Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pinch me! 32 Cabrio is mine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crminal, Mar 5, 2014.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I'm bringing this back up Bryan! We need more pics and videos, and I'm wondering why it wasn't at GNRS! Are you going to bring it to LARS?

2. Daddio, never really thought of GNRS but this year at the Suede palace I did think that it would have fit right in.
    I'll drive it to Viva this year.
    Need to re-seal the intake manifold as it is starting to leak there pretty good.
    She got new plug wires, cap, points, etc. and runs great.
    Very happy indeed.

volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Best of both worlds, fold down roof with roll up windows. Great score.

4. daddio211

daddio211

Cool man, I'm just 100 miles out of Vegas so we'll see you there!

5. An update of sorts....
    Car has been more fun than I could imagine and has been pretty reliable.

Early this summer, I broke a tooth on the first gear and have to nurse her around a bit. 2nd gear starts are not a real issue with the 283.
    Figured I'd pretty much have to pull the motor and trans together and if I was to make a change, now would be the time.

Now I expect a good amount of feedback on this and welcome it (either way). As much as I respect the history of this car and it's Chevy engine, I'd love to put a flathead back in her.
    She's had her original and a 37 flatty along with a 56, then a 57 Chevy.
    I've gotten a decent (haven't torn it down yet) 24 stud '38 engine for her and intend to swap it with a new trans this winter.

It is difficult to make changes like this on a survivor. When you do it, you kind of have to decide where the "clock stopped" in history. Thanks for everyone's interest and to Ryan for his feature several months back. Interested in the Hamb point of view.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. Travis T

Travis T

It's your car, swap the engine if you want to. Although I'm not the best person to give that opinion as I hate seeing Chevies in Fords.

crminal and Runnin shine like this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It is very cool as it is! Please resist the temptation to make changes to make it more "traditional" when in fact what it is a time capsule of correctness.

A lot of what is touted on here as traditional is anything but. Large headlights mounted low as an example.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. I don't hate Chevy motors and that's not what this is about. But I prefer the Flathead. This car gave me an understanding of Chevy motors in a Ford because it was done in the early 60's, with a '57 engine.
    But... the other night, in a quiet, still garage, she softly whispered to me that she wanted a Ford back.;)

daddio211, kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

swapping a perfectly good 283 for a flathead is blasphemy...your Hamb Deuce Club membership is becoming highly questionable at this point...beware

10. Andy

Andy

Keep the 283 but put 25 tooth lincolns in the tranny. Stronger and gives a decent first and second gear.

11. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

That's an awesome find! I just scored a late 31 Cabriolet a few weeks back! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442935707.974533.jpg

12. One of my issues. PO broke a LZ first gear and this owner did as well. Trans has to have the engine out of the way for removal. I'm seeing a pattern of breakage here and not digging it.
    Btw, No hard first gear starts. I broke first with an easy bump start. Don't know about the PO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  13. Andy

Andy

Strange. I have a 25 tooth set in my 5W. It has been there since the 50's. It is behind a 276" flathead. I did get the gears hung up and broke some teeth. It was because the shifter was a 37 and no interlock. The flathead has more torque than a 283 or my 241 Hemi.
    Maybe something wrong with the case or shafts?

14. A Boner

A Boner

15. Well, that is also part of the equation. The 283 does run fine but is quite a leaker. Also, to make it correct, I'll replace one head, then new gaskets and it always ends up doing more than you thought. It has to come out when the trans does, so the timing seemed good for the swap.
    Liking the idea of all early 40's running gear. We'll see...

16. I think it's quite traditional as it is. If we hadn't seen it when you first bought it, we wouldn't know the difference if you put a flatty back in it. I'd love it either way. I once un-channelled a '34 roadster, removed the '55 Olds engine, put a 283 in it, ran it with old running gear and no knew it wasn't built in the fifties. Tim

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I have yet to see a 283 that doesn't mark its territory...that's part of the charm

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

First they change power plants then it throws off the stance... Then where are you left? Askin Larry what size wheels and tires to run and correct the newly formed problem, and that my friend is quickly becoming tradition around here.

3wLarry and kiwijeff like this.
  19. Very cool car, and a great find! I love true survivors.
    Keep the progress pics coming.

20. The 283 is traditional, and suits the car, but the flathead would be cool too.
    Its your car, and if its telling you to drop the flatty in, go for it.

If it were mine, I'd keep the Chev.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I call fifties era small block chevies in period hot rods "idiot detectors". You can spot the guy who knows nothing whatsoever about period hot rods in any crowd. He'll be the one who walks up, looks at a late fifties small-block and says "too bad, another belly-button small block".

Atwater Mike, thirtytwo and 3wLarry like this.
  23. Wow F. George, quite the fashionable way of just saying "Fashion". ;~)

Everyone's comments are helpful. For me, (and in the end, that's all that matters). What this really boils down to is that I've personally never been an engine swap guy (one manufacturer to another). I get why some guys are and appreciate it, right on.
    At some point in 1963, the owner decided that his car should have a modern engine and went with one of the most contemporary engines of the time. Hell, it cost him $125.00 to do it!
    Prior to that, it had a Blair's Speed Shop flatty in it and was a nice runner.

I'm guessing that in '63, it was the fashionable thing to do.

I'd like to turn back the clock a bit to the mid fifties when this car was doing just fine sporting it's Ford flathead. Gonna run with that.
    Thanks guys.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  24. tevintage

tevintage

Hi Crminal:
    Good choice. Your sweet cab will look right either way. We have enjoyed your thread and seeing this fine period hot rod revived. It landed in the right hands. Thanks. TEB

crminal likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like to say things with flair.

crminal likes this.
  26. Man that is just what I was thinking! That is one cool 32:cool: Have a blast with it and keep the 283. You have not seen leaks until you've had a flathead.:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

28. Our old roadster began life in 1955 with a late model flat head, open drive line early ford 3 speed. Next was a 389 Pontiac with a late model 3 speed, then a 406 Ford and a 4 speed a 400 smallblock Chevy and now the 327 and turbo 350.
    The car is wearing the same paint and interior as was applied in 1973. To preserve this car, regarding drivetrain, paint and interior it will stay like it is. We are preserving the history as it is, not digressing to one of its former forms as a hotrod.

29. tevintage

tevintage

Hi MercD:
    Can you get a picture up to show us your roadster? Thanks. TEB