Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pines Speedway Reunion- Groveland, Mass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike bowling, Nov 1, 2016.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

Every year the Groveland, Mass. Historical Society puts on a reunion of the Pines Speedway at the location of the long closed track. It's always well attended, and this year even with a cold drizzle there was a great turnout. The event features cars and drivers of the tracks "golden years" (mostly 50's ,60's and early 70's). Two of the featured drivers are Ollie Silva ( the "Big O"- now deceased) and Bentley Warren, who actually worked his way up to driving in the Indy 500. ( and currently runs "Bentley's Saloon" in Arundel, Maine, where lots of car and bike gatherings aren't uncommon).
    I remember going there when I was in High School with a gang from Gloucester who ran a car sponsored by Leo's Esso on Western Ave. ( the Strong brothers, Ronnie and Tommy, Dave and Jimmie Eastman, and Ronnie and Kenny Herdman to name a few).
    Always a great time, and always stopped at the Agawam Diner in Rowley after for a burger on the way home. Those WERE the good old days!
    This is for YOU, Robert Palmer!! Enjoy. DSCN2924.JPG DSCN2925.JPG DSCN2926.JPG DSCN2927.JPG DSCN2929.JPG DSCN2933.JPG DSCN2935.JPG DSCN2936.JPG DSCN2937.JPG DSCN2938.JPG DSCN2939.JPG DSCN2943.JPG DSCN2948.JPG DSCN2950.JPG DSCN2953.JPG DSCN2956.JPG

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    wheeldog57, Stogy and AVater like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I usually make it to this event but this year I worked. Always a great show, and when they fire up the racecars-WOW! Thanx for the post Mike

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pictures Mike. Where the weather was so lousy, I went to the shop and worked on one of my cars. instead.

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Thanks - glad you enjoyed the pics.
    One important fact I neglected to mention- at this event at 12 noon, an announcer calls out over the PA system "Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!!". It really is a moment that'll take you back- close your eyes, listen to all that raw horse power, and it's the 60's again ( for me anyway).Thanks for reminding me, Ronnie.
    The last picture in the series is Mr. Steve Newman firing up the fuel injected small block "Big O"
    car that was created/ restored to honor Ollie Silva's impressive record from back in the day.
    Here's a couple more;

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

7. Great pics Mike! Seeing Ollie's 34 reminded me of when I first saw it at West Peabody Speedway around 1959.As I recall West Peabody was 1/4 mile around the OUTSIDE edge of the track and Ollie could make it all the way around in a 4 wheel drift! I don't think I ever saw him without those mirrored sunglasses;even at night. We campaigned a B car there for a couple years but didn't do much;probably because I was building the engines for it and about half of them blew up before they'd finish a race.What do expect for a 16 year old anyway? Lots of good memories.

mike bowling likes this.
  8. Great, Stuff Mike.
    Thank-You I will have it hit this one next year!

mike bowling likes this.
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

I read someplace that he had a problem with direct, bright light ( bright sun or track lighting at night).
    Haven't heard West Peabody's name mentioned in a L-O-N-G time!! DSCN2943.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Pine Speedway another track that had a very rich racing history.

Jimbo

Pines Speedway.jpg

mike bowling likes this.