Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pimpin'=easy - Welding=hard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoman, May 11, 2006.

1. repoman

repoman

Damn. I'm learning how to weld. So far I'm doing rather well. My best friend has been welding for almost 20 years. He's been giving me advice. He gave me a good complement this week -after welding on my cab corner, he told me he couldn't do any better than I did. This is coming from a pro, so I felt good about it.

Now even though I'm a fat bastard, I got G.A.M.E :). I have videos of women doing very bad things at my request. Easy. I gotta tell ya', this welding thing is much harder!

Every time I go near a screw hole, I just burn the thing bigger. I can't close a hole fo' shizzle! I can butt-weld thin tin together like I'm just lampin' cold mackin'. -Fo' real!

I needs to find me a broad that can lay a bead. Den I can just lay back and keeps my minds on my money!

2. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

?? I guess practice make perfect. ??

3. arkracing

arkracing

I assume that you are using a MIG???

how are you trying to fill the holes? - You can back them with a Piece of Copper to help. Try to start @ one edge and then work you way around untill you close in the hole. Take you time. Do "Short Bursts" with the trigger & then let it cool a little and then hit it again.

You might have to much heat..but I'm sure your buddy has checked all this stuff?????

what type of welder?
    Steel needs to be super clean?
    is the steel Pitted/Heavily Rusted?

4. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

There is this chick that strips with my ole lady and she is a welder by day striper by night haha And i guess she is preety smoking want her number haha:D

5. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

I like to make a "spider-web" on the hole if it is not too big. 1/4"max. Cross sides, back and forth with a mig. Keep the wire speed way high, amps high too. I like the hot and fast technique. As soon as you make contact with your base, move fast. If you move after tack, and pull your stinger away as soon as you bridge the gap, it will create a solid "web". Just don't move slow. Just tack point to point. And let it cool after each cross. Let the wire be your filler.
    Tito

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

LoL...are you talking about the welding or the women Ark? Hahaha ;)

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I took a piece of 1 foot piece of 1/2" copper pipe and smashed the end flat and folded it over for added thickness then bent the flattened end at the appropriate angle. Use the other end for a handle and put the flat spot behind the hole as you weld....slicker than snot.

Bill

8. deuce4life

deuce4life

Does Miller carry equipment for lampin' cold mackin'? Does that take a special spool of wire?

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Guess what I'm makin' tonite......good idea and cheap.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Miller Mackamatic 6-4! :D

So wait a minute... someone fill me in on the copper thing. This is s new one for me (which isn't saying much, most is)... I would like to know more about this little trick. I never thought of this before. So I assume the copper acts as sort of a backing plate that the weld won't penatrate and allows better control of the puddle.... or something?? :confused: Is that right??

11. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

right you are....

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent! I love it! I MUST try it straight away!

13. repoman

repoman

Good tips! I am using a MIG, Lincoln 155. I was using a slow speed/low power. I try cranking things up and trying the web method, combined with the copper backing.

DirtyT, you need to hook me up. Now I need an excuse to go to Detroit

14. Frank

Frank

I was reading something the other day I never really thought about. When you first strike an arc, you are dealing with cold metal so that first inch or so may not have the penetration you need if the metal is very thick?

I have some welding to do with a 115v MIG and was wondering would if it would be better if I were to heat the area to be welded with a propane torch first and get it good and hot before laying a bead? I'm only talking on thick steel, not sheetmetal work.

15. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Repo, where were you at in January when I filled all the holes in my roadster frame. Must have been about 50 of them. You would have gotten all the practice you'd ever want! Mike.

16. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

It also won't stick to the copper. I had to fill a hole in a spindle boss. I drove a piece of copper pipe down inside it and went to town. When I was done I drove the copper pipe back out and the hole in the spindle boss was still perfectly round. I could see the underside of the weld from the inside where the hot metal had laid down on the coppper.

17. repoman

repoman

Yeah, but you wouldn't have a frame left!

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome! I really want to run home and try this now!!!

19. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Just like pimpin, it takes practice.

Chicks dig fat guys. :D

20. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

"Dont go in da baffroom fo at lease 35- 45 minutes,somebody open da window" "you call dat game"........fridays ice cuybe john witherspoon.