Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstriping pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillybassman, Mar 22, 2012.

1. I'm trying to find pics of pinstriping that will suit a 50s style hotrod, namely this one. A friend is going to stripe it in a weeks time and wants me to provide him with some ideas of the sort of thing I want done. I've used the search function, but the majority of stuff I find is overblown tikis and complicated stuff. I'm looking for simple, understated patterns that enhance, rather than dominate. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. striper

striper

For simple, elegant, understated perfect pinstriping that enhances body lines have a look at Tommy the Greek.

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Wow great canvas x2 on accenting the body lines. Do you have any colors in mind ?

4. tpw35

tpw35

Hot Rod Walt did these on my 65 Falcon.

Attached Files:

5. BigEd

BigEd

Have you looked through the Friday Art Show archives?
    There are so many different styles of striping there that you should
    be able to find a few that you like.

6. Surf on over to pinheadlounge.com and take a look at the artist's work posted there. You don't have to join to look, and the best of the best (and the rest of us) post there. If it's pinstriping, you'll find it there.

Once there, some of my favorites are Alan Johnson, Al Batista, Igor, and Charlie Decker. There are so many great ones on that site, I don't have room to name them all.

7. I am a beginning pinstriper but these are the simple lines I came up with for a T roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a couple misc pieces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Abomb

Abomb

9. cederholm

cederholm

[​IMG]

Love your car!

10. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Heres some I did on a '32, spun silver leaf celtic cross. Color choice will have a lot to do with how much it stands out. On a white car like yours you can do some in depth designs, but if you kept in in say a couple shades of light or dove gray it wouldnt jump out and knee you in the balls!!!:eek:

[​IMG]

11. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

This design on this orange bike with gold leaf is small, compact and understated.

[​IMG]

This stuff on the 32's firewall is pretty calm color wise although there is a lot on there. color used was Imitation Gold and Emerald Green.

[​IMG]

12. Thanks, it was a fun build - my first hotrod.

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I have two photo folders that might be of help.

Click here. http://public.fotki.com/redlinetoys/

Then scroll down to the bottom. There is a folder with nothing but STRIPING and another folder that I use for general MODEL A IDEAS, titled as such. There are several thousand photos here to get you going.

14. My car, less is more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. dcwest32

dcwest32

16. killer-D

killer-D

Here are a few

Attached Files:

17. Gator

Gator

That says it all - even more so for a true fifties style look. Check out the 'little pages' or hot rod magazines of the era, striping was much more restrained than a lot of what you see now - ESPECIALLY on hot rods.

Striping should compliment the car, not be the main focal point. Some stripers I know use the same lines whether they're striping a T-bucket or a Peterbilt. :rolleyes:

18. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Pinstriping is a very subjective art form........I can look at some and love it and you might hate it. You also have to trust the skill and taste level of the striper to a certain degree. You might be paying for it and may show him or her kinda what you have in mind, but ultimately they are the ones with the brush in their hand.

Skratch did my 23 and my Sons 23 and we pretty much just told him a few things we liked and he took it from there. With someone of his skill level you generally will be happy with the end result. When I sold my 23 the one thing I hated to lose was the artwork Skratch did on it.

You also have to get a striper who knows old school. If you get someone who doesn't it is like taking your car to an upholsterer for tuck and roll and the guy has only done velvet interiors up to that point.

Don

20. fleetside66

fleetside66

21. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

A roadster that I striped in that style.

Attached Files:

22. 53Hattie

53Hattie

You're gettin' some good examples here, but as a couple have mentioned already, do give Pinhead Lounge a look, ...another couple guys you might want to checkout there are Kurt Silva & Willis Dormer. Good luck with your build!

23. The_Monster

The_Monster

I just put this on my '53!

[​IMG]

24. Thanks for all the suggestions, all taken into the thought processes... :D

25. some names to research...
    we already got philly the greek (xcellent)...

Tom Kelly (in my opinion the greatest living pinstriper on the planet)
    Herb Martinez (dead nuts the most traditional striper i know)
    Anthony White (00mack here on the HAMB)
    Lil' Louie
    Bob Spina
    Mitch Kim
    Rocky Burris
    Ryzart
    East Coast Atrtie
    Jimmy C
    Peter Pan of Chicago

there are a hundred more that get me going, but these guys are the ones on the tip of my tongue.

more to follow.

26. flattrap

flattrap

My wifes A

Attached Files:

27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I borrowed some ideas from Norm & Tommy:

Attached Files:

28. Dunkmack9

Dunkmack9

Some Tommy the Greek striping with his arrow at ends, etc. The green color matches the car's interior color. 1952- TC9866_143483094191280b40ecf6939eb857f7d4259c871e.jpg TC9866_14348310993840ae83bcbcac43df110b78cf06db4b.jpg TC9866_1434830595099f5352d7104b4cb968d04790821bda.jpg

Attached Files:

29. Hey Marty, did u ever get the stripping done?
    Don't recall seeing any in your About Done thread.