Register now to get rid of these ads!

pinto flex shaft problems?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-71, Nov 1, 2005.

1. 6-71

6-71

I have been using a pinto flex shaft in my 39 chev for many years,and have never heard of any problems. I also installed one in a 48 ford coupe about 10 years ago ,its still in one piece.Is this just another"urban Legend" or is there a problem.I assumed Ford dropped them because it was far cheaper to use a solid shaft with a joint.

2. I had one fray and fail about 25 years ago. The problem wasn't visible because of the rubber boot on the flex shaft. I used one again but removed to boot and put some light oil on the shaft. I sold the car a couple years later and it was still okay.

I wouldn't use one today since good u-joints are readily available.

Charlie

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I saw a roadster several years ago with a similar shaft but much heavier duty than a pinto (about 2.5 x's the diameter) and thought it was pretty cool.The guy said it was a modified helicopter part of some kind.Looked tuff enuff to roll over a house.
    I've been wanting to attach a rack and pinion set up directly to a sraight axle and was thinkin' that type of setup might work well for that.
    T.OUT

4. tomslik

tomslik

they rust from the inside out....

if i found a NEW one, i'd use it but i'd be afraid of a used one if it's from the salt belt or along the coast's...

5. Replace it----the VW- sand buggy places have the same quality steering U-joints as street rod suppliers ,only instead of costing 69 dollars they charge 27 dollars....look on eBay they sell em there.....

6. 6-71

6-71

Thanks for the info. Its about time for the snow to fly around here,so I'll put replacing that shaft on my winter project list.