Register now to get rid of these ads!

pinion seal change out?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Apr 30, 2008.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

ok, so I was under my falcon yesterday measuring some suspension and noticed that my pinion seal has a considerable drip. Glad I noticed it now, not once it was dry and whining.

The extent of my rear end experience is that I changed a set of spider gears once.

I know that I have to pull the pinion yoke, and replace the crush sleeve. But won't I have to put a certain amount of pre-load back onto the pinion? Can I do this in the car without pulling the carier? or will the rear-end need to be pulled completely apart to re-set the back lash and load?

Lets keep in mind that this car is a stock '62 falcon. Its not got 600hp running through it. However I do want to do it right, and only do it once. Can I just pull the yoke and torque it back down to a pre-determined number?

I had one guy tell me he always just impacts the nut off, replaces the seal and sleeve, and impacts it back on. "NO PROBLEMS" he says. I'm a bit leary of taking his advice on this one.

Thanks in advance,

Bentley

2. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

You Should NOT have to change the crush sleeve if you mark the nut and the pinion end, and count your turns to take it off. Thats what the pontiac service manual said when I changed the seal on my 71 lemans wagon. The manual said to once that the nut was back in the original position, to take it 1/4 turn more. There should not be a problem with doing it in the car either.

Also....I dont know if you can get a seal, but I just went through my 56 Pontiac rear, No seal is available, so we had to very carefully remove the coil spring from the back of the seal. find the connector, un screw it and then take a few coils off to make it tighter. Be sure to cut it off the open side and not the cone side or it wont go back together......Seals like new again.

Good Luck!

Ed

3. I did the one on my nine inch last year and counted the turns to get it off. I put the nut back on the same amount, the nut was loose and if you rocked the tires a little bit you could see the pinion move up and down inside the hole. I tightened it up with 1/4 turn increments until the slop was out, which was 1 1/2 more turns than what it took to take it off. It has been fine so far, no noise down the thruway or in town.

4. i've changed the pinion seals in many 8 and 9 inch fords as already described with no problems. do you know if it's an 8"? i think they also had some crappy little rear in some of them...make sure you can get the correct parts before you tear into it

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

A '62 falcon should have a little 6 pooper, 4-lug rear in it. I know you can get some parts because when I ordered the gasket for the pumpkin in my 8" they gave me one for the little 4-lug rear. Don't know about the pinion seal though.

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

Personally, I don't think your buddy is too far off. Most any shop
    that you would take it to is going to do just that. I just did this last
    year on my 49 Hudson that still had a leather seal.Found a modern
    seal,thanks to some Hudnuts on another forum. Impacted it off,
    dressed the sealing surface on the yoke up some, put a little
    permatex#2 on the splines before I slid it back on,a little more
    permatex#2 on the side of the washer facing the yoke,and some
    red loctite on the pinion threads. Carefully impacted the nut back
    on till it felt good*(your mileage may vary) and 5K miles later,its
    still dry as a bone.