Register now to get rid of these ads!

pin striping start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jantrix, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Jantrix

Jantrix

Hey guys, my 18 year old son is interested in trying his hand at pin striping. Any recommendations on where to get paint, brushes and what to practice on? The kid definitely has a artistic bent, excellent hand eye coordination and a steady hand.

I'll have to check YouTube for any tutorials.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I use tcpglobal.com theyve got everything!! Practice on glass, the use a razor to clean it off and practice more!!! :D

3. Jantrix

Jantrix

Thanks very much. Exactly what I need.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

A mack 00 sword ( blue) and a couple cans of one shot. Some turpentine to clean em, and neatsfoot oil to keep the brush conditioned when not in use. X 2 on the glass suggestion. I might suck but my brushes are in good shape!

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

What he said. Some basic colours, enough to look after your Mack 00 and go nuts. For what i know, what Greddybear has said and others have told me the mack 00 blue is the best brush to learn with. Stripe everything and anything not just flat and do it often. Old bottles,car panels, pretty much anything that doesn't move. By the time you've emptied 2-3 1 shot cans you'll know what you need to pick up on. Go to the pinhead louge and download designs. Keep you early work aswell, you can then see where you're improving. Just play with your brush, get to know it, have fun and look after it, just like a new girlfiend.

You need no more than what has been suggested by others so you don't need to spend alot of money. Just hit it, don't worry about the outcome, just get to know your brush and as with the girlfriend bit, its all about how you use your fingers on the brush:D

6. Jantrix

Jantrix

Good stuff thanks.

7. TJratz

TJratz

Kafka brushes and one shot is what I use...got mine from coast air brush.com

8. Get you kid to search here.

9. Blue 00 Mack and 1Shot from either TCPGlobal or Coast. I use mineral spirits to clean and 1Shot reducer for paint thinner. Practice on glass (thinner the better to reduce shadows) with a solid background. Youtube some videos on practice strokes. IF you're (he's) into reading/research, get Alan Johnson's book!

Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!! Then more practice!

10. What they all say.

Learn the basics of freehand without grids or sketching it out Let him develop his OWN style.

Once he really gets the hang of it then he has to do it in front of people. Striping is half art and the other half putting on a show. And have fun with it.

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler but I would think just start hitting shows and watching guys pull stripes. That is how I learned to play guitar.

12. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i go to dickblick.com and i get my brushes from the local automotive finishes store

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

It looks like a lot of good advice here, try Coast Airbrush's website for supplies , good selection of brushes etc.