Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinch weld/door seams - sealing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NORSON, Feb 6, 2014.

1. NORSON

NORSON

Trying to find the best way prevent rust from forming in the pinch weld and fold over seams in cowls and door skins. To be used on bare metal seams cleaned in molasses or acid tank baths. I've search and found several several products mentioned. A few are only available in OZ. What success have you guy had with these products? Any suggestions?
    Valvoline - (creep), Fishoilene, Penetrol, Waxoy, Ankor wax.
    Norml

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

SEM Rust Seal. Pour in, slosh around, let drain and dry. No rinse. Paint if you wish but not required.

3. NORSON

NORSON

I've been studying everything I can find on the above subject, (I've been snowed in). I decided to try the Penetrol I bought before the snow. What I'm trying to accomplish, is to find something that will "creep" into the pinch weld and fold-over seams to prevent rust from forming after I've cleaned the parts to bare metal, in a dip tank. Penetrol os actually a coating that can be used by itself or mixed with paint or primer. In normal applications it is used as an additive to cause paint to flow or level?? and smooth out brush streaks. It can also cause the paint or primer to flow into cracks and crevices.
    To test how it will work on car seams I decided to apply a small amount to the inside of a door and to see if it would seep though the fold-over seam to the outside of the door. For the test I used a small acid brush and dipped it three or four times and painted the inner corner joint about six inches long. After about twenty minutes it started to appear at the outer edge of the joint. The picture was taken about a hour after the test started and shows how it has wetted the area. At this point I'm satisfied it will do what I need it to do. Next I will try mixing it with primer and see if it will pull it through a seam. I would like to use it as an inner body paint. I'll be getting some primer after the snow clears and report on the results.
    Others have done the salt bath testing and comparisons and Penetrol seems to be one of the best at preventing rust from reappearing.
    Norm

Attached Files: