Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pitman Arm, request for Old Ford Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattStrube, Nov 16, 2007.

1. MattStrube

MattStrube

We've seen posts on axles, wishbones, etc. One we haven't seen is a comprehensive discussion on Pitman arms for both early fords and F-1/100 pickups. I have a pitman arm that is 5.5" with a ball on the end and it came on the F-1 box that I adapted for my AV8. I could use one with a tapered hole in it similar to the atachment on my steering arm (posted in earlier post) So does anyone have a comprehensive list with pictures of pitman arm options, what they were found on. I could use a 4.5 or 5" pitman arm with a hole in both ends. Thanks Matt

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, what little I know: '32-48 Ford, '48-52 F1 are same spline. I believe many years of Ford passenger '49 up are the same, but I'm not sure.
    Detroit and some larger European cars use only a few splines, so MANY random junkyard finds may have useable splines. Carry an arm that fits and a puller to the junkyard, shop by shape and end configuration, then see if spline matches regardless of whether it's Ford, Mopar, or Volvo.
    F-100 I believe is unique and doesn't even interchange with the similar Econoline arm.
    Circle track catalogs may still have the old multi-hole adjustable arms--does anyone know? I thought I found one last year, but it turned out to be a torsion bar arm or something.

3. I think he is looking for one with a tapered hole in it... not the ball.

Can you just cut the ball off and drill the hole? I have a tapered ream...

Sam.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

For that, any Ford '35-48 will do...that includes several lengths

5. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

cut the ball off and have a tie rod bung welded onto it (recommend having it done by a welder) speedway sells them for cheap.

6. MattStrube

MattStrube

What lengths did they have from 32-48? Anyone have a library list of the various lengths throughout the years.

7. With your little thalidomide arms... you want it as long as possible.

8. MattStrube

MattStrube

How about this one?

Attached Files:

9. Tin Can

Tin Can

what is that arm off of urkillinme? I am looking for the same thing for my f100 box

10. alchemy

alchemy

The pic looks like the one I got from a '59 or so F-100. The popular '53-'56's had a ball, but I think they had a hole from then on up.

As for the F-1, any old Ford passenger arm will fit, like Bruce said. And if the taper is from the wrong side just taper halfway from the other, no welding, no problem. Sorry I don't have any measurement lists.

11. Instead of cutting off the ball end of the pitman arm and welding a new end on, why not cut the ball proper off, drill or bore the pitman end and have a taper end from another pitman with the correct taper etc.

Trim the OD to match the drilled/bored ID hole in the pitman and weld those together.

Much less chance of a failure imo and if the weld did fail, the tie rod end would still be captured.

A bit of fail-safe....

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I can probably come up with a bunch of '32-48 measurements.

13. 1932tub

1932tub

What you want is a pitman arm from a 57 F100, it has the tapered hole in it. I have been chasing one myself, someone told me that a 57 arm is a " one year only part " in that the sector shaft hole changes to a larger dia in 58. My 56 box gas a sector shaft hole which measures 1 1/4". The f100 pitman arn holds onto the sector shaft by a large pinch bolt. Spline is only part of hole. Early v8 does not fit.
    Anyone know more about the change of sector shaft dia?

14. MattStrube

MattStrube

KustKult51-It reads 48-51 F-1, but who knows if that's true?

C9-That's what Sam's talking about doing, but I think I can find a pitman arm that will work without that risk.

BruceL-That would be great; then I can know what to hunt down based on the lengths I need. I would like to have a 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6" version, but would start with a 5" and work my way up.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...but now I'm not sure where that split arm fits: If you have one like that, it is F100 and has no interchange with early Ford...F1, 1948-52, has round hole with no split and full splines.

16. MattStrube

MattStrube

No no no, that's not mine. I saw it on Ebay. Mine has a round hole, 4 big splines, and a ball on the other end.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK, I'll go digging for Ford arms...

18. Andy

Andy

He is looking for an arm for an F-1. The F-100 pictured is a split thing with the pinch bolt. They are straight splined and bigger OD. They won't fit an F-1. The F-1 arms are all with the balls as far as I know. The F-1 output shafts are all the same as passenger car. The passanger car arms won't work even though they will fit. The splines have solid parts so they will only go on in 90 degree steps. The F-1 needs the arm splines 45degrees from the pass car. Best bet is to drill and retaper or weld on a bung.

19. There's an F-100 pickup salvage yard over the hill from me.

I'm fairly sure it's called "Golden Valley Pickups."

I did some digging, but couldn't find the phone number . . . including in a couple of phone books.

They buy F-100's and break em down for parts.
    Although now and then they sell a fairly complete one.

They're on Hwy 68 and if you can find their phone number they may have the part you need.

I'd run over the hill to Golden Valley to check, but can't do it for about a week....

20. I looked at the pitman arms that I have for 53-56 F100 steering boxes. All the original F100 arms have the ball. The part number on them is TAAA-3590A. Center to center measurement is 6.5 inches. I also have a pitman arm that fits the F100 box that has the tapered hole for a normal tie rod end. It is also 6.5 inch center to center. It has the part number TAAK-3590B. I have no idea what it came from.
    The 3590 designation is for pitman arms. The prefix should identify the model. Perhaps someone can decipher what the TAAK stands for.
    Also, regarding the larger shaft sizes, I thought they only came on the big trucks. All the early F100 s had the 1.25 diameter shaft.

21. alchemy

alchemy

Sure they'll work Andy. Just take a triangle file to the arm and file another small spline where those fat ones are. Then you'll have unlimited adjustment.

22. MattStrube

MattStrube

Bruce, any luck on the measurements?

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Haven't had a chance, and it looks like no chance til after Thanksgiving.
    I think I can come up with most passenger arms '32-48...and F1.

24. MattStrube

MattStrube

Great, i can wait.

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just got back from Thanksgiving, will load the .45 for protection from giant garage spiders and hunt for arms soon...have found some later info: Ford stuff at least into 1960's has same spline. Doubtless some others, too--some are common because of source, like Gemmer, but also I thing there are few broaches out there--many companies using same basic spline for a size range because of available tooling.

26. MattStrube

MattStrube

Been watching on ebay and found a few, no lengths though
    Year PN Length
    35-36 48-3590 5.5"
    42,46, 21A-3590-B 6"
    ? 11A-3590 6"

So far that's what I have

27. the shadow

the shadow

I have a 35-36 ford steering box and pitman arm that I am not useing (up for sale $25.00) it has a straight pitman arm with a tapered end on the small end for a tie rod end. I decided to use a mopar box for my project. can post pics tomorow if needed?

28. MattStrube

MattStrube

Sent you a pm Mr. Shadow

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Here's the start of a chart...need more application info and lengths, will continue the research.

Pitman Arms First use, replacement uses
    B-3590 1932…has hole for ball stud 5 ½”
    40-3590 1933-4 passenger, ball forged on have 5 5/8, 5 ½---dunno which is which 46-3590 1933-4 pickup, ball forged on
    48-3590 1935-6
    78-3590 1937-40, 1941 pickup
    11A-3590 1941, replaces…some earlier…6”
    21A-3590 1942-48

All measurements are center to center of holes/balls, all measurements made in bad light by old blind guy with yardstick. More to follow.

Known/suspected same spline: ’49—at least 1960’s Ford, 1948-52 Ford pickup, some 1930’s GM

30. i got that one pictured on an earlier post off e bay. its a TAAK 3590 A. 6 1/2" centers, tapered bottom hole, pinch bolt top, 1 1/4" diameter top hole. bottom will offset 1/2" closer to frame or away from depending on mounting.