Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pilot Bearing Puller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rossco, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

The cheapy took a shit, so seeking the tooling wisdom of others..
    Know that Snap-On and OTC make some blind side pullers, but never used them.

Suggestions??

2. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

fill the pilot bushing with grease, get a dowel rod that just fits into the hold, hit Dowel with Hammer......it will Hydrolic out. Cheap!

3. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Little hard to do on blind side bores bud, but thanks for the advice.

4. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i would cry. I hate bearings......and Kevin Bacon.

5. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Hey, Im a 56-72 Pontiac guy, always worked on my 4 speed stuff. Simple brass bushing on those though. You're welcome though, sorry it was the wrong info.

6. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Hey no harm, no foul. I take all advice I can get, and sort it accordingly.

7. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

This is my tried and true method that is actually FREE.

1. Get some toilet paper and wet it.... (with water, not piss).
    2. Stuff the wet toilet paper into the center of the pilot bearing.
    3. Find a steel rod (or something similar) that is slightly smaller than the i.d. of the bearing.
    4. Give the rod a few good whacks with a hammer...driving the wet toilet paper into the center hole of the bearing.
    5. You may have to pack a little more wet TP into the hole to build up some hydraulic pressure.
    6. One final whack will force the bearing out and onto the steel rod you used to drive the TP in.

Works on bronze bearings, sealed bearings.. etc.

unfortunatly it will pack the TP into the bearing and it is pretty much useless after that... usually taking it out for a reason right?

I use this method all the time at work. You can win bets with it or free lunch with the NFG's.

- Jon

Just saw Pontiacres reply.. Grease works too!, Toilet paper is more fun to win bets with!

8. They are all blind holes. If they were not you would have a oil leak.

9. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Never heard of it being done that way.. but it makes sense..
    Cool beans have to give it a shot..

10. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

We used to use modeling clay and a dowel, it isn't as lazy as grease so it will work on just about any type pilot bearing.

11. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

I got what your saying, didnt make sense at first. Problem I have is its a press fit omni-directional bearing. The kind you have to freeze to put in. No seals on it so it would just shit the grease out thru the bearing.

12. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Ohhhh- Those are a pain!

I typically use an itty bitty drill bit and drill 3 or 4 holes in it then collapse it with a cold chisel. You can pretty much fingerfuck it out after that.

13. old beet

old beet

In that case use peanut butter!

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Chunky even!

15. jerry

jerry

I've got a Proto4080-B and 4080-S puller. The B is a 4 finger expanding puller. The S is the spreader and slide hammer mount.

Pulled a roller bearing and 2 bronze pilot bearing last weekend with a total of 9 hits on the slide.

I don't know how old it is but I wouldn't trade it or sell for any amount. Don't use it often but it sure does make a hard job easy!

jerry

16. If you want to re-freeze it so it'll shrink enough to remove it, try a can of that stuff you dust your keyboard with. Turn it upside down and the spray is REAL cold!

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A slide hammer with a heavy duty hook on the end should pull it out. The canned air trick red sled suggested might work well with that.

18. Just be sure there's no open flame or sparks nearby-those cans have butane in 'em!

19. This is the easiest & cleanest way to do it. Once I was told about this method, I'll never use the grease method again...joe

20. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you have a puller that will allow you to screw a machine bolt into it; grind most of the head off, on all but one side. Then you can push the ground off end of the bolt head into the hole and catch the portion of the head on the bearing and try to slide hammer it out. If you have a 1/2" hole you might be able to use a 3/8" bolt and grind all but 1/8" on one side of the head off.

21. I used the grease and the dowel method for years until one day we are whailing on a bearing and the dude that owns the engine comes in and reminds me it is a $$$2900.00$$$ Crankshaft and that just did not look very proffessional or proper.Then there is the time when we had a roller bearing shatter and all that was left was the outer race. We took a die grinder to another high buck crank with the owner watching!!!! Do yourself a favor and get the right tool for the job. We use a Mac 2-jaw>>>>.Oh yeah, about that grease method. Try and get one out that is worn in a oblong pattern>>>>.

22. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Initially what I had was a avaition rexnard expanding collet puller..same thing as a blind side puller, except it was 30 years old. The guy that gave to me changed out some parts with some homemade shit, and some harbor freight pieces. Well did the job for awhile, then kaput... looked at making my own, but figured with all the machining, heat treating and stuff, cost of material be cheaper to buy. Looked at snap-on. Lucky I'm in cahoots with the regional rep, so he is shipping one to try out. If it works, and I like it Ill buy it. Just wondering what other brands or applications others had to broaden my horizons.

23. Grease method always worked for me, don't forget to put the new one in the freezer for awhile.

24. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

the wet toilet paper or kleenix or paper towel trick is the best. thats the way i have done it for years. never fails.

25. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

26. If it WASN'T blind, it wouldn't work:D

27. Koz

Koz

I use an old pilot shaft with the gear cut off. This thing has removed hundreds over the years filling the hole with grease and one whack from about a three pound bronze hammer. Used to be my dads, one of the origional hot rodders.

28. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Ya already caught that one.. didnt fully wrap my head around what pontiacres said, and inserted foot in mouth.

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

i just had this problem yesterday,i was helping a buddy with his jeep and we could not get that sucker out with the grease method(wich i have used time and again)so what i did is ran a 3/8 pipe tap down the center of it then put in a close nipple with a bushing to1/2 then a coupling with an eyelet that had a 1/2 plug welded to it.then i put a strap around the rear end and used a come along to pull it out!!!!!i still had to beat on it a little with a hammer with tension on it before it came free!

30. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Holy-shit.. Havent had one that bad on a car, couple on A/C i have had to get creative with, but damn.