Register now to get rid of these ads!

pictures of Hudson drag racers... lets see them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PacaRacer50, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

Most famous Hudson today (Doc)
    [​IMG]

Jim

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Looks-wise, I still believe the Jet was a $30-million goof that put Hudson out of independent production.:(

BUT, the Jet engine WAS a six.;) Anybody know the length of the Jet six VS. the 308?:rolleyes: How much trouble would it actually be to cram the 308 into a Jet? :eek:

3. super-six

super-six

The 232/262/308 is quite a bit larger than the Jet 202. The firewall needs to be relieved to accommodate the larger Hornet engine.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I recall reading in Hemmings Classic Car that the Jet engine was the old Commodore Eight with two cylinders removed.

What an ill-proportioned car they are. It's sad, too, as the basic '52-'54 Ford style they have is some of the best of the post-war era. Hudson should have just mass produced the Italia instead.

[​IMG]

-Dave

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. 47Hudson

47Hudson

6. Not sure but believe this is the same Hornet powered Jet that is now in Garlit's museum. Yes, it either takes a huge dent in the firewall to get a Hornet engine in there, or the firewall gets cut out of the body and placed back a bunch. Jack Clifford tried to legalize "Hornet Jets" to the NHRA in the early '60s telling them the factory made a run of them for the Mexican Road Race. It wasn't true but a few, like the one shown, got built in that '60s period and raced as gassers in most cases.

Attached Files:

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Tom Scardina will be our Guest in October and would love to have MORE Hudsons!
    [​IMG]

8. ol Racer

ol Racer
    from McKean, Pa

FYI

Picture of my Hudson Drag Car with Modified Hornet 6. Its been severely lightened, gutted interior, polycarbonate windows, etc, but still little heavy. Only had out at few Fun Run's to primarily 'shakedown' using two Rochester 2bbl carbs. Best Et so far only high 14's.. This Yr Installing Trans Brake and homemade Hillborn F/Inj set-up.... Work in Progress....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. Buzzman72

Buzzman72

Back around 1970 or so, HOT ROD Magazine ran a tiny "tech" blurb about a drag racer by the name of Lou Fabian who was running a Hudson Jet. There was no photo of the car, but the tech blurb had something to do with reversing some Olds Toronado wheels to fit confines of the rear fender wells on his Hudson Jet so it could still run in its class [whatever that class was...40+ years has dimmed the ol' memory banks a bit]. Anyone old enough to remember Lou Fabian and his Hudson Jet? Any pics out there?

10. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

11. I think Lou was from the Chicago area. I sold him the 327" Hornet engine & Hydro out of my '54 Gasser.

12. Here's a couple shots of my '54 Hornet coupe which I built while in the Army in 1966 at Edgewood Arsenal, MD. Engine was set back 10%, beam axle front end, 308 bored out to 327, Hydro Stick trans and a 4:11 rear.

Attached Files:

13. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Love this thread. Keep them coming.

14. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

15. Larry Fabian

Larry Fabian

My father raced this car, Lou Fabian. Sending a pic from hot rod magazine from the 1970 nationals. I believe it was a '58, and he ran a boss 302 and he was from PA. IMG_0789 (2).jpeg

16. earlymopar

earlymopar

Marvin Walker, Newberg, Oregon M-Stock Record holder in the mid-60s. Also raced L-stock as shown here.

Marvin Walker's Hudson.jpg

17. Larry Fabian

Larry Fabian

I have to correct this. The car was a '53 Hudson Jet and my father ran a 289" in it and he used the rear axle housing from a '57 Ford station wagon with Olds Toronado wheels which actually had the same bolt pattern and 15" slicks. It was the '71 nationals in Indy. Sorry for the wrong original information

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  18. Amazing what you stumble across while looking for something else. On page 1 there is a B/W scan of a magazine article of the Little Toad. Here it is in color...not my image!
    little toad gasser.jpg

19. Oilguy

Oilguy

In the background is the Green Toad of the Seattle area. Had toads painted on the rear quarters. They also had a two door coupe that was similar in color and graphics.

Attached Files:

20. farna

farna

Sorta old thread dug back up in the last few days! The Italia was considered quite a handsome car in 1954, though a bit odd today. It had some design ques from many Italian makes such as early 50s Ferraris, and was Designed by Frank Spring with input from Carrozzeria Touring, an Italian coach builder in Milan. Times and tastes in design change!!

The Italia was canned when Nash bough Hudson out... er... "merged" with Hudson.. to form American Motors Corporation in 1954 shortly after the Italia was introduced. The Italia was based on the Jet, and the new company canned the pudgy looking Jet since it would compete directly with the great selling Nash Rambler, which was badged as a Nash or Hudson the first few years. All the Hudson car bodies were dated and would be expensive to update due to their design, so Hudson got face lifted Nash bodies. Nash cars were spring softer for a better ride than the Hudson's more performance oriented suspension (and design -- slightly lower center of gravity). Hudson models (referred to as "Hash" models by some) received unique grilles and dashboards, using some Hudson parts for the dash, and retained the Hudson big sixes -- the small Jet six was discontinued. If the Jet had been continued a few more Italias would probably have been made as a "halo" car, but then it would compete with the low volume Nash-Healey... so maybe not... the Nash-Healey was dropped after the merger also.

21. Can't leave the page without asking if anyone has an update on the whereabouts of Chuck Purcell or his "Black Beauty" '54 Hudson Hornet coupe drag race car. Thanks.

Attached Files:

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is the former Jack Clifford Hudson, it arrived here in Oregon in 1964, to the dismay of us Olds racers.