Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pinstriping forum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol skool spirit, Jan 2, 2018.

1. ol skool spirit

ol skool spirit

My son is trying to learn to pinstripe. We have found several videos on Youtube. I am sure a pinstriping forum board exists, but haven't found it yet. Anyone know one they recommend?

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I have been striping for about 30 years. When I was young and just starting, a old striper told me to buy a striping brush and a gallon of paint. When the brush had no more hair and the paint can was empty tha n I could call myself a striper. Another words it takes alot of practice and dedication.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

It looks about as easy as it is difficult. I tried and gave up after about 50 hours and about $200.00
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

You know the old saying "If it was easy, everyone would do it!" Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Pretty tough skill to learn. I consider myself pretty artsy-fartsy but I never could drag a good line. So thankful for 3M striping tape!!

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Striping tape? That's blasphemy. I can say that as I have a world class striper about 7 or 8 miles from me.

9. Although there are several forums on FaceBook dedicated to pinstriping they aren't really instructional forums per se unless you count ideas for making a job easier.
    There are many books and videos available by various artists around the country. Alan Johnson in New Jersey and John Hannukaine in Washington state both have excellent instructional books. Hannukanine's is exceptionally good if you are left handed.
    Don't know what part of the country you are in but several areas have workshops devoted to learning the craft. You might want to check out Auto Art magazine on the net and in published form. You also might want to check in your area and see if there are any pinstripers who are willing to give instructions. There used to be a registry of pinstripers around the country but that hasn't been updated since about 1995.
    If you like send me a PM and I'll see if I can locate someone near you.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I watched Dean Jeffries at the San Jose Autorama...he was striping the original 'Black Widow', a '24 T track roadster, 'nose job'. Dean answered questions, I bought 2 wooden handled 'Sword Brushes' at Red Barn. Practiced for 2 or 3 years, met Tommy the Greek, took my Mom's Cad up to visit. The Greek teardropped the car very 'subtly', Mom loved it.
    Tommy's shop was 36 miles from my house...easier drive than 20 more years practicing striping!
    Years later, Tommy striped a P51 Mustang Control Line model airplane for me...38" wingspan, Porsche silver paint, rubbed out shiny. Black beltline outlined with white stripes, also black teardrops outlined in white. The model plane guys didn't know who the Greek was, but they dug the 'fineline'...Terminal crash the second season, darn it!

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  11. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

Classic. I had one guy that was fairly close by offer to show me but I never took him up on it. That would have to be the best way to learn. One hour with a pro would probably translate into literally months of practice using trial and error AND a lot of bad language.

12. There are how to posts in the forum here.
    Just have to search.

13. Do a search 2X, I have left some tid-bits. Cut brushes, vasoline, cloth bandaids....three beers
    practice, practice, practice, use a mirror or a piece of glass, use your imagination as most do the same
    design () to start........

14. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

They have formal workshops and hands-on training sessions all over the country.

Screenshot_2018-10-22-21-47-55-1.png

15. ppsi1216

ppsi1216

Here is a random question :
    Do pinstriped usually have a talent for scroll work and vise versa? Is one more difficult to learn and/or do?
    I'm hoping to start a war obviously

Doctorterry likes this.
  16. Scroll is DEFINITELY more difficult!

ppsi1216 and Doctorterry like this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Depends what you start out doing. I don't like scrolling because its just not my bag, and harder to have a good visual weight to it. Traditional style is my flavor.
    You want difficult, coach lines (AKA long lines down the side of a car) pull 2 nice straight 1/8 inch thick lines down the side of a 20 foot car and see how you did. THAT is skill! (and no, I haven't come close to mastering it yet)

18. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'm not a pinstriper, I'm a guy who tries to pinstripe (big difference), but my tip would be to go buy the cheapest 'one shot' color, and a striping brush and go get an old window at a flea market for 5 dollars, and buy a razor blade scraper. Practice, take a picture of it, scrape it off, and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  19. ^^^ Toughest by far!!!

20. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Before you know it, everything you own will be pinstriped, like my cooler, and my coffee cup

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice dog.

22. PistolPete5150

PistolPete5150

The best thing I have ever heard about pinstriping, is that it takes a minute to learn, but a lifetime to master! Like most things, it takes time. And the more you do the more you will improve. There's a technique called the 1000 line technique. Just like with using a lettering brush. You do a 1000 vertical strokes, a 1000 horizontal, a 1000 curved. After that, you'll have developed the brush control you need to know first, before doing any design. BUT! we all just want to do cool designs, so basically the lesson is...use your brush, a lot! Understand what you need to do with it. When you're starting out. Keep it simple! Less is more! Be neat and be symmetric!