Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pix of '55-'57 Ford Gassers - the "other" Tri-Fives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Bar50

Bar50
    from Tulsa, OK

Hey guys, I have been a lurker for some time, my buddy (no computer savvy) is building a 55 two door post Ford with a 428, four gear and a Speedway front end.
    He has a street rod Vega box, an I get some pics of what you guys have set up or are using?

I will post up pics after Labor Day

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Me like!

Attached Files:

3. thunderplex

thunderplex

Bttt

Posted using the full custom, V8, 4-speed app, rolling down highway 41.

4. y'all have had me glued to this thread for days keep em coming

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a tri five Chevy guy (have a 57 Fuely) but have always loved 57 Ford 300's--one of the best looking cars for me-especially done as race/gasser style.

6. fun-ford

fun-ford

Nor a gasser,but my 57 Ranchwagon
    [​IMG]

57 300 likes this.
  7. I loved my 55 Sedan Delivery much more rare, but it was it or the 55 Vicky. Gasser or Street Freak is what brought me to this thread. I want to go Straight Axle, but dont want to radius my wheel wells. I stull want to drive mine on the street

8. Those fords look just PLAIN MEAN!! Like they could chew your leg off if you get to close!

9. Great thread keep them coming.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mmmmm.

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Attached Files:

12. Mmmmm is right!

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice! Looks like you're running some pretty hefty skins under the rear. What drivetrain are you running?

14. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

It does run on gas, and I did pick the front end up an inch.
    The pleasure of a soapy wash mitt running over the lines of these beauties can only be topped by a '39 coupe!
    T/F

Attached Files:

15. Very Nice!!

16. fun-ford

fun-ford

512CI big block ford,trick flow a460 heads,c6,4:11 9inch, 19.50x32 Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro
    ran 10:20@138 all motor at #3800

17. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool stuff! I guess your username says it all. :D Got any more pics?

18. fun-ford

fun-ford

19. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Someone took pictures of this Ranchero at the Detroit Autorama back in the early 70s and I'd like to get in touch if possible - I'm quite sure this guy is a Hamber. All has the car well on the way to complete restoration and should be as nice as his brother's '57 - if the photographer is on here (Stevens photography?) I'd appreciate a pm. Thanx

[​IMG]

20. blackout

blackout

Not mine

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  21. There, fixed it for ya...

22. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Now thats some serious eye candy there! Wow!

24. Lancer

Lancer

What type of wheels are these?

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think they're Keystone Classics.

26. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Years ago my "second father" (born one month after my real father) purchased a '55 Crown Vic, which I loved immediately. In time it came up for sale, and I became the new curator. Sadly, he passed away in the past 18 months, and this is my memory of him. While I love what it is, I'd like to make it "mine". In short, I've looked at this site all day generating ideas to make it a tribute gasser like all the models I made as a kid. Thanks to all who have contributed pics and technical expertise...it should assist in avoiding some mistakes. Now to collect the parts I need...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  27. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Looks pretty damn nice as is it sits! Not sure I could take a torch to it....but. It's your car.

28. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

I'm thinking I may not need to "torch" it really...hoping to retain all the original stuff in case it's to be reversed in the future. Minimal changes to the frame would be needed if I run a transverse spring, and inner sheetmetal can be put on the shelf. I took the advice of another HAMB member and got BBC fenderwell headers on order to adapt to the FE, so it's just a matter of time before I find the rest of the needed pieces.

Nice as the exterior is there's some questionable work that's always bothered me about the car, now 6 years later I tore into it to make changes. The more I disassembled the more I found, now it's pretty much a bare engine and fenders there anyway. Interior will be retained, rear fenders left uncut. Trying to decide which axle to use, it has to be a factory item drilled and chromed...no tube item from a kit. I'm no welder, but fortunately there's a guy local who has done a ton of cool gassers I can trust (he did a SBC into a '56 T-bird they found in a river.)

Any of you ran transverse springs...got opinions what to/not to do? I LOVE this setup from a '55 Chevy...

[​IMG]

29. loudbang

loudbang

Whew tears would run if you cut that up it's perfect as it sits.

30. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

It's nice as it sits, far from perfect. I likely need to replace the rear quarters, not that I will discover rust but the body guy had a love affair with bondo. Trunk fits terrible, paint's bubbling on the front fenders, etc. Those pics are 6 years old. The interior is still very nice and the underside quite clean, so I may as well raise it up so folks can appreciate what's under there. Bonus...I can nap in the shade beneath it on a rod run. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014