Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Jim, Dan said his rear is moved up right at 7 inches, hope that helps the planning.

1Nimrod and els like this.
  2. Lookin good Squirrel! You dont mess around do ya!!!Please tell me yer gonna run a TKO 600!!! Also....make it easy to work on! You know...we aint gettin any younger....

els likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Sorry, it's an old slushbox for me. Besides...there won't be any one part of this car that will cost more than about $700. It's strictly a budget build.

My "free horsepower" pile continues to grow.

[​IMG]

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

Free horsepower pile!Haha!I love it!
    It's really cool that you're building this one with what you have at hand,and stripping anything out of the car that doesnt make it stop or go is exactly what you called it:Free Horsepower!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  5. Ya gotta love free horsepower!

els likes this.
  6. Butch M

Butch M

This is going to be a good one

els likes this.
  7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Glad to see you've started a project post for the Nova Jim! I wanted a 1st gen Nova, but the Falcon showed up cheap and was pretty solid, so I figured why not do a BBC in a Ford since I had to do the same basic fab work either way.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  8. Man Jim,did somebody light a fire under your arse,,you are making mad progress!:D HRP

els likes this.
  9. 1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  10. I love this build. May your front wheels yank soon! :D

els likes this.
  11. Budget build with lots of sweat equity!
    Subscribed

els likes this.
  12. Subscribed !

els likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Finally!, someone and something worth subscribing to.

els likes this.
  14. 67Chevy2

67Chevy2
    from USA

cool project, looking good already

els likes this.
  15. chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  16. pm sent ...

els likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

Your car would be pretty good in Hot Rod if it only had a small block in it...they don't let modern (post 1962) engine designs in the class. Usually cars like yours end up in unlimited, running against the really fast guys.

The rules are kind of strange...

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Another subscriber.Looks to be a fun project.

els likes this.
  19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Maybe the weight of the bbc will help keep the front end down.

els likes this.
  20. Doubt it, the yellow chevy ll in the video is a tunnel ram big block, sure looks like fun though.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  21. Who doesn't love these little Chevy II's?? Making it a drag car, just ups the cool factor AND saving it from the crusher makes you my hero.;)
    We always get a few of these showing up, at our Groundhog Gala.
    Super nice fabrication work. Subscribed and keep up the excellent work.
    JT

22. I'd just like to go, race... and have fun.

Sam

23. squirrel

squirrel

or daily driver. Anything goes, mostly.

24. squirrel

squirrel

I was looking at the fenderwell headers that Speedway sells, I guess they are Patriot headers for Tri-5 Chevys. They look like they'd probably fit, but the tubes go every which way, they don't look very stylish...and they look like they might hit where I plan to put the front frame diagonal braces. So, I've been looking into making a set of headers myself, which I've never done. The hard part for me is visualizing where each tube will go. I decided I needed to make a reasonably close model. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the neat legos they make for that job. Instead, i did some reading on the internets, and thought about it, and came up with this. The 2x4 has a couple bolt holes drilled in it, and a hole in the center of where each port is, based on tracing out a header gasket. The collector is pretty self explanatory. Each tube is modeled by a 1/4" solid aluminum rod, which is cheap, strong enough, and easy to bend. I made a bender just for the job, it's a bit under 3" radius so the bends it makes are pretty close to what the mandrel bends come in. I also made a 4" bender but didn't use it yet. The little block of wood is a spacing measuring tool, it's 2" long and notched on one end.

The tubes are mostly the same length. The second one is about 3" longer than the rest, which is about as close as you'll ever get on a set of production headers, from what I've read.

[​IMG]

WC145, Jokester, 1Nimrod and 4 others like this.
  25. That's a great idea Jim.

els likes this.
  26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I bought the dynatec build your own header kit from speedway for the last two sets of headers I built. The BBC kit comes with 3/8" head flanges 2" primary tubes and 3 1/2" collectors. The kit is for a chassis header, but I built fenderwell's out of them.
    Part # 418-65640. $145.99

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    VINTAGE DRAG MEET
    JULY 18,19,20 2014

27. iarodder

iarodder

Such an awesome choice, these Chevy II's make awesome gassers! I'll be following along for sure.

28. I think building your own headers is a good idea, then they will be different then the aftermarket offerings. Plus its fun to do as well !

29. Home Brew

Home Brew

I built fender well headers for my 40 Willys. I bought bent tubing, collectors, and flanges from Speedway for about $225. What made the job possible was a tool I found on the home made tool thread here on the HAMB. It was a protractor with a Gate on it that fit over the tube so you could mark the tubing for cuts. If you don't cut round tubing straight on an bend, you come up with an oval cut.

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd probably put the diagonal braces out closer to the end of the frame, so they're above the front spring perch. That will give better support and more header room too.

els likes this.