Register now to get rid of these ads!

pikes peak hill climb!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toucan, Jun 30, 2013.

1. toucan

toucan
    from sc

for the first time ever redbull is streaming live video of the hill climb.may not be hamb-like but i think it is an awesome race. look up pikes peak hill climb or redbull you guys are smart enough to find it. its on all day!

2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Very Cool! Thanks for the information!

3. Well the hil climb is an up hill road race any more and most of the equipment is highly specialized but it is still a very old race. Probably nearly as old if not older than the lakes races.
    I would watch it if I had the time or a chance to do so. It was on my bucket list until it became paved.

4. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Too bad they paved the road

5. My sentiments exactly. Paving it ruined it for me. :(

6. toucan

toucan
    from sc

new record! awesome !

7. morepwr

morepwr
    from socal

+1 Totally different race now.

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Found this photo in Utah archives while researching my Salt Lake City Diamond T. Don't know if the photo is from SLC, Denver, or some other city?

Of course, Pike's Peak wasn't the only hill climb event back in the day. The Stanley Steamer dealer in Denver sponsored a race up Mt. Jefferson.

[​IMG]

9. Thanks for the heads up.

I realize that the race is not the same and it was a big decision/controversy to pave it, but having been up it 2 times in the last 2 years, once on dirt and then right after they paved it all the way, it is still nuts to be doing any speed at all on the course. It is one of those you have to drive up in person and think about what it takes to race on it, there are some very long drops that give me the willies.

I think that they could do a round trip race now so that they could smoke the brakes on the way down, it would make it different for sure.

10. I've never done any competitive driving, would like to do an Indy car, sprint car or even a Winston cup car (or what ever in hell they call them this year) sometime, but there is no way in hell you would get me strapped into anything to race up that road, pave or not!
    Many years ago the Unser family owned that hill. after watching videos of the hill climb, I understand why they did so well at Indy, it was a Sunday drive in the country for them.

11. TRuss

TRuss

It is definitely not the same race since the paving of the entire course...It is much more dangerous now.

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Oh! You mean like this shot from 1916 of Pike's Peak?

Attached Files: