Register now to get rid of these ads!

Piston ring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fraz, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Going to rebuild my '60 401 nailhead right, that means an overbore and new internals, among other things. The whole balanced rotating assembly and whatnot. My questions pertain to piston rings.

1st ring question. What sort of rings do I want? Steel? Moly? Chrome? Gapless? I will be driving it daily, with occasional hard romps down the freeway, HAMB drags, and whatnot. Both extended highway driving and stop and go city driving will be commonplace. Motor will be stock as possible. Stock cam, very mildly worked heads (some casting flash cleaned off), stock 4bbl, etc. Don't have cubic assloads of cash to toss at this motor, but want it reliable as possible. I know, can't have one without the other....

2nd, the local parts stores, including Napa, have part numbers but can't get the rings...???? Whatever that means. Apparently I can't get em local, in short. The local "good guy" engine rebuilder laughed at me, actually laughed and hung up still laughing when I called. :( Dickhead. So, does anyone have any sources for a nice set of rings that aren't going to cost a small fortune, if such a deal exists anymore? 4.2175 bore diameter.

Racefab? Nailhead freaks aka zman and the like?

Glad to supply more info If I need.

2. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

IMHO the only thing to use is Moly. Very forgiving ,last forever,virtually no breakin.
    Now as far as application goes ,talk to you local Good Guy Machinist and ask to look at his catalogs. Most have a search by size. Start there and then go to width ,ect. You may find a application that is popular that would fit. If not check for slightly wider and have the piston ring lands cut.
    Last resort would be narrower and a thin spacer ring.
    You might be surprised what you can come up with.

best of luck

3. moly would be my first pick too , but your choice may come down to what is available...try PAW 1-818-678-3100

or egge ...they do list them on their website in standard , .020 , .030 .040 oversize: http://www.egge.com/

rings are available somewhere , if your machinist says they are not , they have not looked hard enuff

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Local machinist is a joke. I only call him on desperate occasions.

Further talks with Napa state that they will get me the plain steel rings in about 2 weeks if I want them. Can't get moly or chrome. AutoZone tried but can't get any, and the local O'Reilley's doesn't bother, they know me, immediately tell me, "can't get it." Egge's are steel and more expensive than Napa.

I'd prefer to snag a set from a HAMBer if possible, maybe fellow nailheader and part maker suedsled, or Racefab cuz he's an engine god, or some other engine builder on here.

5. what about PAW?

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Another vote for moly, the only way to go. As stated, easy break in, last forever.

Frank

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Getting bounced around at PAW right now.

Got 4 cool engines and got them cheap. My 364 and 401 nailheads, a 52 poncho straight 8, and a 48 Frazer straight 6. My 364 came with my car wrapped around it.

Its the rebuild is gonna cost me. I know that, I said so, but I'm tryin to save a lil cash, I'm a typical car guy.

You got anything else to add Captain Obvious? Pushin the WRONG buttons man.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here ya go, Sealed Power ring set number E287X available in Standard, +.30 and +.40 sizes. The Sealed Power pistons are part number 69P available in +.30 , +.40 and +.60 over sizes.

Timing chaain and gears, cam and lifters, pushrods, valves, valve guides, valve springs, valve seals, oil pump, and engine bearings are all available from SEALED POWER.
    FelPro still offers the gasket set's also.

If ya need part numbers, let me know.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Call Steve Cook @ Northern .... 800-831-0884 Tell him Glenn Hayes from Federal Mogul sent ya.

Here's there website, all of us old HAMB'rs have been going here for years.

http://www.naparts.com/

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

You lucked out, man. Glenn knows his shit. More good Carma to you, Glenn.....

11. Moly, ensure your machine shop knows what ring your using there are differnt flavors of stone for the hone. use .003-.004 per inch of bore for end gap if you can't find a spec.
    tim

12. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Thanks for the leads guys! I appreciate them very much. Very useful info.

13. Gapless rings are race shit. On a street motors I normaly run cast rings, they're good for a hundred K +.

I run federal Mogul parts 'n' pieces in all my mills and have for years, race or not. Durable and fit well.

14. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

Im glad that question was asked. I can benefit from the information you guys gave also. Thanks