Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pinion Angle QC

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by King Callie, Jun 9, 2016.

1. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Getting ready to assemble a 32 chassis with a banjo rear. Would like to eventually install a quick change center like the one from rodsville. My question is will the pinion angle change drastically enough to have to change how the rear is installed?

2. The bells should bolt right up to the QC center section just like they do on the banjo. You shouldn't have to change any of the mounts. Bolt it up and check the pinion angle, it should not change.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

It will slightly do to pinion being lower but not enough to worry..

4. I'm not sure about that Seb - the angle of the pinion doesn't change, it stays in the same relationship, it just sits in a different place - won't change the angle at all. The U-joint angles will change, but equally so. The only way it would change is if the relationship of the pinion in the center housing were rotated in relationship to the bell mounting holes that would cause it to rotate, and I don't think anyone makes them that way.

29AVEE8 and Johnny Gee like this.

5. Ed Zachery Don

hotroddon likes this.
  6. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Thanks for all replies

7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Someone correct me if I am incorrect. Assuming the OP has a closed drive line with stock bones, sure the torque tube will bolt right up, but won't the forward end of the wishbones end up higher in relation to their mounting point on the torque tube?

8. ????? Never met him but I did read about Samuel Langhorne Clemens once.

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was first building the chassis for my '32, I started out with a '40 rear converted to open drive, and had both U-joints set at 1 1/2-2 degree working angles, along with a target ride height and parallel trans and pinion. I then switched to a Q/C center section and had to drop the tranny and raise the pinion slightly to keep the 1 1/2-2 degree working angles, because the Q/C pinion is about 3" lower than the banjo.
    With an open drive, the pinion angle won't change, but the U-joint working angles will., when changing from a stock banjo to a Q/C.

10. That actually makes sense when it is explained that way. So what it comes down to is what you consider to me more valuable, if parallel is important to you or working U joint angle is important to you. Good explanation Bob. :cool:

V8 Bob likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Something has to change if the torque tube is bolted to the trans, if we are using a torque tube..No different than jacking the car up 3" with the stock banjo..?.