Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pitman arm cowl steering, need help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 64ONEOFF, Dec 1, 2013.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

:( I have a 31 model A, I want to put in a F-1, or Volvo steering box out of the side of cowl. I love the look. I have the stock 31 front end and a complete 40 front end. I prefer using the 40 because it is already complete with juice brakes. I believe the 40 is a cross steer step up. Not sure of the correct lingo. I was wondering how I convert the front end to steer from the drivers side. I am fairly new to the I beam front ends. I was curious if anyone had some wisdom on this topic. I really apprieciate any help. Thanks Fellas...

Jeff

2. adam401

adam401

See the arm on the top of your drivers side spindle on the 31 front end? You can fabricate or buy a loop that is fastened at the top 2 spindle/ backing plate bolts that serves the same purpose or you can use the model a front end and adapt the brakes to them

3. alchemy

alchemy

Speedway Motors sells such an arm that looks the exact same as they did back in the 50's, and it's only about $20.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You do realize that the 40 spindles will directly swap to the model A axle...right?
    The complete 40 setup is spring ahead and will shorten your wheelbase and look goofy unless you make changes to the chassis or spring perch layout.

5. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I didn't know the 40 spindles would bolt right on Thanks, Do they make a bracket as well to move the spring Behind the I beam? I love seeing the I beam out front all alone...=] Thanks guys

6. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

7. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thanks, how do you move the spring? Is there a special bracket.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You could do it the Grabowski way by chopping off the wishbone ends, swapping them R to L and L to R facing backwards, then making up a radius rod bracket to weld/bolt to the axle. See Grabowski's famous 50s roadster, pics every where.

9. It is not an I-beam. Just an axle. I beam is later pickup stuff or an arcitechural term.

10. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thanks fellas

11. Koz

Koz

There are a bunch of threads on here detailing how the Rolling Bones shop does it. They essentially follow the path of Doane Spencer from the late '40's. Super nice way to do it.

Also search 3wLarrys build on here and Brian Bass's stuff. I did a bunch of threads on this setup on here but unfortunately, I believe the pics are gone in a computer crash.

I will add, if set up right this is one of the best driving and handling suspensions you can tuck under an early rod. Geometry is everything!!!!!!

12. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

thanks for the info....Taker easy