Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pie Crust slicks look a like

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64 Thunderbolt, May 13, 2012.

1. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Where can I get a set of tires that look like a set of pie crust slicks that have tread that you can run on the street? I don't want a set of cheater slicks. I want something that looks like pie crust slicks but has tread so that if I get caught in the rain I won't have any issues. I also want something that will last a long time unlike cheater slicks.

2. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Hurst Racing Tires out of Oregon!

3. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I think they can cut any tread design you want in them....

4. Hurst can cut sipes in for rain driving and their cheaters LAST A LONG TIME. Very thick rubber on those.

5. scrmkr

scrmkr
    from memphis tn

Great reply. I checked out the site and their album is worth the visit.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

7. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

What size will look the best with a 15x10 rim?
    I don't want something that looks like it's stretched to the hilt to fit the rim. I want a big tire but also something that doesn't look to big for the rim.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Cokers are also a good choice. They've got a channel that runs into the blocks, and they're taken from original molds from back in the '60s.

-Brad

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cody at Hurst Racing tyres is very easy to deal with.

10. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

The Hurst's are great and so are the Radir wheels version Ive ran both and have zero complaints.

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

coker has them .

12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If you run a 10" wide tire on a fairly light hot rod and hit standing water at speed, you're gonna hydroplane no matter how many sipes the tires have.

blue

13. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Hurst has my vote for looks! Haven't ran them yet but they look AWESOME!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attached Files:

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I did it back in the 70's in a 63 nova, straight axle car, Firestone indy tires my father was driving it was a customers car we hit a puddle on the parkway and did a 360, ended up going the same way luckily, then in around 84 I had narrowed my wife's o/t 70 Plymouth had Mickey Thompson 16.50 tires and hit a puddle and changed lanes, there was nothing I could do to stop it. Luckily no one was in that lane.Then one year took the Plymouth up to the Rhinebeck show, and on the way home it started to pour, we ended up driving about 60 of the 120 miles at 20 miles per hour.So it's not just the light cars you need to worry about.

15. Lookin good Wally!:cool:

16. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I have the pie crust sidewalls with the dirt track block tread. I got caught in a huge downpour on the way home one night, and they did great.

17. Another vote for Cody. Great to deal with, fast service, excellent product!!-MIKE:cool:

[​IMG]

18. PM "SmokinBill"

His car is as right as rain and he has "crusts" on his car.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Myu 48 has been in the bar ditch three times over the years because of running N-50's that had tread on them and hitting a puddle. You run wide tires with little tread on them and sooner or later your ass will be spinning down the road if you actually drive the car. They might be ok for the Arizona and SoCal guys who don't stand much of a chance of ever getting caught in an afternoon thunder storm but I've been caught in too many of them over the past 40 years to want to risk a vehicle and life and limb just to have "cool looking tires".

20. 48 is right!

I'm running some very expensive Mickey Sportsman Radials and with just the slightest amount of water on the road surface they suck!

When my car goes into 2nd gear, the car becomes a freakin' carnival ride.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What's really amazing is Cody's dad cuts those patterns freehand! It looks so good you'd swear he must measure it all out, but it's just years of practice to get a feel for the spacing. Watched him do a tire and I was in awe.

22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I have the 900 x 15 Radirs on my willys, they seem to be a very hard compound but i havn't driven on them yet.

[​IMG]

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Your going to get another Yah! vote for Hurst. Cody is the best and works his butt of to get the stuff they make out.
    Now on the wheel width, If you are going to run the Hurst pie crust type stuff, Sell the 10" wide wheels now and get something in the 8" range. That's one of the things people screw up on most frequently on nostalgia cars. Nothing looks worse than a tire stretched over a wide wheel on a fenderless car, or a car trying to be pre '64. 8" was about as wide as it got in the H.A.M.Bs chosen time frame.

24. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

That's good to know! I haven't bought any wheels yet so I'll do that.
    So what your saying was back in the Gasser days of the 60's everybody was running 8" wheels?

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, pretty much. Unless you were running a dragster or something along thiose lines, most doorslammer type cars until the later sixties ran a maximum of 8 or 8 1/2" wheels and an 8.20 slick. Dragsters usually ran a 16x10, by the way, which is why they still look proportionate.

27. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Great info here. This changes what I'll be looking for!
    Thanks for all the help!

28. [​IMG]

These pie crusts from towl city have a nice tread on them for a cheater.

I personally like the smootie that they sell and the chain link style tread is one that I did see when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

Note: I have no relationship with towel city and I do think that Cody puts out a real decent tire as well as being a HAMBer.

29. Read my mind.

30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Run cheaters or don't run them. I read all the threads, blah blah's cheaters work great in the rain, B.S. There's a big difference between a road thats damp and one that has water standing. Slicks were not designed for wet conditions. The only reason cheaters had a line of tread was so the cops would leave us alone. Lippy:D