Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinting over chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bellyjello, Oct 28, 2005.

1. bellyjello

bellyjello

OK I don't have the cash to get my bumpers rechrommed on my 55 pontiac. Whats the best way to paint over Chrome? Sand blast it of?

2. Grind or sand blast.

3. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

Not sure what kind of paint your talking about but if you grind or sand blast your bumpers that's just more polishing when you can plate them.

HOK adhesion promoter works excellent for that kind of stuff no sanding required.

4. Painted bumbers look like.......well, they look like painted bumpers. Figure out a way to chrome them.

5. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

If you don't want the paint to chip off you'll have to grind off ALL the chrome. As someone else said, it's a LOT of work (& expense) if you ever decide to re-chrome them again.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IF THE CHROME IS RUSTING OFF OR REAL FLAKY, THEN A HEAVY SANDBLASTING, OR TAKE 'EM TO A CHROME SHOP AND HAVE 'EM DIPPED TO REMOVE THE FLAKY SHIT.

BUT, IF THE CHROME IS JUST DULL AND A LITTLE BEAT-UP LOOKING, THEN A 'LITE' SANDBLASTING, ETCH PRIMER, BUILD PRIMER, SAND AND PAINT.

YOU CAN LITELY SANDBLAST CHROME, AND USE CHEAP-ASS SPRAY BOMB PAINT, AND IT WILL STICK AS GOOD AS SPRAYING ANY KIND OF METAL, YOU ONLY NEED TO STRIP IT, IF THE CHROME IS FLAKING OFF ALL OVER THE PLACE.......

7. painting chrome reminds me of the 80's. i'd rather have crappy chrome than painted chrome. it looks better.

8. do it like the pros do it , Its gonna be heavy to complain in my poor english but i will try . take a pot thats big enough to put you bumper in it ,fill the whole pot with water ,the bumper have to be covvered in water 100% the take a batterycharger ,put the + to a piece of metal and put the piece of metal into the bowl , the - gooes to the bumper . Now ad some salt into the water . The chrome will move from your bumper to the piece of metal , it calles electrolytic .
    now you have bare metal if you ever wanna rechrome it you just have to strip the color with some chemics and if you wanna stay with painted bumpers the color will last

9. If your gonna paint your bumpers,,,,go to a paint/hardware store and get a quart of XIM bonding primer,,,,,lightly scuff your bumpers and apply as recommended on the label,,,,,

XIM will bond to ferrous and non-ferrous materials and is available in white and clear. HRP

10. Winfab

Winfab

I have an old chromed tube axle and would like to de-chrome it. What amperage will I need to use and what length of time should I expect it to take? How much salt....ie. salt/gal. of water?

Thanks

11. FEDER

FEDER

After smoothing My bumper and welding the bolts on the back side, I used My da sander with 60 grit. Bondo then condar primer then duplicolor soft silver out of the can from shucks then urethane clear. Did this on My racecar and they look real good. FEDER

Attached Files:

12. bellyjello

bellyjello

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to work on my spelling or typing

13. Squablow

Squablow

I agree. Clean up what you got as best you can, and keep an eye on eBay auctions for nice used stuff. You can upgrade pieces one by one when nice used stuff comes availible. That's what I'm doing on my '46 Chevy now, to avoid the 15K worth of plating and polishing it would take to re-do all the brightwork on it.

14. sentinelT

sentinelT

Save some money, deal with it looky ratty for a while, and chrome it when you can...