plasmas?

P.S. Good compressor recommendations are appreciated, too.

2. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've a miller 375 extreme & use an Ingersol Rand 80 gal. 7,5 hp & it gets a work out too. I'd up the capacity to 80 gallon minimum if possible. I've also used a portable nitrogen tank & generator when I need to cut a part out in the pasture off an old parts car. Flux.

3. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Purchasing a compressor, you should be more concerned with the cfm capacity at the required pressure. Tank is just a storage for compressed air. Also, many manufacturers rate their compressors by horsepower. This can sometimes be misleading because they use the peak horsepower rating of the motor, not the continuous horsepower rating.

4. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Just did a little research, your Miller 375 Extreme requires 5 cfm at 90 psi. Most "3 horsepower" hobby compressors will pump that much air.

5. aaggie

aaggie

When I built my back yard shop I researched compressors and bought a Quincy from Northern Tools. 5HP, 60 gallon tank and is rated for 20CFM at 175PSI. It runs my air tools, paint equipment and my Hypertherm plasma cutter. Best of all it is made in USA and was about $1400.
    Whatever you buy make sure and get a good filter/drier. Any moisture getting to the plasma cutter will destroy it.

6. Most plasma cutters use very little air.
    Some even have their own on board compresser stuffed into the small case.

7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I think the Quincey from Northern Tool is a good one . I bought a 10hp. For my shop because I use a blast cabinet a lot. The small compressors work harder to keep up and they tend to make more water. You need a good dryer to trap the water, plasma cutters don't like water. Rule of thumb is dryer needs to be 40ft. Of line from compressor to work best. Beside you will probably try to paint something. You can make your 40ft. Out of pvc pipe and elbows like a crossflow radiator and that will work. Just my 2ct. Worth

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

I see you are in SE also. Moisture was a big problem with the ones at work. A smaller compressor is going to have more.

9. I put a moisture trap right right on my plasma cutter. It also self drains when the air is disconnected.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. I would take in consideration any air tools or a sandblaster you might want in the future.
    As mentioned above CFM and capacity are important.

11. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I hadn't thought about smaller compressor= harder, hotter working= more moisture. Good point. I had a moisture trap in line in front of the 375 in my last shop. I appreciate the info about 40 ft. of line to cool and dry the air. I'll likely go with another 60 gal., just not anything built by Sanborn. Quincy is first choice.