Register now to get rid of these ads!

Place's to eat in Joplin......

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by sodbuster, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I posted this thread last year that "Pizza By Stout" on Rangeline is a pretty good place to eat and it on the way back from the drags or only a mile or so north of the host hotel. I am sure that "suit" will chime in here for some other great "locally owned" places to have a bite to eat.

Oh yea, the Chicken with Creamy garlic sauce is pretty darn tasty......and the beer selection was real good and priced NICE!

http://www.pizzabystout.com/

^^^^but, I think that they need to "Atomic Industry" to work on their website.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-by-stout-joplin

Chris

2. L.A.W.

L.A.W.
    from Austin

We really like the Undercliff. It's a nice drive and the setting is super neat for pictures with your hotrod. The food is yummy too. They have a car they run at the drags as well. Here is the website I found:

http://undercliff.net/index.html

Cheers :)
    Laura

3. ponchoman

ponchoman

One of my long time favorites is Fred and Red's, a little diner on about 12th or 14th and Main. Specialty of the house is Spaghetti Red, a pasta and chili meal. It's worth a run by the place, been ther for at least 60 years, so that says something for the food.

4. ryno

ryno

all good choices so far.
    my personal favorites are mucho mexico, great buffett.by the praying hands in webb city. go down rangeline, make a right, oppsite of going to the track, on right hand side.
    woodies, great bbq, on the way to strip.
    i try to think of more.....

5. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I liked the Red, Hot And Blue diner, just down the road from the hotel.

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Theres always food around the parking lot !!!

7. Suit

Suit

Y'all have it pretty well covered! Pizza by Stout is a great local choice. It's right next to an adult book store on Range Line so you can kill two birds...

8. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

They close the whole month of August through Labor Day though. I have 10 pounds of their chili in my freezer right now since I knew they would be closed soon.
    MissyD
    (wife and secretary)

9. Suit

Suit

Within walking distance of the Holiday Inn are Olive Garden, Steak and Shake, Denny's, Ruby Tuesdays, Outback. Local favs for dinner are downtown and they are Kitchen Pass (Steaks), 609 (Great Bar but pricey) and Crabby's. Most restaurants here still have smoking sections and some even require that you take up smoking if you want to eat there. Red Onion is non-smoking and a great choice for pseudo California Cuisine. Across the street is the Waffle House which gives you a great meal and cardiac arrythmia. Their kids meal comes with insulin. The neat thing about Joplin is that it only has 50,000 full time residents but every day 250,000 people drive in from the surrounding areas to work or hang out in front of liquor stores. So, we have a lot of dining and entertainment choices for our sized town. There's a Chinese Buffet a couple of miles from the hotel which is good (ish) and reasonable but I'm still not sure what part of China Swedish meatballs and Pizza come from. It says all you can eat but the guys will come out from the back and stare at you if you stay too long.

10. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Is that rib joint on Ridgeline still there, I beleive it was called Red, White, and Blues?

jim h

11. Suit

Suit

12. Suit

Suit

We've swept that up since last year.

13. L.A.W.

L.A.W.
    from Austin

Red Hot and Blue has good ranch dressing...just in case anyone was wondering ;)

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

Don't forget Hardee's for a late nite choc malt....

15. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Woody's Smokehouse in Webb City is really good (as your headed TO the track just passed the last stoplight ON your left). BBQ and Beer, we usually stop on the way back into town Sat night.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hardee's is all you need.

and maybe eight white guys in a convertible impala...

and maybe a lady of the evening negotiating rates with a customer in the parking lot...

and an escalade full of joplin's finest driving by real slow like...

17. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Fred and Red's is closed through the summer.

18. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

But Fred and Red's is for sale if someone wants to buy it and open it.

19. MoKanMan's Son

MoKanMan's Son

Oh man, don't get me started about food...

Mexican: Maria's
    On 32nd east of Connecticut. I suggest the chimichanga or fajitas.

Burgers/Chili: Stogey's
    On 7th street west of Rangeline. My favorite is the double chili-cheeseburger with curly fries.

Burgers: Babe's
    On North Main at Fountain. Try the Chubby Cheese Basket or any of the salads.

Wings: Hackett's Hot Wings
    Between 5th & 6th on Main, some parking on main, more in the lot behind on Joplin St.

Pizza: Woody's Woodfire Pizza
    On 7th St. west of Maiden Lane. It's been awhile since I was there, but it's good pizza.

20. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Mcdonalds just a short stagger from the hotel.

21. Suit

Suit

He warned you not to start him on food. Now you've done it!
    (Nice turn out at the CDRA Event last weekend!)

22. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Fred and Reds couldnt be beat on the Spaghetti Red. Stogeys is owned by my cousins so I am biased about that place.Back in the day I would have recommended the Dairy Jane on Main and 26th if any locals remember that place. Burgers and cruising. That place belonged to my grandmothers brother. Stouts was always a favorite too.

23. geemann51

geemann51

My pop lives in Joplin, so we always sneak in a nice dinner and cocktails over at 609. As mentioned, it's a little higher end, but the black and blue ribeye is incredible. This will be my 5th trip to the drags and each time we have dined there, no reason to change things know.

24. L.A.W.

L.A.W.
    from Austin

I think we are going to tag along with you this year if possible...sounds delicious! :D

25. hkestes

hkestes

Moved from Joplin area to Dallas about 15 years ago. Really miss the Stout Apple Pizza and Babes Onion Rings. Looking forward to both in August.

Can't remember the name of the place but there was a sandwich shop in the shopping center on the North West corner of 20th and Rangeline that made their own bread that was really good.

26. ryno

ryno

20th and rangeline is home depot, service center, big nickel, and the plaza with redwing and cici pizza. i cant think of a sandwich shop around there. maybe long gone? ive only been here for 4 years so maybe it was before that....??

27. geemann51

geemann51

Bring it, the more the merrier.....

28. Red hot and blue has some tasty catfish for a chain? type place. A Few years back we hit the Farmers market for drags food, they had some food vendors there with good stuff, it was East of that McDonalds on Rangeline you turn at for the drags.

29. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! And say stuff in a different language till you get uncomfortable and leave.

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and there will be again this year... no reason to change a tradition...