Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Hang in there, faster don't always win Dragweek :) looks like a lot of people fell out last night. Is your class still together or has anyone dropped out yet?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els likes this.
  2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

YOUR BOYS FROM VENICE ARE ROOTING FOR YOU.

els likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Jim, it was great to see you and Steve and hang out for a while. Your car turned out great and I can tell you are having a blast. Best of luck on the rest of your trip/racing!!

1Nimrod and els like this.
  4. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Glad I got to say Hi this morning. Pics don't do the car justice. Fantastic work & car sounds great on the track. Too bad the times fell off a bit, but for a car built in 6 months with period correct parts, driven all over the countryside in a variety of weather, mid to low 10 s is quite the feat, my friend.

5. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Agreed. Considering your ET and mph you should be running a low 1.4 60' at worst. Try tire pressure, flashing the converter from idle vs. break standing (loading) it, stiffening the hell out of the rear suspension while loosening the front up as much as you can. And you gotta do a longer burnout. Get 'em gooey!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  6. I'd like to see if taking off the air cleaners would help. A "Hilborn" style scoop may help to.

els likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for all the tips! I'd be surpised if I could do anything to get the 60' time much better, without going to a smaller converter. but they weren't around in 1966. And I think that if I do get it to launch harder, it'll introduce some new problems. I'm content with how it launches, and runs down the strip. Like Jimmy says, it's quite a feat to run low 10s with a street driven altered wheelbase car, using all that old stuff. I'll take what I can get.

After drag week is over, I'll spend some time at the local Tucson strip, trying new things. I still have two more races, and a long drive back to Tulsa, before I finish this ordeal.

Today the weather was cooler, it was not as tiring driving. The car is performing great, the only thing I've had to fix is the indicator light on the shifter that tells me the converter is in high stall. The bulb burned out. There was a NAPA in a small town in Oklahoma, we stopped and got a new bulb for a dollar.

haven't had to add any oil to the motor yet, either.

1Nimrod, els and slammed like this.
  8. Jim
    Great to follow your trip, as it was to follow your build. Hope you meet the goals you set for yourself.

1Nimrod, els and squirrel like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I need something on the carbs because of the rules, I don't have a hilborn scoop, and I don't really like how they look on a car like this. The tire pressure needs to be where it is to keep the top end handling acceptable. And the tires are hooking ok, I don't feel them slip...they're only 7" slicks and I'm really amazed they are hooking as well as they do. The AWB thing really works. The suspension setup seems to be doing ok, the car just isn't set up to launch hard. It's kind of a tightrope walk to get the power to the ground gradually to not break it loose. I've looked at a couple pics of the car launching, the front is coming up almost all the way on the springs, there is several inches of upward travel. the front springs are soft enough so that they can work.

Tulsa_Monday__Drag_Week_2014-075.jpg

10. squirrel

squirrel

similar view of the car, driving down the road.

justinPic.jpg

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod, els and 2 others like this.
  11. CGkidd

CGkidd

Thats a awesome shot of you launching...

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

Man that must get some serious attention driving on the road.

1Nimrod, els and squirrel like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

yeah it does! speaking of driving down the road....

• Thanks for the ride Jim. Just AWSOME!!!!

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So cool. Rooting for you!

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How would a car like your act with some front suspension limiters for race not the road?

16. Cool little TWO!

It would fit in nicely at the Meltdowns in Illinois.

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

els likes this.
  17. Good luck for the rest of the week. Im out we broke a rocker arm. The adjuster screw pushed out and went right through the valve cover.

18. squirrel

squirrel

wow, sorry to see that Brian. This Drag Week thing is a killer..

another pic of a launch from the internet
    wheelie93.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    1Nimrod, els, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I hope you got a gasoline sponser,2800@60mph OUCH

20. squirrel

squirrel

just my wife!

Had some more fun today...not the best kind.... the car was not running quite right, and there was a rain delay, and I only ran 10.70 after messing up shifting. Second run, the car started popping and missing at the top of 1st gear so I got off it and coasted to a 13 second run. Not sure what's wrong, probably ignition issues, will play with it in the morning. Noticed as we were putting the tail pips on that a rear shock bracket broke off, so I removed the shock. Other side broke about 5 miles from Blackwell OK. stopped for gas, some locals were looking at the cars, so I asked who had a welder. a few minutes later a big pipeline repair rig shows up and Tom gets out and gets to work welding up my car....wow...great folks! At that time I noticed the gear oil running down the back of the 9" ford rear end housing. Yeah, that does not sound good. Made it to Tulsa a bit after 1AM. should be a fun morning working on the car.

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod and els like this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

In the immortal words of Joe Dirt "Keep on keeping on"

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep us posted today Jim

els likes this.
  23. You are the experiencing the "Beat it to death on the weekend, drive it to work on Monday blues". You'll get it sorted out.

24. Hang in there jim. We are all pulling for you! Hope you have a good day.

25. Engine sounds happy cruising along, what about your butt in those seats ?..ha ha

els likes this.
  26. Because of the rain delay, they're replaying the last hour of yesterday right now. I saw that pass where you backed out of it, and had to hop on the hamb to see what happened!

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn sorry to hear about the rear end issues. Hope it all works out.

28. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

els and squirrel like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Good shot from bangshift.

drag-week-2014-day-3-tvrp-raw-141_0.jpg

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod, els and 2 others like this.