Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

The wheels and tires on the car now are just rollers...the real ones will have bias ply tires, and be more skinnier. I'm waiting to buy them until I buy the rest of the big items to build the car itself. Although there's not a lot left....some restoration parts, side and back "glass", transmission parts, and a few engine parts. Gauges and wiring.

1Nimrod and els like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

That make sense. But on this car, the front and rear frames are offset from each other by about 6 inches, and there's not much meat at the back of the front frame rails to attach anything to. It looks like the car was designed around the shape of the floor giving it it's strength.

3. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Really impressed with the front clip, Very nice job using the original front end structure. Car is really coming along nice. Some people say the roof buckles right above the post area(on a post car)) from torque of the body without the connectors, but they might not know sh*t ?, Frame connectors would be simple to make for a guy with your talents, Here's the connectors that im using, bolted in then welded. [​IMG]

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have lusted over your Chevy II many times is is a good looking car.

els likes this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, Nova subframe connectors still go in a straight line, just angled out in the rear to attach at the wider point, like Smokin Bill's. I've seen the aftermarket ones that bolt in, and they usually don't hug the floor like those that guys custom build. I like them either tight to the floor, or even contoured to the floor so they can be welded into the floor pans and look more "factory".

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

This is how I did a 67 Nova. The car was mini-tubbed and the rear frame rails moved in 3"on each side. I tied the rear of the connectors to the front of the rear spring hangers. I also notched the rear floor wells to bring the connecter up so it would not be below the rocker panel.

Attached Files:

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hey 31Apickup where did you get the bracket to roll the body like that?

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The rack to roll the car was basically two 1.5" electrical conduit ells, some straight conduit and the rest some scrap angle and square tube stock. I made two giant ells, then cross braced with the square stock. Aligned each end. I could flip the car 90 degrees by myself. Don't have the rack or car anymore.

9. squirrel

squirrel

Working on the roll cage. First I had to get the seat mounted, so I can figure out where I am, so I can figure out where the cage tubes need to be.

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod and els like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

els likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hate to keep on about the wheels, but Yeah I really like those old steel slots on the back too, you just dont see those everyday anymore.

Had to smile a little at the little poke in the ribs Johnny Gee gave you with the video only because we all can relate.:D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    els likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it's all fun!

The steel wheels are incredibly heavy...I'm not planning to use them. I'm thinking 4-5" wide up front, 7" in back. Aluminum.

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Admit it, you were makin' Vroom, Vroom sounds sittin' in that seat weren't you...:D

els likes this.
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You do some clean work, fast too.

els likes this.
  15. racer756

racer756

Looking good! Is that an Avion or Streamline Camper top in your shop?

els likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Avion camper.

Got the main parts of the cage in this morning, with a little help.

[​IMG]

17. squirrel

squirrel

Got an email from Hot Rod, letting me know that early registration for Drag Week is open to last year's top 3 finishers in each class. I'm registered! So the car has a purpose. That's always good to know...

18. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looks good from here dude! I may do one of those too?

els likes this.
  19. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looking cool. I am really liking the progress.

els likes this.
  20. nice progress ....

els likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks! I've been working on my 55 a little bit, I swiped the blower off it. And I'm building a new TH400 for the 55, because I'm going to swipe the transmission out of it for the Chevy II also.

22. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Gonna put the 55 into retirement and let it rest as just a driver/cruiser?

els likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

It still has an LS-7 in it, just not a blown LS-7. It's a fun car either way

24. squirrel

squirrel

I got the 55 running without the blower. I then built another TH400 to put in the 55, and took the "race" transmission out of it, for use in the Chevy II. The trans had 10 years on it, with one overhaul about 4 years ago. The direct clutches finally got kind of burned, the others are still OK, so I'll re use them. These clutches are expensive, the replacement for the direct are about $90 for the set. The torque converter is a 1500/3000 stall switch pitch. It may not have enough stall speed, but it's paid for, so I'll see how it works. I ordered the parts for the overhaul, and also a manual valve body. Getting a vacuum controlled transmission to shift right with a blower is slightly challenging, I got it working OK in the 55. But I want to try a manual shift and see how it works.

And I took the blower apart. I've never done it before. It had about 50,000 miles on it since it's last overhaul, and it has been making noise under boost conditions. Didn't see anything rubbing, but one of the rear bearings was kind of rough, and might have been spinning in the case. The seal were shot, too. I ordered new parts for it, and I'll glass bead blast the case and other aluminum parts to make it look good again. I'm also planning to install an old GMC front cover, to help the looks. And I want to make an older design idler bracket, to replace the modern clamp on arm.

The blower is a couple months older than the car. I like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Subsribed. Enjoy following the progress.:)

els likes this.
  26. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Lookin good squirrel, but I'm still trying to get used to those rear wheel wells! lol

els likes this.
  27. powrshftr

powrshftr

I never noticed it til now,but is your shop an old hockey arena?Just saw the scoreboard a few pictures back.

Man,I can hardly believe how good you've got that car looking.
    Going back over the initial pictures of a rusted out shell makes me do a double take!:)
    Nice work!
    I'm also gonna be following your blower rebuild,as I have a similar project coming up.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

els likes this.
  28. Very impressive, sir!

Thank you for taking the time to document and narrate the experience for us! :)

els likes this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks!

Basketball. It was from the local middle school, headed for the trash...now it's "art". Yes, it works.

30. squirrel

squirrel

Did some work on the transmission today, got it assembled, since the new parts arrived while I was off at lunch. I also got the gauges, and made a little plate to install them in the radio hole. Oil pressure, water temp, manifold pressure. They're the new Mexican made SW gauges, I hope they work. And I drug the engine out of it's hiding place, and set the blower on it. I'll get to work on the heads tomorrow, I also want to play with the cam timing.

Oh yeah...I also got the parking brake working, and the firewall pad installed, a few days ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi, 1Nimrod and els like this.