Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pitman arm question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Dec 27, 2012.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

This is my first true build, I have been working on it forever because of life and I have to research every step. Any way, I'm just trying to figure out how to get this pitman arm on my vega box. I have the plain P&Js model that doesn't appear to be tapered and the instructions just say to install it. There is no keyway so I assume you just mount it on the box so that it's 90º out from the frame rail but is this thing supposed to be press fit and how far is it supposed to go on because some of the pictures I've seen show a lot of spline still between the box and the pitman arm. Thanks for any help.

2. there is a taper on the splines

stock Vega pitman arms are keyed , not sure about the Pete & Jake's

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so what kind of ride and suspension are you working on? as stated, make sure that everything is lined up before tightening down. sometimes need to use one with a bend in it to line things up.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

The suspension is a dropped I beam axle P&Js setup. I was told that I should just put the pitman arm on the box and use the nut with an air wrench to drive the pitman arm onto the splines but as you can see that gulled a couple of threads and ruined the nut. Should I just press the pitman arm on with a hydraulic press. I dont even have the vega box mounted to the frame rails yet and I have no steering column or steering wheel yet so I cant do anything with that. I didnt think that the vega box had locks anyway isnt that what the spindle stops are for.

Attached Files:

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

First dont take any more advise from the person that told you to run the nut up with an air wrench and even less from the person that told you to use a press. Luckily you only ruined the nut. I'd be more concerned as to the source of the pitman arm. Vega pitman arms have a slight taper that is obvious so that is the area that I would be addressing. Where did that one come from?

6. alchemy

alchemy

As for the "stops", just run the box all the way back and forth and then find the middle point. Since your frame rails are tapered and your mount may also be welded in tapered, you may need to adjust your arm over one spline when finished to find the true center.

Like Dick said, don't tighten the nut with air, just by hand. Then check it again after driving around the block. Then again in a couple weeks of more driving.