Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinion angle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steamer, Jun 12, 2012.

1. steamer

steamer

I hope I spelled it right? I need to know before we weld on the Ladder Bars to the rear, how to set the angle right.

2. pitman

pitman

3 degrees lower than the drive shaft angle. The trans output shaft should be parallel to the pinion, and 3 degrees (of height) "above" the pinion. If you were to lower the entire trans shaft, after some lowering it would be exactly inline w/the pinion. If the pinion shaft is offset to the right side, then the 3 degree lube angle may be taken care of by this "misalignment".

3. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

set the axle at ride height. put an angle finder on the front yoke if its 3* set the rear at 3* if its 4* set the rear at 4*.. if the trans is not in the car. set the rear at 3* up the when you get the trans in set it at 3* down. they dont have to be paralle but have to be on the same plane...

4. 47,000 times it been covered

Prerequisites

1, car on tires you will run.
    2, at ride height
    3 on level surface
    4 carb surface level ( most manifolds have a 3* draft machined in)
    The angles need to be equal on a street car.

5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a recent thread on the same subject.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705755&page=2

6. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Uh, your photo of the angle finder.......very inaccurate if you measure from any point other than a perpendicular plane (90 degrees) at the yoke. And, for what it's worth, I have built a number of road race, formula race cars and so on. I always postiion the gearbox (tranny) flange (yoke) down a few degrees. Usually 3-4. Differential flange (yoke) an equal amount up. But, I am sure there are other ways. No argument from me.