Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pix of wood and metal car stands (not jack stands) and ramps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 25, 2021.

1. atch

atch

For years I've saved pix of wooden car stands, metal car stands, and car ramps. Most of these came from the H.A.M.B. but not all. Where I could I've used the original poster's hamb name in the file name. Some of them I saved so long ago that I have no way of knowing whose they are. Also for the most part they were constructed by the original poster. The wooden stands are mostly in the style of cribbing but some are of box construction and a couple are just plain old weird. The ones labeled metal are mostly steel but not all. The ramps are self explanatory.

I am not endorsing, criticizing, or even critiquing any of these; just posting. At least one is for display only and not intended to hold up a car. I will say, however, that over the years I've seen some that I deemed (at least in my mind) to be so unsafe that I didn't save the pix. Some of the ones I'll post I would not use myself but that's not to say that the original poster didn't feel safe under a car that was held up by the posted example. When it comes to crawling under a car I'm a real pussy about what's holding said car up and off of me. If I thought it wouldn't hold up a loaded dump truck I probably won't be using it under a 2,500 pound hot rod.

I have done many searches to find these pix and the threads that they came from. I'm sure that I've missed many more.

You'll notice that I've not included jack stands. That's a whole other ball of wax and most are manufactured and commercially available. I'm focusing on stuff that any of us could build in our own shop. Or in some cases that a competent welder could construct (and I'll be the first to admit that this leaves me out).

So here's the point: if you have any photos of stands or ramps would you please post them here so as to have one consolidated reference thread. Please give credit to builders if you know who they are.

I'll respond first with wood stands, then a response with steel stands, and lastly a response with ramps.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Poverty cap likes this.
  2. atch

atch

WOODEN STANDS:

325W.jpg 0624200801.jpg 0624200801a.jpg AAFD.jpg block 1.jpg block 2.jpg block 3.jpg block 4.jpg deto.jpg eventho.JPG fiftyv8 1.jpg fiftyv8 2.jpg fiftyv8 3.jpg fiftyv8 4.jpg fiftyv8 5.jpg fiftyv8 6.jpg fiftyv8 7.jpg fiftyv8 8.jpg J53 2.JPG J53.JPG Kent Vanhelsing 1.jpg Kent Vanhelsing 2.jpg Kent Vanhelsing 3.jpg Mr48chev.jpg rusty1.jpg rustydusty 2.jpg rustydusty.jpg sevenhills1952.jpg unknown1.png wheelblk2.jpg

kadillackid, vtx1800 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. atch

atch

4. atch

atch

Steel stands:

Bandit Billy.png blue one 2.jpg blue one 1.jpeg blue one 2.jpg blue one 3.jpeg blue one 4.jpeg blue one 5.jpg CTFuzz.jpg Donut Dave 1.jpg Donut Dave 2.jpg Donut Dave 3.jpg DSCN0879.jpg El Gordo.jpg PIC_0009.jpg PIC_0010.jpg Robert J. Palmer 1.JPG Robert J. Palmer 2.JPG Robert J. Palmer 3.JPG steel stand 02.jpg steel stand 03.jpg steel stand 05.jpg steel stand 08.jpeg WheelStands4.jpg WheelStands5.jpg WheelStands6.jpg X-cpe.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021

5. atch

atch

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

We used to call that cribbing (wood stands). We would shore houses up on them, back in the day

Blues4U, thintin, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  7. atch

atch

Yep; still current technology.

Stogy and nochop like this.
  8. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have worked under 600 ton steam generators sitting on proper
    wooden cribbing. Most of the examples displayed here look adequate
    as far as strength capabilities. The vehicles shown sitting on their
    own wheels with no visible or very little chocking systems is a
    different issue altogether. I would not care to be under a vehicle
    in this position. The fellow under the deuce sedan is in a very
    precarious position in my opinion. It appears to me that perhaps
    some zealous working efforts could induce catastrophic results
    if the vehicle were to roll and come off the stands. Just my opinion.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a shot of both styles, I fabricobbled the wooden ones with scrap lumber and the metal ones were garage sale purchases with removable ramps. Sixty plus years ago I used concrete blocks:( Now I am afraid to get under a car with jack stands unless I have two sets of them or something else under it "just in case"! Stude rear qtr 1 21 2019.JPG ramps.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. I loved these.
    9A2CF8CF-0FFD-405E-B095-E2813612A6B9.jpeg
    They were part of out frame equipment. After the body dimensions were corrected, these stands were nice for welding in rockers and other sheet metal while holding the car in its natural position on its wheels.

VANDENPLAS and vtx1800 like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I did the ramp/stands like one of the pics shown. I used 2x10s cut off at a 45. 4 steps. Easy to drive up on. Mainly used for my kids little import cars so I can scurry under to change the oil.
    I too don’t feel safe under Jack stands, even the ones I built with heavy walled pipe.

vtx1800 likes this.
  12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Threw these together for my last project. A piece of scrap 6 x 12 beam and 2 x 4's. I made them this height so that I don't have to reach up too high to wrench on stuff while under my heap. I like the open space under them, good for snaking a cord or air hose under to keep my creeper runway clear.
    blocks.jpg Still haven't gotten around to making them prettier.

VANDENPLAS and vtx1800 like this.
  13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I have no pics right now, but I use short sections of railroad ties for extra stands. I call them my hillbilly jack stands! They can’t collapse or roll. Very safe

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

In case you haven't priced lumber lately, it's cheaper to use gold bars. :eek:

MMM1693, AHotRod and thintin like this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

17. Budget36

Budget36

No kidding, middle of last summer bought a sheet of 1-1/8th plywood. Right around 40 bucks. HW store, all good. Same store for 1/2in sheet two weeks ago came to 52 bucks!

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's a few ideas.

Attached Files:

19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Some good ideas here but I have to agree the cost of lumber is kind of crazy. Going to a lot of garage sales and swap meets most of the time I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a set of steel ones. I can usually find them for anywhere from 5 to 15 bucks a set. The last set I got someone had thrown them out by the road for the scrap guy. I checked them out, made sure they were good and safe, and gave them to the kid down the road who was working on an old Fury.

20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bones, please tell me that aint yours!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

We used wood blocks and cribbing all the time to support heavy equipment (bulldozers, graders, scrapers, loaders, etc), as well as steel supports at times. But even when using steel stands it was common to use some wood between the stand the machine to prevent slipping, steel on steel can be slippery. But, all wood we used was hard wood, not pine or fir. But those 2 x 4 & 4 x 4 blocks used in most of those pics look fine for that use, especially for lighter cars.

This one bothered me, the missing piece in the middle of the bottom and middle layers makes no sense. Also, if the car starts to move I don't think those little 2 x 2's are going to stop it. Not a fan of these.
    [​IMG]
    Also, some steel straps holding things together would make me feel more confident.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Thank you for posting this. There is some short scrap wood at work and I'm getting ideas.

24. Rooster72

Rooster72

Thanks also for posting this , lots of good ideas with both wood & steel

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sure it is... you want come over and change your oil?

Naw,... I never even saw this rig, I got the picture off the net! I have had a lot of fun with this picture! But......over the years I have seen a few things almost as bad around my area! Really!

I can thank my Dad for never building or using anything like that. He taught me to never put myself under anything heavy unless it was supported properly and then only if necessary. For years we used a set of ramps like the faded red ones, “ atch” posted. Later we moved them from next to shop to out front and added about two feet to the legs. Then we built up a dirt approach to the incline. They are still there on the ranch, but we don’t use them anymore. But back in the day a ton of work was done on them.
    I plan on living a long time and not going out that way..... I have a preferred way I want to check out! :rolleyes:

Bones

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  26. Come on Santa bring me a 4 post lift.....I've been good this year !