Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pitman Arm with reverse taper

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NB141FD, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Yup, even built the pitman arm for my old T this way. Machined down the splined end of the old GM arm and welded to some steel bar stock. You can really tell the quality of the metal when machining and welding it!

seb fontana likes this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

There are tapered reamers but you will find 7 degree end mills are cheaper. Instead of tapering it half way weld the hole shut drill a new hole and cut a new taper from the side you want

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. NB141FD

NB141FD

Thanks for all the advice. I've managed to locate an original 32 pitman arm which should solve my problems. I'll let you know how it turns out.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So did it cost… 60C9D913-7B13-40DA-9986-2A2E032D6C30.png

Bugguts likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So, if you paid big bucks for it, please don't divulge it here as it will be a target price from this point on, lots of "outsiders" lurking in the classifieds.
    But if you must........

Johnny Gee likes this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

bingo

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Welded up the hole and tapered it in from the other side. IMG_1082.JPG

Tman likes this.
  8. A Unibit will also allow you to sneak up on a good taper. Both myself and I believe @SamIyam have used this method in the past. A little clean up with a file and you can make a perfect taper. When I did my pitman I test fit the rod end in it and almost stuck like a press fit!

9. Budget36

Budget36

Are unibits a 7 degree taper? I’ve a few, but no idea of the taper they have.

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

That would depend on the specific bit , they aren't all the same !

Budget36 likes this.
  11. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

New jewels from HF
    66463_W3.jpg
    $7.99
    "Stepless Drills". Save the annoying filing. Mike

12. alchemy

alchemy

If there ever was a part I'd want to fit right, it would be a tie rod end. Step drilling and then filing the hole is not how I'd do it. Buy the proper 7 degree reamer and you will have it available for the rest of your life. Use it on your own cars! Help neighbors! Amaze friends!

13. I dug up an old post where I mentioned how to do this. The Unibit gets you SUPER close. I never actualy measured it but by eyeball it was damn near the same. I then used Dykem, a cone shaped burr on the die grinder to sneak up on a perfect fit. The rod end was used as a Go/Nogo guage as I worked my way close. It is not unlike how gunsmiths built Colonial era weapons and houshold items in many ways. You just don't have a store bought reamer! In my case I was doing the work late on a Saturday. Improvisation at its best.

2OLD2FAST, Atwater Mike and Budget36 like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my frame, the front is stock model A that I boxed and that's a modified f1 steering box.

Phil

alphabet soup likes this.
  16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay...so a SBC will fit in an A frame with a F1 box. Thank you for the update!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Why not just drill it straight through, and change the joint on the end of the drag link to a quality heim end? Seems like that would be the cheapest, easiest fix.

Jibs likes this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Trad police'll getcha if you use Heims.

Tman likes this.
  19. nobby

nobby

it helps is you search for a 1.5'' per foot taper reamer
    also if you ever get stuck and need a longer tie rod end
    the jeep cherokee tie rod ends are
    7.15 degree
    also they are 11/16 - 18 tpi - same as early ford - not the one at the pitman as they are m18
    but the are a tad longer
    but the pin is a bit long - you need a fat washer and the taper pokes through 1mm on the thin side
    of a stock steering arm

oh and available left and right
    [​IMG]

1biggun likes this.
  20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just my preference I don't like heims or polyurethane bushing in suspensions

Atwater Mike and alchemy like this.
  21. Ream it and you.re set.

22. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I’m sure you are right about that. But Heim Joints have been in use since before WWII and used extensively on aircraft ever since. Just saying that’s pretty traditional. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  23. Mart

Mart

I think it was Lars Brandow in Sweden that used a ball joint stud to "sort of" broach the hole. Get hole close, then heat red hot then hammer the ball stud in. I think it might be an idea to knock it back out quickly before it gets heat shrunk in there. It sounds feasible to me. It might have been a radius arm mount he was describing. I can't quite remember.

Tman and AccurateMike like this.
  24. No one is going to like this solution but it is a solution.
    When I was shop foreman for Linn Creek Welding in the '70s we had a dump truck with an altered steering box come in. The pitman arm for the oddball steering setup was backward to what it needed to be. We discussed cutting a taper on the opposite side, and even trying to source a different pitman arm. We ultimately cut the pitman arm turned it over and welded it back together. Now just for chits and giggles we stick welded it with E7018. Most of us are too high tech to weld that way any more, but you can buy wire and gas to achieve the same result.

It did not break. The truck hauled for at least another decade that I know of.

Budget36, 1971BB427 and Tman like this.
  25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Heims are traditional. Lots of cars had them well before the HAMB cutoff date.

26. anything from the war surplus store was fair game. ;)

1971BB427 and alphabet soup like this.
  27. banjorear

banjorear

I bought the correct 7 degree reamer from Speedway years ago. Nice bit and it was made in the USA.

31Apickup and alchemy like this.
  28. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

It seems to be worked out , in future situations I’ve used DJ 5 pitman arms . The dispatcher jeep left hand drive ( dont think it matters ) fit the f-1 box , is thick and about the same length . I purchased half dozen mail jeeps and its amazing how many parts are for hot rods .shifters , e brake assembly, steering column and wheel , 5x5.5 x15 wheels , solid frt end , dana 44 rear , fuel tank , etc . Sorry for the side track but if any one want to try one I’ll send you one to try , just pay shipping both ways .

caseywheels likes this.
  29. Visual proof that the builder of @NB141FD car wasn't the only one that took the dumb approach to deal with wishbone clearance. This was changed out years back; but I just ran across it under a bench Friday.

2023-02-10 22.42.06 (Medium).jpg

alchemy likes this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

That takes some balls! And a competent weldor!
    Did you bevel the pieces and start filling it in?