Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstripe question/painters.....????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffrob, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jeffrob

jeffrob

Getting ready to paint, should I put the 1 shot paint stripes on before I clear coat or after clear coat?

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Depends on what you're doing....If outlining flames, i would put them on first....If just doing designs, i personally would put it on after for two reasons.....One, if you sell it down the road, your taste might not be the same as the new owner.....It could make or break a sale.....Two, i'm my own worse critic.....I might be satisfied with a design now, but maybe 6 months down the road i'll say to myself,"i wish i had used a different color" or "i know i could've done better"......At least without the clear there are options

3. brandon

brandon

4. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

5. MetalFlaked60

MetalFlaked60

I think you add a little bit of hardener to the one shot...so it wont crinkle...dont hold me to it tho..

6. You didn't say what you were planning on striping so I'm assuming you're doing a car.I don't know of any reason to clearcoat striping unless you want a dead smooth surface or you use a high pressure washer to clean your car.
    I would recommend it if you were doing a motorcycle gas and/or oil tank;the former to protect against gas spillage and the latter due to drastic temperature fluctuations.
    1-Shot has the peculiar property of eating into the surface it is applied to(paint as well as bare metal)and as long as the surface is properly cleaned prior to application,should present no problems.I know first-hand it will permanently etch stainless steel as attested to by the fender skirts on my 55 Safari.It will also do the same to glass.
    Depending on what type of paint you're using,I would wait about a week after it is sprayed before striping.

7. skratch

skratch

8. rollie

rollie

6 of one ......half a dozen of the other ! I myself would never bother putting it under the clear, but some of my customer's want that so I just add a little of thier hardener to the 1-shot as I palette it .

9. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I do some work for a motorcycle shop and everything is under the clear. Designs or flame and scallop outlines he clears over all of it.
    I add the same catalyst HOK that goes in the clear about four drops of catalyst to 1/2 oz. of one shot.
    I usually stripe stuff the day after he clears it then I let it dry for at least a day before giving it back to be cleared again.

10. jeffrob

jeffrob

Thanks to all for the good info, i will be practicing on my motorcycle first, then the car. Under the clear it goes.