Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plan of attack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

So what is your plan of attack with a car?

As in, do you "map out" what you are going to do with it?

("Okay, first I'm gonna get the FRAME perfect,
    then after it's a ROLLING FRAME the motor is going in...", you know, like that?)

Or do you just see things that need to be done and do them?

And if there's a WHOLE LOT that needs to be done,

How do you decide what comes first?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'd think it'd depend on what you started with. For a frame-up build I'd go in the order they use in "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" but with a complete car I'd probably attack whatever needed attention first- body, then mechanicals, then interior. My two cents, anyway.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

I think it would depend on if your building a car from scratch or something that runs and drives.
    Since all I ever build is ground up cars, the 1st thing is to lay out all the major components that you have sheltered to use on the car, example: block the body off the floor where you want it, block up the engine and trans, radiator, wheels and tires....you get the idea.
    Once I "see" the end result of what I want, I then compile a detailed list...
    1. Chassis fabrication
    2. Body mods and fabrication
    3. Drive train mods and rebuilds
    4. Interior
    With this done, I have a project "Guide", a "Reminder", a "Need to find that part" list, and as you complete items on the list, I get to mark them off, which gives me the great feeling of accomplishment.
    Agree or disagree with my idea, it works great for me.
    Glenn