Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pitman arm woes.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Aug 19, 2008.

1. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

so now that the only things left on the 58' are a exaust system and a pitman arm.
    now #1 is ok, i'm going to run pipe to a set of handmade lake pipes.
    just for now.

but the pitman arm i'm screwed, now the one i have fits on both ends but with a over 4000 LBS car, im not really wanting to bend it.
    so does anyone know where i could get a 58' arm because i've looked all over, or even an arm that will fit from another car?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

thats a good help, they have a good ammount of parts.
    but i need the pitman arm, i have the idler arm on the car.
    it was converted to 605 power, and the guy kept the pitman arm attatched to the 605, i dont have the 58's original.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  4. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

or can someone with a 58 give me a picture of what the geometry and final set up looks like so i can get an idea of it.

5. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I say screw it.
    i have the manual box, i know it fits.
    it just needs a rebuild, cus it leaks.
    and im tired of running around like a chicken with my head cut off, the manual box is going on and im gonna muscle the car around until i find out exactly what needs to be done, then ill put the power on it.
    i mean, for only 3 bolts it shouldnt be such a big deal right?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those cars without power steering were driven by a bejillion little old ladies and young mothers and young girls and boys without too much muscle. My son thought the 57 Chevy would be a bear to steer to parallel park for his driver's test so he drove his Mom's Saturn with PS for the test. Sometime later he discovered that it wasn't as big a deal as he thought it might be. If you have very wide wheels and like tires up front you can have a muscleing problem but with 205/215/235 sizes you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

your definatly right.
    i mean yeah the guys in the club and i always go on long road trips, parking lot shows and highway runs, really long drives.
    i mean yeah, i'd "be nice and all", but is all the hassel really worth one finger steering?
    since apperently i have stumped even the guy that sell's 605 conversion kits to CARS INC., but me and him are making headway, its just a wonder if the price of rebuilding the original box will be the same price i might have to pay for the part to get the 605 to work.
    we will see.

8. Andy

Andy

There is a hidden problem with the 605 conversions. They mount the box flat to the frame rail but the rail angles out 5 degrees. The original box has an angled mount so it points straight ahead. The 605 will not be centered when you drive and will be loose because of the internal mesh of the gears. The tie rods can be adjusted off center but the linkage is still screwed up. I made an angled mount for mine. The 605 uses the standard no power pitman arm. I have a complete less pump P/S stock set up if interested.

9. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

well my box angels up twards the colom, so even with this angle its still off?
    heres the best picture detail i can get. however after a bit of working the shaft is even closer to fit without banging the frame.
    [​IMG]
    (and if things keep going like this, you know id be VERY interested in your set up.)

10. Andy

Andy

Here is a pic of my mount. It centers the travel and the gears.

Attached Files:

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

ohhhhh ok i see.
    yeah thats a big difference.
    and you know, that pitman arm looks a lot different then mine too.
    [​IMG]
    hopefully just because its different cars.
    guess im fabing up a mount, hopefully i can use the original bracket as a start.
    60' Biscane pitman arm right?

12. Dunno what a rebuild kit costs for a 605, but one for my 77 Ford F-250 didn't cost too much a few years back.
    It was mostly seals and plastic (Teflon?) rings.

You may find that quite a few pitman arms fit.

There was no reason for the factory to have a bunch of different size broaches to knock out the splines.
    I'd be surprised if GM had more than three different sizes.

One finger steering is easy with a manual.
    Just learn to keep the car barely moving and try not to input a lot of steering pressure when the car is just sitting.
    A small rule I follow even with my late models that have power steering.

Cranking the wheel when sitting still is hard on things.
    I know, sometimes there is no choice, but most times there are....

13. Andy

Andy

Yeah. '60 Bisc. I have a drawing I think. I don't remember how complete. I usually start with a drawing and then transfer stuff as required. I would be glad to mail what I have. There is no original bracket. The original box just bolts to frame. The arm shown is the original non power '60 arm. I am sure 58-64 is the same.

14. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

yeah, i know it probaly be cheap.
    but now with this information you've given me Andy, i think i can make it work.
    i have the bracket thats hooked to the 605, i think with a little grinding and spacing i can achive the same thing you have. i believe your pitman arm looks a bit shorter, maybe a possibility. but, i'm going to put my box like yours and see what i get.

and on the Non-PS car bit, oh trust me i got plenty of experience with my old F1, had a 40' deluxe wheel on it and parking lots were a bitch. haha.
    drove it over my 95' grand prix to school and such.